Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial… I’m convinced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Convinced that it was insane to send it out to everyone in its current state that is. I got my trial just in time for my 2000 mile round-trip to see the eclipse (MD to MO, mostly I-81 and I-40).

1. It’s 99.9% there. And while I would be ecstatic if, say Excel were 99.9% correct, for something that’s driving me down the highway I need at least three more nines.
2. It not only doesn’t handle merging traffic well, it does exactly the wrong thing most times. When the merging car will clearly end up behind me so the right thing to do is to maintain speed, it always (always) slows instead, often braking hard, putting the merging car right next to mine, annoying both the merging car and anyone behind me. Absolutely brain-dead.
3. Still phantom braking. Seemed worse than with regular autopilot, in both FSD and EAP modes.
4. Randomly dropping out of FSD/EAP for no obvious reason. After the 5th “I have no idea why it dropped out" I stopped sending reports.
5. Random aborts of auto-lane-change. Especially fun when someone is tailgating me and thinks I’m brake-checking them.

For the return part of the trip, I used EAP, disengaging it every time I approached an entrance ramp with any cars on it.

The only thing it convinced me of is that if, as I assume, it was Elon who demanded putting out this free trial, he is no longer fit to run the company. I can’t imagine anyone driving with this for 1000 miles and thinking “Yeah, I’ll pay money for that."

Reactions: El joe and 3toY22
I'm not sure where these problems you are having are occurring, but if you think you are using FSD on the highway, then you're not: The highway driving is still being handled by the old V11 stack.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're not experiencing v12.3.3 correctly. Something is wrong with either the install or your car. Increased phantom braking, and randomly erroring out of FSD for no reason is telling us there is a problem.

You failed to mention what car you're driving. If it's a late model, see if service can push the update back down to your car again. Then recalibrate your cameras (after making sure they are clean and dry).

Sounds like you're not experiencing v12.3.3 correctly. Something is wrong with either the install or your car. Increased phantom braking, and randomly erroring out of FSD for no reason is telling us there is a problem.

You failed to mention what car you're driving. If it's a late model, see if service can push the update back down to your car again. Then recalibrate your cameras (after making sure they are clean and dry).
Car is in my sig. Cameras were fine. 2000 miles of driving is plenty of time for them to calibrate. What kind of problem could there be that would affect EAP but not normal AP? And the merge lane thing was not phantom braking; it never happened when there was a merge lane with no cars entering the highway. It was braking because of the car it saw there. This is FSD/EAP not doing what it should.

No, Mr. IRS auditor, Excel made that mistake, not me.
Fair enough. I was thinking in terms of formatting and organization, and how often the unchangeable default is something I can’t imagine anyone would want. But yeah the math’s gotta be right! Maybe I should have used PowerPoint as my example.

My estimate of MTBC* for some products:
Excel: 10 minutes
Word: 5 minutes
Powerpoint: 5-10 seconds
Navigate on Autopilot: 20-30 minutes

*Mean Time Before Cursing