Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial. Very impressed. So better than Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With FSD package, highway driving is using FSD V11 software stack (even with FSD V12). V12 software stack is only for city streets currently and has not expanded to highway driving.
I'm new to Tesla, and find this hard to follow. I have a 2024 MYLR with H4.

1. So, if I use FSD during my three-month trial (which has about 2.5 months to go) when I am on a highway, am I am using V11, and when I'm on local roads, am I using V12?
2. If so, are both versions loaded all the time, or just when FSD is engaged by going to the second detent on the stalk?
3. What criteria are used to determine the version in use? Many of my local roads are 4 or more lanes, but are not part of the interstate system.
4. Is there any indication in the car that one version or the other is in operation?
5. If I use TACC (by going to the first detent on the stalk), am I actually using some V11 fsd code? If so, will TACC operate differently when my trial is over? (TACC is mediocre now; will it get even worse?)
6. What is the best recovery from phantom braking? Does lifting the stalk to the first detent disengage both fsd and tacc? (Brake tapping seems like a bad idea.) Is just pressing on the accelerator the quickest solution?

TIA for any answers you can provide.

It sounds like you don’t have a software version with FSD v12 at all. With FSD v12 there is no more single tap for TACC and double tap for FSD. It’s single tap for FSD or nothing.
The App tells me I have 12.3.3. My right stalk works like my left one: half way down does one thing; all the way down does another. If I pull all the way down I'm in FSD, and the car drives itself. If I pull it down halfway, I get TACC. (or TACC and lane keeping if I don't have lane keeping disabled).

In other words, to engage FSD, I use the same motion used to go from park to drive.

FSD disengages when I override steering or hit the brakes. I have not tried lifting the stalk to disengage fsd. That is what I do to disengage TACC (or I tap the brakes).

Last edited:
That’s not how it works at all. None of the autopilot modes require a full press. It’s either single half press or double half press. FSD v12 has no more TACC unless you have disabled FSD.
Isn't that a setting? In my "EU FSD" car (so navigate on Autopilot is the highest available) model Y I have a setting to activate "FSD" with one or two presses.

The App tells me I have 12.3.3. My right stalk works like my left one: half way down does one thing; all the way down does another. If I pull all the way down I'm in FSD, and the car drives itself. If I pull it down halfway, I get TACC. (or TACC and lane keeping if I don't have lane keeping disabled).

In other words, to engage FSD, I use the same motion used to go from park to drive.

FSD disengages when I override steering or hit the brakes. I have not tried lifting the stalk to disengage fsd. That is what I do to disengage TACC (or I tap the brakes).
You experience doesn't make sense. If you have 12.3.3 then when FSD is enabled you cannot get into TACC or AP without going into the AP menu and selecting one or the other (doing so disables FSD and you can't re-enable FSD until you put the car in PARK).

When FSD 12 is disabled and you have AP enabled you have the option to do a single tap for TACC and a double tap for AP. Once FSD is enabled you can't do that anymore (in V12). Also a half tap and full pull of the stalk are not different commands when it comes to FSD/AF/TACC.

Back to you original question, you can tell if you are running V12 city streets vs V11 highway by looking at the tentacle and/or using the AutoMax setting which will disappear when on a V11 stretch of limited access hwy.

Best recovery from a phantom brake IME is to just hit the accelerator.

Reactions: E90alex
I'm new to Tesla, and find this hard to follow. I have a 2024 MYLR with H4.

1. So, if I use FSD during my three-month trial (which has about 2.5 months to go) when I am on a highway, am I am using V11, and when I'm on local roads, am I using V12?
2. If so, are both versions loaded all the time, or just when FSD is engaged by going to the second detent on the stalk?
3. What criteria are used to determine the version in use? Many of my local roads are 4 or more lanes, but are not part of the interstate system.
4. Is there any indication in the car that one version or the other is in operation?
5. If I use TACC (by going to the first detent on the stalk), am I actually using some V11 fsd code? If so, will TACC operate differently when my trial is over? (TACC is mediocre now; will it get even worse?)
6. What is the best recovery from phantom braking? Does lifting the stalk to the first detent disengage both fsd and tacc? (Brake tapping seems like a bad idea.) Is just pressing on the accelerator the quickest solution?

TIA for any answers you can provide.

1) It's not really FSD at all when on the highway, it's a version of an older product called Navigate on AutoPilot (NoP). It's a simpler product and has worked well for a number of years.
2) Yes, they both exist in the code
3) It's generally divided, limited access, 4+ lane roads. But it can vary a little.
4) When it switches, the visualizations change slightly and if you have the new speed control enabled, the speed will disappear.
5) No longer single or double clicks, just a single one now with FSD enabled or TACC.
6) Just press the accelerator slightly. SLIGHTLY, don't jerk he passengers around again, just a slight press and bring it up to speed, probably wait a few seconds and slowly release pressure.