Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity doesn't connect - 2nd hand 2013 Model S P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2013 Model S P85 -- my first Tesla (if you don't count the solar panels), and I'm in LOVE! This car has lifetime free Premium Connectivity, but I can't get it to work. I'm located in Los Angeles area, so we should have good coverage. I tried a screen reboot and the "4-finger" reboot, and still no connection. It does connect to our home wifi when in the garage, so is updating software, and talks to the app when on wifi. Any suggestions for what I should try next would be appreciated.

You probably only have 3G LTE cellular service capability. Like an obsolete cell phone, you must upgrade to 4G cellular service, which Tesla offers as an option. Can't find 3G in almost all service areas anymore. Confirm by going to Software, and then press additional info under the car image. It will list your car's capability.

Upvote 0
If you have a little money to burn, also consider an MCU2 upgrade. It replaces MCU1 (the main computer and main display) along with a new Instrument cluster (another computer and display). It improves the display, is more responsive, and offers some additional features. It also includes the cellular 4G/LTE as part of the package. I think the cost for your car is $1750 and includes the labor but check with Tesla. It costs an extra $500 to retain FM/XM, but you may not care. AM is a goner, but rather worthless in your current car.

While not cheap, it's really a bargain considering what you get. On a Lexus, a small 9" display unit will cost $4000 for the part alone to put it in perspective.

Upvote 0
If you have a little money to burn, also consider an MCU2 upgrade. It replaces MCU1 (the main computer and main display) along with a new Instrument cluster (another computer and display). It improves the display, is more responsive, and offers some additional features. It also includes the cellular 4G/LTE as part of the package. I think the cost for your car is $1750 and includes the labor but check with Tesla. It costs an extra $500 to retain FM/XM, but you may not care. AM is a goner, but rather worthless in your current car.

While not cheap, it's really a bargain considering what you get. On a Lexus, a small 9" display unit will cost $4000 for the part alone to put it in perspective.
The other alternative is to just upgrade the cellular module, which was $200 several years ago. I did that first and then did the MCU2 upgrade a year or two later. The MCU2 upgrade is worth it, although if you're short on spare cash after spending the money on the car, just doing the cell upgrade first might make sense.

Upvote 0