Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a '23 MYLR which I've had since Feb, no FSD. My wife just bought a '23 M3P that came with FSD for 3 months which just ended. I've run FSD in a combination of highway, suburban, and rural environments. Two things are very clear to me after three months. First, it's performance ranges between excessively timid to suicidal. Second after all the work Tesla engineers have put into this code base, it still doesn't follow some of the most basic rules of the road.

Overall, the level of vigilance and attention required to safely operate in with FSD engaged is significantly in excess of simply driving normally. It's like teaching a first time driver who knows the basic rules (mostly) but is so obviously inexperienced and inconsistent as to require your sub-second intervention. The system is in no way "driver assistance". Rather, it is Tesla product development assistance for those willing to accept the liability and expense of participating. I'm only talking about FSD here. Autopilot, on the other hand, I find to be very useful on the highway.

Summary of FSD behaviors ranging from dangerous to annoying:
1) By far the absolute worst / scariest FSD behavior I experienced was on a 4-lane highway with many at-grade intersections. On multiple occasions while cruising at 65mph in the right lane, the car abruptly attempted to cut right into very short turn lanes. One incident left me with less than a second to recover to avoid the abrupt end of that turn lane and the high-speed swerve required active recovery. (this one is repeatable. FSD will do this every time I pass this intersection). It does this even though the lane is clearly painted with a right turn arrow.
2) Occasional confusion cruising through large, at-grade intersections where FSD seemed to lose track of the lane resulting in abrupt jerk of the wheel left or right.
3) Inexplicable desire of the system to cruise in the passing lane on 4+ lane roads. This one is most annoying because at this point FSD should be best at highway driving. How is it possible that Tesla hasn't figured out that FSD should keep the car in the right lane except as needed to pass slower traffic? Even when I command the car to the right lane with the turn signal, a minute or two later it will try to change to the left lane when I can see faster traffic approaching from behind.
4) (Also an issue with regular AP) The on-ramp acceleration / merge lane swerve. Every time I approach the merge lane the car swerves to 'center' the merged lanes. The car should stick a fixed max distance from the dashed line when on the highway. My Ford with lane keeping and Blue Cruise doesn't do this.
5) FSD fails to initiate the turn signal BEFORE abruptly decelerating for an upcoming turn. FSD signals very late, last 50-100' before the turn regardless of speed. This means the car will abruptly decelerate without a turn signal which could cause a rear-end collision.
6) FSD too tentative at intersections to be used with other traffic present. I get this from a safety perspective, but other drivers don't appreciate a car that stops 10' before a stop sign, then creeps forward before taking off, or jamming on the brakes if cross traffic is detected during the 'creep' phase.

I love both cars for all the regular car stuff they do better than most other cars. However, it's very clear to me that these cars are very far from being truly FSD capable and more than likely lack the sensors necessary to become so. I'm curious if my experience is typical or an outlier.

Your experience is typical. There are many discussion threads about this.
Interesting. I didn't do an exhaustive search, but most of the threads I've read on FSD performance see a lot of traffic downplaying the faults / shortcomings as sensational exaggerations. I really expected better, especially since my first experience is so many years after Elon claiming that true FSD was 'almost there'.

Without ever having using it I was inclined to believe that the negative press was Tesla haters or Luddites. After using it, I have real concerns that there are bunch of inexperienced or inattentive drivers out there putting a lot more trust in the system than they should. At the very least, they need to put this half baked tech back behind an approval process.

I'm Tesla-fan. I have two vehicles with FSD. OP is correct in describing his experience and assessment.
It used to be like driving with my kids when they got their learner's permit for driving at 15.5 years old, now it's like driving with a 16 year old... the sad thing is that I can vouch that humans learn faster, as it seems like FSD has plateaued.
On the highways / freeways, stay out of the right or left-most lanes... it's pretty impressive in the middle lanes

I'm Tesla-fan. I have two vehicles with FSD. OP is correct in describing his experience and assessment.
It used to be like driving with my kids when they got their learner's permit for driving at 15.5 years old, now it's like driving with a 16 year old... the sad thing is that I can vouch that humans learn faster, as it seems like FSD has plateaued.
On the highways / freeways, stay out of the right or left-most lanes... it's pretty impressive in the middle lanes
In that case it's just regular AP, which works great. I use AP on the highway all the time an only have to put up with the 'merge swerve'. It would be nice to get lane change on blinker but not for what they charge for enhanced AP. The Ford system lets you overpower auto-steering without the system disengaging. This allows me to force a lane change without having to disconnect and re-enable. The Ford system just picks up the new lane when you stop manual steering inputs.

I use FSD mainly on the Highways. FSD is significantly better than AP on my experiences through the years. There are several Highway conditions, I will take the California 152 as an example.

1) Straight level 2 lanes each way. FSD and AP about the same. FSD will move over slightly when passing big trucks. FSD on merge lanes slightly better than AP on Centering swerves.
2) Hilly 2 lanes each way. AP will not slow down on curves with suggested speeds and sometimes pass the center lane. Down hill curves AP at speed feels not that safe on narrower lanes.
3) Rural 1 lane each way undivided. FSD adjust speed during sharp curves and stay in lane. AP one speed and sometimes pass the center lanes.

I seldom use AP on (2) and (3) until they merged the code in the current FSD and drive manually. That makes it more tiring especially towards the end of a long drive from LA to San Francisco.

On congested stop and go traffic like 405 through Santa Monica and airport, FSD doing much better on the flow. On the I-5 through the mid section from LA to SF. FSD seems to be able to merge into fast passing traffic better and able to speed up to the speed of the fast lane. The old NOA (EAP?) code cannot do that safely in my opinion.

Accurate from what I’ve seen. My free trial ends soon and there’s no way I’ll pay money for it.

For FSD, I found minimal lane changes my preferred setting to give me control and found it good in stop and go traffic (on chill) or on highways in this mode.

Enhanced autopilot also not worth it… and even just basic autopilot is worse than any vehicle I’ve owned because it constantly misjudges threats and slows the vehicle down vs staying at the speed I set. Wish they’d give us the ability to turn off the ‘smarts’ but maybe v12 will improve this enough to be ok.

with the light holiday traffic I tried to get door to restaurant about 8 miles away. This trip went pretty well, including the windy 2 lane road the route planner picked which isn’t my normal route. All was good until on the way home on a 4 lane road with shared center turn lane. I was initially impressed that it signaled properly and moved into the turn lane to decelerate. However, when it came time to make the left with on coming traffic in the distance, it started to make the turn, which it could safely complete, but then chickened out and stopped in the oncoming traffic lane about 1/3 into the turn, forcing me to gas it to clear traffic. Another unsafe, crash potential failure.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
with the light holiday traffic I tried to get door to restaurant about 8 miles away. This trip went pretty well, including the windy 2 lane road the route planner picked which isn’t my normal route. All was good until on the way home on a 4 lane road with shared center turn lane. I was initially impressed that it signaled properly and moved into the turn lane to decelerate. However, when it came time to make the left with on coming traffic in the distance, it started to make the turn, which it could safely complete, but then chickened out and stopped in the oncoming traffic lane about 1/3 into the turn, forcing me to gas it to clear traffic. Another unsafe, crash potential failure.
Yup, it works pretty well....until it doesn't and it tries to kill you. I have described it to people as being amazingly good and scarily bad at the same time.

On the one hand, it’s absolutely amazing that I can do what I can do. On the other hand, if you compare it to an actual driver, it’s absolutely atrocious.

Every now and then, I try it out again, just because I paid for it back when I bought the car in 2019, when it wasn’t that much money, and I really thought that it was going to amount to something.

The last time I did this, a couple of weeks ago, it did fine, until it slowly crept up to a red light, and then proceeded to attempt to drive right through it. This was at a very busy intersection one suburb south of Boston. It absolutely could’ve killed me. Of course I immediately hit the brakes. But yes, FSD beta is in many respects, a complete joke. But it’s also kind of amazing.

It’s just depends on your perspective!

For humans, we learn one part of driving, then another, and another, etc. It's steady improvement until one day we're pretty good.

For FSD... that's not what's happening. Instead you're getting a new version each time. One aspect might improve, but another gets worse. I don't think it's so simple to isolate a given aspect of driving and then train the vehicle on just that aspect without effecting it's other behaviors as well.

Please someone chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. I know there are countless threads about this already and admittedly I haven't spent much time reading them.

I suspect Tesla keeps dangling carrots for the FSD audience, but is hoping to hit a major breakthrough with AI / AGI where one day it'll just work fantastically... sort of how generative image AI took many years of research and trying various techniques and then one day... BAM... it's super impressive.

Even if that happens though, cameras still feel like the wrong sensor to bet on for me. As it stands they are blocked / blinded far too often to be safely relied upon. Sure, you can go months without an issue... but a bit of rain / snow or condensation in the housing and your car is "blind". It just needs to be more reliable than that.

Reactions: pilotSteve
During the holiday I had a chance to drive through a small single lane roundabout. It worked very well when there is no traffic, until once it tried to enter it when the other car is right in front of me, I had to brake to prevent T-bone the other car at 40 mph. FSD in the city works well when there is back to back traffic, when there is no traffic then any mistakes can be overlooked, anything in between sometimes works, but sometimes can kill you. The late slow down or brake at the last moment before turns is just not my taste and not comfortable. It thinks it can replace human by vision only, at best it can achieve L2 assisted driving with tight supervision, sometimes I think I am more tired to use it in the city then driving by myself.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and sharing. I think it's fair to come to the conclusion that cameras only are not sufficient hardware to enable safe(er) FSD. Most of the bad behaviors I encounter fall into a just a few categories.
1) Mr. No Depth Perception (remember that SNL skit?). The system seems to have a hard time measuring depth and closure rates for anything outside of the forward-looking stereo vision.
2) Programming deficiencies - No excuse for FSD not prioritizing the right lane when available. The roundabout use case is very interesting because to operate safely the car must reliably make a split second decision to anticipate a merge or stop decision so it's not hitting cars in the circle or inviting a rear end hit by stopping when it should be merging.
3) Errors interpreting camera data leading to environment / decision making uncertainty (phantom braking, sudden jerk of the wheel left or right for no apparent reason)

2 and 3 can improve with better SW, but #1 can't, so I conclude that safe FSD isn't possible with the current fleet of cars.

Reactions: KJD and Skavatar
I agree that FSD is like teaching my kids to drive. The one pro is that it is easy to disable while driving. Other than that it is quite dangerous at times. Sadly my biggest regret with the car is that I spent 15,000 dollars on FSD .There are some intersections it comes to a stop that was not necessary. I also don't think it reads the map well at all. I had set it for a store and it showed the correct way to get there. I activated FSD and in the middle of the drive it started to pull into a gated community and then changed its mind and veered out. I have tried this route over and over and recorded why I disengaged. Nothing has changed.

I agree that FSD is like teaching my kids to drive. The one pro is that it is easy to disable while driving. Other than that it is quite dangerous at times. Sadly my biggest regret with the car is that I spent 15,000 dollars on FSD .There are some intersections it comes to a stop that was not necessary. I also don't think it reads the map well at all. I had set it for a store and it showed the correct way to get there. I activated FSD and in the middle of the drive it started to pull into a gated community and then changed its mind and veered out. I have tried this route over and over and recorded why I disengaged. Nothing has changed.
Sounds like GPS is inaccurate.

I usually do not run FSD beta when I am in town (Los Angeles). But I usually enable Navigation. On quite a few occasions I have noticed the GPS locations are off by a few blocks suddenly (red arrow on map moved) for a period of time. I wondered if the Tesla GPS hardware/software have some problem of location data accuracy.

I usually do not run FSD beta when I am in town (Los Angeles). But I usually enable Navigation. On quite a few occasions I have noticed the GPS locations are off by a few blocks suddenly (red arrow on map moved) for a period of time. I wondered if the Tesla GPS hardware/software have some problem of location data accuracy.
Is this a new issue for you? If it's something that's been happening for awhile, I'd have service check it out and possibly replace your cabin camera. I've personally never had GPS issues, always pinpoint accurate.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Is this a new issue for you? If it's something that's been happening for awhile, I'd have service check it out and possibly replace your cabin camera. I've personally never had GPS issues, always pinpoint accurate.
How's cabin camera affect GPS? FSD not running. I am just using Navigation as a GPS device.

This only happened to me a few times. Most of the times are quite accurate.