Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Trial FSD, What DoYou Think About It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much except almost everyone has the same observation that something seems 'tweaked.' No-one has taken a solely V11 car and a V12 on the same drive to see if it makes differences. The observation has been that the hand-off between the two, which occurs on the on/off ramps, can be a bit rough at time. You can tell the handoff because of the change in the display graphics.
So am I understanding that the free trial is V11 on controlled access roadways and V12 on surface streets? I assumed it was just V12 completely - not one for one situation and another for the other.

Reactions: Skavatar
So am I understanding that the free trial is V11 on controlled access roadways and V12 on surface streets? I assumed it was just V12 completely - not one for one situation and another for the other.
That correct. In reading hundreds of post (I just got V12 a few hours ago but due to traffic can't test it out for a while) the reviews of highway "v12" are pretty solid including none of the speed problems noticed on uncontrolled access roads. Which is ironic because people noted the visualization for controlled access is the same as for the V11, leading to the strong assumption it is V11.

Because of the speed issues in V12, people are now thinking they don't want to lose the control over speed that V11 offers on highways. It is bad enough that V12 decides to go 20 mph too fast or too slow in a 55 mph zone but on a freeway that could be even worse (especially the fast/slow/fast/slow surging some people had). V12 handles speed pretty smoothly when following other vehicles, but on its own it seems to have trouble maintaining a safe speed, with V12.3.3 being better than previous V12 updates but not acceptable, just less problematic.

I just did a 1.75 mile test drive in my tiny neighbourhood and let it pick its own speed all the time. It ranged between 9kph and 40kph. It never sped but I had to disengage in front of the school because it missed the 40kph school zone speed limit sign (which is hidden in a tree, so FSD was fully excused) and had not seen another speed limit sign since leaving the 30kph street so was still going 10kph below the speed limit in front of the school and I had traffic building up behind me. I reengaged when it was in view of the 50kph sign after the school and it was fine from that point on.

I know the majority of people might reject FSD on basis of those speeds alone but it was reading how 'super slow' it can be that convinced me to try it in my area. I'm on the neighbourhood traffic committee and standing with the city traffic engineer on the sidewalk watching cars go by he thought they were speeding. They weren't. It is just the posted speed actually feels too fast on our streets given the nature of the neighbourhood but two of the roads are classified as "minor collectors" with bus routes on them so can't be set below 50 kph except for the school zone. FSDS, when it could see the signs, handled the three speed limits in 7/8th of a mile just fine and handled the pot hole riddled narrow street with cars parked on either side fairly well too (that was the period of 9kph as it couldn't tell if the dark spots were holes or patches.)

Reactions: Skavatar
I paid attention to the screen today and did see the auto speed limit on Highway 17 and Highway 1. My previous thoughts on the software are unchanged, if the "auto" speed limit can be used to determine which code is active.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 17.44.23.png

I activated FSD on Tuesday last and set navigation to the Auto Museum in downtown Reno, where I volunteer three days a week. A 15 mile, 25 min trip including several miles of freeway. The experience was utterly amazing, but as others have observed, there were as expected, a few issues. On a 40mph, 4 lane with a grass divider, I was in the right lane approaching a stopped fire truck that had all its lights flashing. The truck was off the driving lanes and I would have slowed and moved to the left lane. There were no cars to my left but my M3 continued at the speed limit and didn’t change lanes. I believe NV requires a lane change.

I’ll skip over all the other routine miles driven, since again, the system is by and large super impressive and operates intuitively.

Another difficult issue yesterday, requiring disengagement and a feedback report. I wanted to turn left from a two lane city street onto a very busy four lane with a center turning lane. I travel there often and find it challenging to make the turn myself. The M3 crept out over the crosswalk and while I saw several opportunities to make a move into the center turning lane, even with traffic approaching from the right, the car, perhaps wisely, waited…and waited, and waited for a clear path in both directions to make the turn. After about 90 seconds, I disengaged and made a report. As I noted, this was a very difficult situation.

Yesterday, we made a 40 mile trip to see friends down the interstate and FSD functioned impressively. It’s obviously fussy about speed limits, but I found I could use the scroll wheel to bump up 5 mph, as I often do with autopilot. Regarding speed, in heavy traffic on the interstate, the car did speed up some and alerted me that it was “increasing speed for traffic flow”. That was before I discovered I could still use the scroll wheel. Also on the interstate, it changed lanes to overtake other vehicles, and stayed in the passing lane till faster traffic approached from behind then moved back to the right. Cool.

On the way home, in the dark, it began snowing heavily and a notice appeared notifying me “system performance may be degraded” or words to that effect, but even with the “light speed” view of snow through the windshield, FSD did everything right, overtaking, changing lanes and slowing to the limit in a construction zone. Nearly back home, and snow conditions got really heavy for the last mile and I upped my supervision
to 11. The road became snow covered, and wanting to see what the system would do, and being in a residential area with no traffic, I pressed on, and so did FSD! No lane markings and the car slowed and piloted as well as I would. Finally, I disengaged when it became disoriented when having to move left to turn left while approaching a stop on a two lane. The car slowed dramatically and I disengaged and reported. Another very difficult edge case and perhaps I should have waited to see what would have transpired.

I would mention the several other intelligent moves the system made this week, but I’ve gone on too long already.

In summary, I was very positively impressed with FSD, as was my observer wife during the snow experience, but bottom line, I believe the future potential lies with robotaxies and for folks who find FSD adds value. It’s not something I’m willing to pay for.

Looking forward to maximizing my use for of FSD the rest of the freebie (thanks Elon!) and helping to improve the system with feedback.

It seems the road environment is swaying people to one extreme or the other.

Here is Jeremiah in Kentucky with 12.3.3 in wide open areas and it is not doing very well..and looking at how it is reacting I can't fault him for being disappointed. It is crawling at times and not doing what he wants.

Meanwhile I am in the Boston area (using default settings) with its horribly tight poorly designed streets..you'd think I'd be the one screaming it sucks...but in reality it is AWESOME and does a phenomenal job driving around. I couldn't be happier.

I think the way the car drives obviously is affected by training footage from impatient city drivers vs mellow midwestern drivers. This car stomps on the pedal when the light turns green. It zips down dense city/suburban streets. It is only nice to pedestrians heading towards the crosswalks if it is in a good mood. It's even tailgating...which causes me to laugh. Training footage mostly from taxi drivers i think!! haha!!

I have my hands off the wheel with my head leaning on my bent arm watching it do its thing. Of course there are times when I disengage it because it picks a path I wouldn't go but I just engage it after I make my turn and the directions are rerouted.

I totally expected the NorthEast to be screwed since we are far different from the San Francisco area in terms of street designs. Square grid streets..what's that? We are lucky if a street is straight for more than 100 feet. Our main streets are where horsemen created deep ruts navigating around trees, boulders, and streams Paul Revere style.

Last edited:
Utter crap. Works “sorta” OK on well marked freeways. On more rural, windy roads, be highly alert, ready to take over, which is exhausting.

How about fixing things like phantom braking first? How about copying what Mercedes does(which is level 3 and FAR BETTER).

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
I've been using it extensively for the past few days and sometimes it scares the hell out of me. It takes too long to slow down when approaching red lights or congested traffic. Sometimes it seems to accelerate before slowing. Same thing when approaching a curve or exiting a highway. The software doesn't seem "know" about the mechanics/physics of SMOOTH driving. I suppose I'll get used to it but FSD's driving style is equivalent to a teenager's that just received his/her license. 😁 Still on the highway and in stop and go traffic, it works well enough. The jury is still out.

Reactions: Bosfutureowner
One problem I have with FSD is that on local roads (not highways), it puts the turn signal on far too soon. Like it will drive straight through an intersection with my turn signal on because it's turning 1 block past the intersection.

Another example: other drivers think I'm turning into some store's driveway or parking lot because I'm slowing down with a right turn signal on, when I'm actually turning at an intersection hundreds of feet ahead. I've had people start to go around me because of that.

Reactions: E90alex