Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023.12.9 rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been bothered for quite a while how each software "update" seems to make the interface worse. Starting way back when they removed map colors. Grey background and gray roads - a brilliant idea - but traffic lines show me the roads. Then they removed green traffic lines. Now I can't tell a highway from a river. I can't tell if a road is closed or traffic is flowing. (This unnecessarily added five to ten miles a few times.) Removed + - buttons so pretty much have to pinch. Removed the north compass button for when I zoom and scroll but accidentally twist the map. Removed the date and day of week. They Pushed controls I often use further into menus. I could go on...

Now for the latest "update."

I often press the shift lever to D too soon after pressing the brake so I look for PRND and it isn't where I look. They moved it; swapped a few controls. No apparent reason for this, but they've done it before and I can get used to it again. They removed the outline of the battery icon so now there's just a green rectangle hanging in space. These changes are irritating but I'll adjust.

(For newer members who may be reading this, my car does not have navigation; it was part of a package I did not select back in 2013. Still no regrets, it's perfect for my use.)

I needed to use the map to check some back roads I was driving. So as usual, I pinch zoom and scroll so I can just see my destination on one edge of the map and my car on the other. But now the map scrolls to center the car every 7 seconds. So I cannot scroll the map and have it stay where I put it. I thought, "Maybe if I search for a location it'll stay put." It does stay at the scrolled position, but now it puts a window top to bottom of the screen with a picture and reviews that cover nearly half the map, so I have a much smaller map to use. I close the review and "Zip!" it scrolls across the state to my car again.

I cannot use my map simply as a map anymore.

Congratulations to Tesla UI designers, you exceeded my expectations and made my interface even less useful.

I use double tap to zoom in. But no zoom out. I used to double- or triple-tap the - button which was great; zoom out a bunch immediately without rotating. I've tried the voice command, but it is way too slow; especially if I need to zoom out more than once right away.
So I zoom out then when I get to the on-ramp it actually zooms in again on it own.

Sure, tapping the orientation button fixes north up. When I've pinched and scrolled and zoomed to what I want to see, tapping that button centers the car on the screen; so I have to start over again.

I would LOVE a Customize Interface menu. Or even a Select Older Interface menu.

I always upgrade now. I postponed the 2019 not-so-supercharging update for a couple of years, then had to pay Tesla to catch up the software before they would replace the HV battery under warranty.
I'm not holding my breath, but would be pleasantly surprised if they remove this downgrade feature.

I have noticed that sometimes the screen does not automatically re-center after a manual scroll/zoom.

I haven't figured out when or why for certain but I have a theory to test.
If I have set a location in my phone app calendar, when it pops up on the screen I select the icon and it will scroll/zoom to where I need to go. Two days ago I had a location in my calendar, and even yesterday it allowed me to scroll/zoom without auto re-centering. Later today I'll make sure it's still doing that, then ask for an address and determine if that resets the auto re-centering.

The auto re-center is really annoying. Sometimes I'm in a poor signal area, it re-centers before the map has even drawn!

So far my theory holds. I scrolled/zoomed, no auto-center. Then I selected a recent destination on screen (which was the address from Tuesday). Afterwards, auto-center was re-engaged.
Next I need to set a location using the phone calendar and verify if auto-center goes away again.
I should probably test setting a destination in the Tesla app; but I suspect that would be no different than selecting a destination on-screen.

If I select any location using the car's screen (using voice or text search, recent destination, clicking on a supercharger to get availability, even selecting a location from the calendar app) then using the re-center icon restarts the auto-zoom-center.
To stop the auto-zoom-center, select a location using a calendar app destination (you can then zoom and scroll, just don't use the centering icon) then turn the car off. Turn the car on and auto-zoom-scroll is disabled.

I just hope they don't "fix" this now that I've finally figured it out.

Reactions: philander