Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Trial FSD, What DoYou Think About It?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the update last night. I was surprised to see the trial FSD offer when I started the car today. I must say that the FSD visualization is a definite improvement in and of itself. I believe it adds to safety as I can see more vehicles around me. I actually moved the blind spot camera image to the right side of the screen because it blocked the visualization; never even thought of doing that before.

I finally tried FSD on the last two miles of my trip home. I had pulled over to the side of the road to activate it. There was no visibile traffic approaching from either direction. The car quickly accelerated to the 30mph speed limit which caught me off guard; much faster than I accelerate from a parked position. The car stopped for stop signs, signaled for turns and responded to traffic signals as it should.

I'm not ready to drive the car in more challenging conditions; perhaps in time. FSD is a little too aggressive compared to my driving style. Perhaps Tesla could add a feature that would allow FSD to learn to an individual's driving habits and to adjust accordingly.

When the trial ends in a month, the FSD visualization will revert back to standard ÀP visualization which is too bad; I believe it makes driving the car even safer than it already is.

Would I buy it? Well, not at the current price but so far, I have only five minutes driving experience with it, so we'll see. It is very amazing technology.
I subscribe monthly to FSD and it is mostly for the much improved visualizations. I too agree that it helps make driving even safer. I wish when you stopped FSD you could keep those or Tesla would make those standard. They are so much better.

Reactions: agmonaco and Stach
Its really cool and fun to use but i'm over using it already.
I like driving and I tend to drive on the faster end of the spectrum, so I have no patience when it hesitates during turns or through intersections.

Using the trial has made me realize that all I want is auto lane change with autopilot.
But I dont need all the other stuff in EAP, and i'm not willing to pay the current price of EAP either.

Reactions: Placeman and Stach
In regards to enhanced visualizations, I am wondering what parts of this will persist after the 30-day trial ends. I got TWO software updates in the last several days, one day apart. The first had the enhanced greyscale wide view (even behind if you rotated the screen car 180 degrees) that included parked cars in driveways, better cross street views, and other awareness (but no more garbage cans?). That was very interesting in itself. That update was not the official FSD trial, but bug fixes and etc.

Then the next night the FSD package was delivered, keeping the enhanced greyscale views when FSD is not engaged. I should say that I haven't had it drive itself in FSD yet, but I do know that the color visualization if very advanced when it is engaged. But I'm not asking about the FSD view when it is active.

So do we think that the wider view greyscale visualization will stay up once the free trial is over?
love the colors, love the brake lights on other cars highlighted, wish they just add this view to every car for free

Saw the notification when I got in my car today. It drives well on the highway, but I've yet to test it in stop and go traffic. I'll admit that having lane change on signal is nice. It's terrifying on surface streets. Autopark misjudged the distance between a parked car and a concrete column and I had to intervene. One drive was enough for me, I turned it off as soon as I got home. I have zero regrets not buying this.

I was not aware that Auto Park was included. How is that activated?
Just drive slowly through a parking lot and you will see it start boxing spaces. Pick the one you want and then it will ask you to pick Start and then it will park. Only does perpendicular and parallel parking. No angled parking and it ONLY BACKS in so you drive just a bit past the spot you pick to start. It has worked perfectly for me every time - centered and parallel to the space. Probably done it 6 times or so.

Reactions: Stach and dusty22
I was impressed with it. I have been testing it for two days and it has been a couple of situations where it gets confused I have been able to use to get me anywhere. I live in NoVA, currently is raining a lot and although it complains about visibility it continues to function.

I like it on the interstate and in stop and go traffic. I have qualms about it during normal around town driving. Very aggressive right after traffic light changes and I am a bit leery of way it handles tight curves (probably just need to drive it more). I would rent it for $99.00 a month whenever taking trips. $199.99 is just too much for me since I don't drive lots of miles

Reactions: TehPuddingMan
Did they update the autowipers? I dunno if it's a placebo, but the wipers turned on with a slight drizzle and ramped up as the rain got worse. They also shut off after the rain stopped.

The car seems to handle speed differentials much better, i.e. coming up on stopped cars on the highway. That being said, the to/from a standstill g forces are still far too aggressive IMO. I tried autopark without an obstacle, outside and it performed much better. Still too slow to be more than a gimmick. I wonder how many cars are going to back into other cars at superchargers 😂

Did they update the autowipers? I dunno if it's a placebo, but the wipers turned on with a slight drizzle and ramped up as the rain got worse. They also shut off after the rain stopped.

The car seems to handle speed differentials much better, i.e. coming up on stopped cars on the highway. That being said, the to/from a standstill g forces are still far too aggressive IMO. I tried autopark without an obstacle, outside and it performed much better. Still too slow to be more than a gimmick. I wonder how many cars are going to back into other cars at superchargers 😂
Amen to the "far too aggressive from a standstill". It's ridiculous to have "G" forces like that on the acceleration only to then have near max REGEN braking when hitting the speed limit.

I saw on a youtube video to set the drive mode to Chill on your controls in addition to Chill mode in FSD to limit that. It doesn't have ANY effect!! It's still a near "launch" followed by near full REGEN braking to stay at the speed limit.

Also, the stopping while approaching a stop light with vehicles stopped is WAY TOO abrupt for me. If the surface was slippery you could end up rear ending the car ahead. Why can't it anticipate that better? The cars show up on the display yet it flies up behind them before braking.

The other issue I see in posts so I know I'm not crazy is that it now really favors the right hand of the lane and often to an uncomfortable degree. Going past someone who is in the right hand lane who might favor the left line a bit can be scary. Not sure why is does that, as V11 seemed to be dead center in lane. That was more comfortable for me.

If they will fix the acceleration/deceleration issues mentioned and the crazy speed around some corners I might be interested. As it is, no thanks!

Haven't tried it on the interstate yet. It might be fine there. We shall see.

compared to the previous version, its better.

still some hesitation going through a stop sign. coming to a stop at a stop sign, it stops too far from the intersection depending on where the stop sign is positioned, and creeps up a little, stops, creeps up a little, stops. most times i have to step on the accelerator and make it go.

seems good at red lights, but the acceleration is a bit too fast then it suddenly stops accelerating once it gets to the speed limit, not smooth enough.

too much lane changes, keeps wanting to go into the right lane, even though we have a left turn coming up about 100 yds away.

It should be. That is still the V11 software.

(And I had forgotten that V11 moved the car to the centre of the lane from the left hand side in V10 and AP. That might be why I prefer FSD on the freeway over AP even though all I'm using it for is speed and autosteer.)

oh, if highway is V11 then my highway observations were a placebo. I would never use V12 on surface streets

Amen to the "far too aggressive from a standstill". It's ridiculous to have "G" forces like that on the acceleration only to then have near max REGEN braking when hitting the speed limit.

I saw on a youtube video to set the drive mode to Chill on your controls in addition to Chill mode in FSD to limit that. It doesn't have ANY effect!! It's still a near "launch" followed by near full REGEN braking to stay at the speed limit.

Also, the stopping while approaching a stop light with vehicles stopped is WAY TOO abrupt for me. If the surface was slippery you could end up rear ending the car ahead. Why can't it anticipate that better? The cars show up on the display yet it flies up behind them before braking.

The other issue I see in posts so I know I'm not crazy is that it now really favors the right hand of the lane and often to an uncomfortable degree. Going past someone who is in the right hand lane who might favor the left line a bit can be scary. Not sure why is does that, as V11 seemed to be dead center in lane. That was more comfortable for me.

If they will fix the acceleration/deceleration issues mentioned and the crazy speed around some corners I might be interested. As it is, no thanks!

Haven't tried it on the interstate yet. It might be fine there. We shall see.

I also notice at night it tends to tailgate on suburban streets. I have had to break check FSD to put some distance between me and the car ahead.

They need a min car length setting. Like 1 car length at night in the rain ain't cutting it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. D Flier
oh, if highway is V11 then my highway observations were a placebo. I would never use V12 on surface streets
Pretty much except almost everyone has the same observation that something seems 'tweaked.' No-one has taken a solely V11 car and a V12 on the same drive to see if it makes differences. The observation has been that the hand-off between the two, which occurs on the on/off ramps, can be a bit rough at time. You can tell the handoff because of the change in the display graphics.

Pretty much except almost everyone has the same observation that something seems 'tweaked.' No-one has taken a solely V11 car and a V12 on the same drive to see if it makes differences. The observation has been that the hand-off between the two, which occurs on the on/off ramps, can be a bit rough at time. You can tell the handoff because of the change in the display graphics.
I'm going to reenable FSD and give this a try. I don't recall the two viz looking different, is there a defining characteristic of the new version?