Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maps UI Frozen Regularly since 2023.32.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dan D

Oct 26, 2023
UK
My 2019 P100D has developed a weird issue where I sometimes enter the vehicle and the maps screen is frozen. Not frozen in updating GPS location or traffic information. It quite happily follows my drive, but I am unable to touch anything on the maps screen. The search bar, moving the map, selecting traffic view or chargers view etc.

The strange part is that everything else works fine, all menus and music etc. Including things that use the touch screen in the same area as the maps behind. The navigation hasn't actually stopped working as I can ask the assistant to navigate me somewhere and it will. But I will still not be able to touch the map or route or search etc. No response from the navigation app at all.

A two scroll wheel reboot fixes the issue and I can interact with the maps app again afterwards. It never happens during a drive but only when I get in the car from the beginning. This is whether the car has been parked for 5 minutes or 12 hours. It doesn't do it ever time but it probably is doing it about 50-70% of the time.

Is this just a software bug that anyone else is experiencing or do I need to investigate this further and pay Tesla to diagnose?

Hopefully the next update will fix the issue. Your car is fairly "new" and shouldn't have an SD card problem yet, but the Nav maps are downloaded onto a standard SD card that is inserted into the MCU. That may be going bad for some reason.

I'm hoping for an update at this point. I presume that Tesla will not just try to replace the nav sd in the MCU from the description I mentioned in the OP. I'm guessing they will want to charge me for a diagnosis first and as it doesn't happen all the time, I'm not sure if they would even experience the issue.

I haven't really. The 21 wheels came with the car and the only reboots I've ever done have been the two wheel scroll ones.

I don't know if this counts but I did have the 12v battery checked a few weeks back and it was completely disconnected to be checked. Would this have killed the onboard MCU computer?