Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This Latest Attempt to Force FSD Upon Everyone is Hurting the FSD Cause More Than Helping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As many people have written, Tesla provided a 30 day trial of their full self driving. I performed a simple software update on my 2023 MY, and instead of Tesla asking me if I wanted to install it, or even activate it, it was forced on my car. I started driving, activated cruise control, and instead of a normal activation, it attempted full self driving. There should be a simple, fundamental principle for OTA updates: DON'T screw with my car!

It seems like as a company, Tesla believes that everyone of its customer is yearning for this special service, and it will graciously provide me a limited look. No. Go away.

I absolutly don't want it anywhere near my vehicle. The current adaptive cruise control is horrible, brakes sharply all the time with no actual obstacles, and frankly has almost caused multiple accidents ( from people behind me). My 2014 vehicle was so much better than my 2023.

Why is there not a simply requirement for a manufacturer to ask permission before installing and activating a significant, non-safely related revision? After this fiasco, I would welcome a Federal govt requirement.

As many people have written, Tesla provided a 30 day trial of their full self driving. I performed a simple software update on my 2023 MY, and instead of Tesla asking me if I wanted to install it, or even activate it, it was forced on my car. I started driving, activated cruise control, and instead of a normal activation, it attempted full self driving. There should be a simple, fundamental principle for OTA updates: DON'T screw with my car!

It seems like as a company, Tesla believes that everyone of its customer is yearning for this special service, and it will graciously provide me a limited look. No. Go away.

I absolutly don't want it anywhere near my vehicle. The current adaptive cruise control is horrible, brakes sharply all the time with no actual obstacles, and frankly has almost caused multiple accidents ( from people behind me). My 2014 vehicle was so much better than my 2023.

Why is there not a simply requirement for a manufacturer to ask permission before installing and activating a significant, non-safely related revision? After this fiasco, I would welcome a Federal govt requirement.

You know that you can go to the autopilot settings on your car and disable FSD, right? I took longer to type this post that it does to revert back to AP

You know that you can go to the autopilot settings on your car and disable FSD, right? I took longer to type this post that it does to revert back to AP
Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be turned on automatically. You'd be surprised how many people aren't familiar with how to go in to change the settings appropriately. When you're dealing with motor vehicles, that can kill, it's important that people are familiar with what they expect their car to do from muscle memory.

Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be turned on automatically. You'd be surprised how many people aren't familiar with how to go in to change the settings appropriately. When you're dealing with motor vehicles, that can kill, it's important that people are familiar with what they expect their car to do from muscle memory.
Don’t you have to approve using it first? Mine sure didn’t ’turn on automatically…

Yes, I am sure that I probably could, but frankly, I shouldn't need to. That's it, my car should not be changed without asking me. This is a first pricipal. Also, I want to get in my car, drive it, and not have to stop and reprogram the settings.

Also, in this particular case, I have the interior camera covered by my garage door opener, so when I tried to engage my cruise control, there were all sorts of warnings and the vehicle did not respond as it should (engaged braking instead of acceleration.)

Tesla as a car company is making too many mistakes and continues to make the wrong choices.

It did ask you. After install there would have been a pop up listing the terms of FSD and you had to agree. You probably just hit agree without reading it.
Nope. I did hit the button for software upgrade. The next day, I got in and saw a screen stating I have a free trial, no need to acknowledge or dismiss that notice. I then put the car in reverse and left the driveway. Only when I pulled down on the stalk for cruise did it attempt to enter FSD and then I had errors.

The reality is while you own the car you do NOT own the software, you have a license to “use” so they don’t need your approval:

Nope, it was enabled, and when I was driving and pulled down to activate Cruise control, the car did not activate and I had all sort of errors saying that FSD was enabled but the interior camera was covered.

Nope. I did hit the button for software upgrade. The next day, I got in and saw a screen stating I have a free trial, no need to acknowledge or dismiss that notice. I then put the car in reverse and left the driveway. Only when I pulled down on the stalk for cruise did it attempt to enter FSD and then I had errors.
No, no, and no

If not you, then someone who drove your car had to acknowledge it and agree to the T&Cs. It happened whether one wants to acknowledge it not.

Reactions: ewoodrick
Yeah, we may not keep FSD after our trial expires. Mom is nervous about how it drives and I'm too much of a coward to use it anywhere except from our road to town. (Plus, it forgot that there was a 65 speed limit sign going from town to our road.) I do like the concept though. It was hugging the yellow line a bit too much for my taste, but it was fun to use. Keep making improvements!

No, no, and no

If not you, then someone who drove your car had to acknowledge it and agree to the T&Cs. It happened whether one wants to acknowledge it not.
Right back at you: no, No, No!!! I am the only driver.

Two points: 1) After the update, I got in, and started driving, that's it. I did not agree to anything. When I tried to engage normal Cruise, it tried to use FSD, and many errors came up about the interior camera. This was not good.

2) When I did enter the menu system to turn it off, as soon as I selected the option for FSD setting-- THEN it asked me to agree to Ts and Cs. Instead, I just turned the "offer" down.

Right back at you: no, No, No!!! I am the only driver.

Two points: 1) After the update, I got in, and started driving, that's it. I did not agree to anything. When I tried to engage normal Cruise, it tried to use FSD, and many errors came up about the interior camera. This was not good.

2) When I did enter the menu system to turn it off, as soon as I selected the option for FSD setting-- THEN it asked me to agree to Ts and Cs. Instead, I just turned the "offer" down.
Well, congratulations. You have the only vehicle where this has happened. You should sue Tesla.