Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Full Self Driving Month Trial April 2024. Pretty Good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel almost the same way. I am truly fascinated with the full FSD which works well for my daily driving.
Let's see how many days the fun wears out. Anyway, I won't have full FSD anymore on May-01 !!!
So, I better try just the basic Autopilot now to see what will be in May-01.
I very much bought the car to drive. But I want the FREE TRIAl to experience it. I do not have the download.

I would say it works well 90% of the time. Here are what not working well:
1) stopping at red light or behind a car in front is not so smooth, it's like it brakes without any confidence
2) before a right turn (more than 1 mile away), the car moves to the right lane too soon.
This right lane could be a car pool lane or a lane with a lot of cars in it and a few more traffic lights before I need to turn right.
3) the route it takes is NOT the optimum one. This is a route I drove a few times a week, have tried a few alternative and stay put with the best one (shortest time), wide roads. I had to cancel FSD until I reached a section that forces the car to go my preferred routes.
So, Tesla is right to recommend drivers to stay alert and take control immediately when necessary.

I went to autopilot menu and there was no summons etc 😭 I have paid fsd
Did you scroll down? Once you open Autopilot menus, that's where FSD is. Then scroll down until you see summons beta. you have to turn it on.

Attachments

• 20240406_115407.jpg
    20240406_115407.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240406_115358.jpg
    20240406_115358.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 5
Got the free trial and drove Greensboro to Hillsboro. I just don’t see the appeal as I feel like other reviewers that it is like a new driver and I get impatient. It was very accurate however. One thing, it would switch lanes to pass but never returned to the original lane. I had to use the blinker to force a lane change. So it does work which is quite remarkable but I still prefer to drive with TACC and lane keep. I’ll continue to use it for a month and maybe I’ll change my mind. But $12000, that’s a hard sell.
I agree

I would say it works well 90% of the time. Here are what not working well:
1) stopping at red light or behind a car in front is not so smooth, it's like it brakes without any confidence
I found that it will not roll through a changing traffic light. My car slams on the brakes with only a few feet to go, before entering an intersection. I wish it wasn't so aggressive (probably a NHTSA contribution)
2) before a right turn (more than 1 mile away), the car moves to the right lane too soon.
This right lane could be a car pool lane or a lane with a lot of cars in it and a few more traffic lights before I need to turn right.
I've found the car is very good at finding a hole in traffic, and squeezing in to it. Even if just before a turn. Perhaps influenced by the profile setting (chill, average. aggressive). I'm set to average.
3) the route it takes is NOT the optimum one. This is a route I drove a few times a week, have tried a few alternative and stay put with the best one (shortest time), wide roads. I had to cancel FSD until I reached a section that forces the car to go my preferred routes.
So, Tesla is right to recommend drivers to stay alert and take control immediately when necessary.
You should be able to select an alternate route on the map while navigating. It continually offers alternate choices, that are updated as you progress through your drive. Try setting your map display to display the route (only available if you are navigating). I have one route that I drive daily which does not offer my ultimate choice, until I have ticked off an intersection or two on the way home.

Bought a used 2021 that had the FSD trial started the day before, was excited to try it out. After the third party dealer transferred the car to me via the Tesla app, it removed the trial.
I guess I don't get to try it out.

I've been using FSD 12.3.3 now for several days, including a 700 mile freeway drive. It's much better IMHO than 11.x.x. It slides a bit sideways when you're passing a truck, moves left to give a biker or jogger room, moves out of the passing lane if someone approaches you from behind, seems to make good decisions about when it is safe to change lanes. It doesn't make great decisions in heavy traffic about lane positioning: it will move into faster lanes even as you're getting within 2 miles of a right exit, which means it could fail to get over in time. That can be fixed by asking it to move right with a turn signal push. I took it driving up Page Mill Road (Palo Alto) and it made it competently more than half way up this narrow, twisty two lane road without intervention, including some severe switchbacks. I finally had to take over when it took a sharp curve too wide. Still and all, I came to trust it to cut curves at high speeds correctly, even on mountain pass freeway at 70mph. Great improvement IMHO. My Y LR mfg in Feb 2023 probably has HW3.

Yes I got Autopark along with FSD 30 day trial. Just put it into reverse and get near a parking spot and stop. The screen should bring up a special menu for autopark. Select go or activate or whatever. It works quite well.
Yes it worked. I just happen to see the autopark message on the instrument screen and dial the wheel to choose. I wish I could choose the parking spot.

I think it works best with HW4. Most complaints are from HW3 or earlier owners.

Mine (HW4) works perfectly except when a lane is ending (waits till the lane almost ends) and when it arrives at the navigated destination (it doesn’t seem to know what to do next).

Newport Oregon to Bend Oregon

Received my FSD update this weekend and was able to test it out on my drive from Newport to Bend. This drive follows US-20 thru the Cascade Mountains which is 2-lanes and has a lot of hairpin, 30-mph turns so I felt would be a great test. I last used FSD several years ago on my 2019 Model S and I learned to trust it on freeways but 2-lane highways made me nervous and curvy roads were terrifying because FSD preferred crossing the center line rather than slowing down to negotiate a tight curve.

FSD’s performance was much improved on this test. Being cautious, I set my max speed to the speed limit, 55 mph, rather than my standard +5, so I had to use the turnouts every so often to let the 65 mph traffic pass. In general, FSD slowed to approximately 5 mph faster than the yellow caution signs recommended which made the curves very comfortable but not unreasonably slow and it accelerated briskly back up to 55 after exiting the curve. US-20 thru the highest part of the Cascades still had a lot of snow along the roadside and the white stripe along the side was often covered with snow or gravel. But even with this, FSD simply hugged the center strip until the white stripe reappeared and it then moved to the center of the lane.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with the improvements.
I took my 2022 MXLR with FSD Trial from Camas - Salem - Bend - The Dalles - Camas. Amazing experience using FSD through all the different landscapes on this trip. It wasn't perfect, but I had a great experience with it. I concluded I probably wouldn't buy it for $12K, but that it still might be worth it to get EAP at some point if I wanted to splurge.

Reactions: rhumbliner