Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

30 Day Trial of FSD on a 2017 Model S!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With today's update I got the 30 day trail of FSD on my HW3 upgraded 2017 Model S!

Not gonna lie, it's a huge improvement over my previous experience with beta FSD in the fall of 2023 on my previous Model 3. It's way more assertive and confident. That all being said, it still had several of the issues previous versions had and some new issues that may be related to it being a Model S vs Model 3.

In ~25min drive, both highway and surface streets, I had three disengagements. Once on the highway when the car left the travel lane (without signaling) and almost hit a truck. Then two on surface roads. Once where it clipped the curb and I had to jerk the wheel. Then a second time, when it made right turn way too wide and ended up blocking the other side of the road and sort of panicking; requiring me to take over.

After talking to my buddy who has a HW3 M3P and said he had nearly no disengagements over the last several days, that this could be related to me having a Model S vs his Model 3. The theory is that the vast majority of the training data is from M3/MY and rarer Model S suffers from being a physically larger vehicle.

However, I can see why Tesla wants to show this off. It's very impressive what they can do with just cameras. Honestly, last year, if you told me HW3 would be this good, I would have said no way.

Overall, it still feels years away from prime time. My benchmark for FSD is: "Would I feel comfortable having this car drive my kid to school?". It is still a resounding no from me. But great progress!

Be interesting to hear from the other MS/MX HW3 owners?!