Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's Included in Premium Connectivity Pkg circa 2014?

I have a 2014 MS60 base model with Premium Connectivity I bought about 4 months ago.

I found the attached table in a recent online article but like most articles I find, it doesn't distinguish between the refreshed 2018+ models and my "classic"! So I'm never sure what is and isn't included for MY vintage build! PC is the ONLY optional license I have, so now I just assume that I'm not licensed for any feature that doesn't seem to work.

This table says I should have Navigation, Satellite maps and Live Traffic Visualization. I do get satellite maps and Live Traffic Visualization. I can search and find addresses but I don't get turn-by-turn directions. I don't have a Navigation menu in the car. I can use the mobile app to set a location to navigate to, and send it to the car, but when I select the location, I get the popup but selecting the address doesn't give turn-by-turn directions or do anything.

Based on all this, I'm assuming back in the day, Navigation was ala carte, separate from Premium Connectivity?

The wifi and Browser work, TuneIn and games work, though I don't play games. I don't stream music, but it's good to know I can with TuneIn. I get texts and can view them on the IC, so Phone Notifications seems to work.

Lastly, Sentry Mode was introduced in 2017 and probably not supported on the older models with AP1 HW.
"If you enable Sentry Mode when your car is left unattended, it enters standby mode and starts recording videos of the
nearby environment via external cameras in your car. These are the same cameras that Tesla uses for Autopilot."

Attachments

• Premium Connectivity Table.jpg
    Premium Connectivity Table.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 42
I purchased my 2013 without what was offered as the "tech package" which included navigation. Eventually all the stuff in the tech package became standard, not all at once, and I don't know when. If there's anything else from this list missing, the car probably doesn't have navigation at all.

If I recall, the package included:
Navigation
Lit door handles
Driver profiles
Powered liftgate
Auto dimming mirrors
Homelink

"Premium Connectivity" is grandfathered in on our cars, there is no monthly connection fee.
Unlimited supercharging was an option for the '60, but if the car was traded to Tesla they may remove that feature and you'd have to pay-as-you-go. They remove it from the '85's but I'm not sure of their policy on the '60's since it was a paid for option.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I purchased my 2013 without what was offered as the "tech package" which included navigation. Eventually all the stuff in the tech package became standard, not all at once, and I don't know when. If there's anything else from this list missing, the car probably doesn't have navigation at all.

If I recall, the package included:
Navigation
Lit door handles
Driver profiles
Powered liftgate
Auto dimming mirrors
Homelink

"Premium Connectivity" is grandfathered in on our cars, there is no monthly connection fee.
Unlimited supercharging was an option for the '60, but if the car was traded to Tesla they may remove that feature and you'd have to pay-as-you-go. They remove it from the '85's but I'm not sure of their policy on the '60's since it was a paid for option.
Thanks Brass Guy. My car has driver profiles, but I've only created one so far, the wife doesn't drive the car. No Navigation, no home link (though I just bought a used one on eBay!), no powered lift gate, no auto-dimming mirrors. I'll have to check but I don't think I have lit door handles. Yep, no monthly fee for the premium connectivity. That's the only optional license I have. No SuC, no Tech Pkg, no Nav. Nada.

Upvote 0
Originally all cars had something like 3 years of data included in the purchase, but it was several more years before Tesla figured out how they were going to charge for data. When they finally decided, our old cars were given free data for life. So it's not really an optional license. It sounds like your car was originally ordered with no options if it's black or flat white.

As far as adding a HomeLink module, I don't know how that would work. Do you know if you can get the car to recognize it and display it's options on the screen? Maybe it would pick it up after a software update.

If you are getting texts on the IC, you have the upgraded MCU so that's good.

Add to my tech package list: walk-up unlock/auto present door handles.

Upvote 0
Originally all cars had something like 3 years of data included in the purchase, but it was several more years before Tesla figured out how they were going to charge for data. When they finally decided, our old cars were given free data for life. So it's not really an optional license. It sounds like your car was originally ordered with no options if it's black or flat white.

As far as adding a HomeLink module, I don't know how that would work. Do you know if you can get the car to recognize it and display it's options on the screen? Maybe it would pick it up after a software update.

The cars had lifetime connectivity and Supercharging included originally.

Upvote 0
I haven't found official information, but I remembered replying to this thread a long time ago:

Upvote 0

Thanks again. Yep, black. No, still have MCU1.

Shortly after buying the car I replaced the bubbling IC and upgraded the 3G to 4G LTE with used parts off eBay.

The new IC display worked but had a message at the bottom saying it needed a firmware upgrade.

I had a SC appt to install a splash guard under the frunk and they charged me an extra half hour labor for the firmware upgrade.

Total cost $410, much better than $2500 for the MCU2 upgrade but still have the slower MCU1 processor and potential memory error sometimes in the future. And I still have FM radio in addition to TuneIn

Without Navigation, I don't notice the slower processor. I just use my phone for navigation!

As for the Home link, it cost $25 on eBay and looks easy to install so I'll see if it's recognized automatically.

I've got the OEM garage door opener on the visor and MyQ app on the phone so I'm not too incented to pay much more for Homelink like I did for the IC firmware, so it may be installed but inoperative, oh well.

MyQ can link with newer cars but not ours, and it's a subscription and I'm not doing that.

Upvote 0
Maybe I remember something wrong about text messages. I'm fairly certain there was no talk-to-text before I got the MCU upgrade. I had a bubbling touch screen and still 3G, so not much more $$ to upgrade.

It sounds like you're an avid DIYer yourself so good luck with the car. How many miles on it? I still really enjoy mine, even though the user interface has deteriorated consistently through the "updates."

Upvote 0
Maybe I remember something wrong about text messages. I'm fairly certain there was no talk-to-text before I got the MCU upgrade. I had a bubbling touch screen and still 3G, so not much more $$ to upgrade.

It sounds like you're an avid DIYer yourself so good luck with the car. How many miles on it? I still really enjoy mine, even though the user interface has deteriorated consistently through the "updates."
That's the thing, I didn't want an older model but it only had a little less than 40k miles and was very clean in and out. With an aluminum body and frame it'll never rust. I didn't buy it for any self driving capabilities so not really worried about that. Do I wish I had a bigger battery pack? Sure. How long would it have taken, knowing what I know now, to find a similar great deal on a clean low miles car with more features enabled? Hard to say.

Upvote 0
That's the thing, I didn't want an older model but it only had a little less than 40k miles and was very clean in and out. With an aluminum body and frame it'll never rust. I didn't buy it for any self driving capabilities so not really worried about that. Do I wish I had a bigger battery pack? Sure. How long would it have taken, knowing what I know now, to find a similar great deal on a clean low miles car with more features enabled? Hard to say.
Yeah, I don't mind DIY, but don't want to mess with the high voltage stuff.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I don't mind DIY, but don't want to mess with the high voltage stuff.
Same here. I don't do much with electronics though. I did replace the IC myself when it bubbled, but I didn't know they replace it when they do the MCU upgrade or I would've put the crappy one back in. Each time I repair a door handle I add the light - the wiring is already there. The infamous paddle gear is less than $2, but the LED light is like $30. I've done 3 of them so far, and I think it's worth it.
Self driving/autopilot? Nope, it was not comforting when I tried it on a loaner. It's hard for me to understand why you wouldn't want to drive this car anyway.

Upvote 0