Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3.3 first drive - safe, super boring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I played with it yesterday and today and that was my experience. It did many things really, really well. But a few things it did poorly (taking a sharp ramp way too fast and getting us pretty close to a concrete wall) and it was more stressful to monitor it than it was just to drive myself.
Despite my improved experience on second review, this is still true for me also.

Been using FSD for a few days and getting more comfortable with it and trusting it more to do the right thing. One thing that clearly seems better to me is the performance in stop and go traffic on the highway. With regular autopilot, it seemed a bit erratic - accelerating too hard, not braking at the right time and having to brake too hard, leaving too large a gap, etc. With FSD, it seems really smooth with none of those issues. Does anyone know if Enhanced Auto Pilot gets these FSD benefits on the highway? I know you get the ability to change lanes with EAP, but I wonder if there are any other benefits with EAP over AP on the highway?

I eagerly downloaded 12.3.3 today. ... Now Elon. You know I love you... I've forgotten about that whole thing in college. IT'S BEHIND ME OKAY!?

... but yeah. I live in a mid-sized city with well-marked infrastructure. The first 3 decisions FSD had to make resulted in disengagements.

1. System was engaged in my driveway. The very first thing the car did upon engagement is try to drive over my lawn/curb to get to the street. I took control.
  2. Once onto the street, I re-engaged. About 100ft down the road, I came to a 4 way intersection with 2 lanes. My car straddled the middle lane confusing the car behind me.
  3. The very next intersection, I needed to make a right on red turn onto a busy 60mph street. The car inched forward cautiously, then very slowly turned onto the street in the middle of traffic. I had to take over and accelerate hard before I was rear ended.

Damn. I was very hopeful for it, but for me, it's not here, yet. Not even close. For me, I can only recommend something if it makes my life easier. I can't recommend on promises and against my own experience. Currently, it is much more stressful to monitor and correct FSD bumbles than it is to just drive myself. So, for now, FSD is a nice party trick, but not a useful tool. I'm not O'Dowd-ing and thinking it's going to kill us, but yeah... no thanks.
DblOSmith, I had a similar experience. Keeping it pithy... I agree, "for now, FSD is a nice party trick, but not a useful tool." The root of the problem seems to be that the FSD computer can't "see" well enough at distance in all directions to determine when it's truly safe to make a maneuver. It sees forward fine, which is why I use autopilot (or what I would call 'advanced cruise control') all the time, as it only needs to see the lane markers and what the car directly in front is doing. But if I needed it to make a right or left turn from a stop sign onto a 45MPH+ cross street, forget it.

Reactions: DblOSmith
Been using FSD at every opportunity since this last install. (Model Y LR AWD, Oct 2023)

Very impressed. Much better than the previous version.

None the less, I will never use my Tesla as a robotaxi, so this theoretical value attributed to FSD is simply silly. IF I could transfer FSD from Tesla to Tesla I'd likely spring for the 12 grand at his point. But buying the program when it will most likely "die" with my next Tesla, I'll pass.

Rich

DblOSmith, I had a similar experience. Keeping it pithy... I agree, "for now, FSD is a nice party trick, but not a useful tool." The root of the problem seems to be that the FSD computer can't "see" well enough at distance in all directions to determine when it's truly safe to make a maneuver. It sees forward fine, which is why I use autopilot (or what I would call 'advanced cruise control') all the time, as it only needs to see the lane markers and what the car directly in front is doing. But if I needed it to make a right or left turn from a stop sign onto a 45MPH+ cross street, forget it.

I took a couple hour freeway drive yesterday and tried FSD again. I had EAP on my 2018 Models 3, but not my current 2023 Model 3. For a while I was thinking "this is a lot better than EAP was on my old tesla" as it did a good job with following distance and smoother lane changes than it used to.

Then while I was in the right lane it decided to move to the passing lane to pass a slower car in front of me. Except there was already a car in the left lane. IT was slightly behind me, so I might have made the lane change with 1-2 feet between our bumpers, but I took control and stayed in my lane. Then turned off FSD for the rest of the drive,

I've never really tried earlier versions of FSD. Today I activated 12.3.3 while returning home. I was on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Rt 15) here in CT when I activated it. I thought the lane keeping made more small adjustments than necessary, and when it reached the exit it worked but was a bit abrupt. Once it made the left at the end of the ramp it started creeping, At first that didn't matter, but it wasn't long before I took control. I noticed that the screen seemed to be asking, Why? I was to busy driving to deal with it then, and the message disappeared. I quickly realized the problem was that it showed that the speed limit was 15 MPH, which was simply wrong. It must read a route sign as a speed limit sign! Not while on the route, but there were all sorts of signs right off the parkway about getting on. Such as this one, which I drove past.

1712587918737.png
So my question is, how can I tell Tesla about the problem? Is it even possible?

I've never really tried earlier versions of FSD. Today I activated 12.3.3 while returning home. I was on the Wilbur Cross Parkway (Rt 15) here in CT when I activated it. I thought the lane keeping made more small adjustments than necessary, and when it reached the exit it worked but was a bit abrupt. Once it made the left at the end of the ramp it started creeping, At first that didn't matter, but it wasn't long before I took control. I noticed that the screen seemed to be asking, Why? I was to busy driving to deal with it then, and the message disappeared. I quickly realized the problem was that it showed that the speed limit was 15 MPH, which was simply wrong. It must read a route sign as a speed limit sign! Not while on the route, but there were all sorts of signs right off the parkway about getting on. Such as this one, which I drove past.

View attachment 1036700
So my question is, how can I tell Tesla about the problem? Is it even possible?
I would have slowed down to 15mph too. Seriously. This reminds me of a joke where a driver was doing 95mph and was pulled over for doing 95mph on I-95

I used FSD to and from town the day before yesterday, about 5 miles. The only thing I noticed is that on the way back, the speed didn't switch to 65 on the way back. It's like the sign wasn't even there anymore. The car saw that sign when we didn't have FSD so I got kind of confused. It was really good otherwise though. Didn't use FSD in town because even I don't like trying to maneuver through that traffic sometimes.

I agree with most all of the critiques posted thus far. I would like to add that the hesitancy to go, unless all is clear at an intersection, or very slow starts from a stop can be mitigated by pressing the accelerator somewhat and it will remain in FSD mode. That behavior has made it much more usable for me. I believe stomping on the accelerator would disengage FSD, as does jerking the steering wheel or hitting the brake.

. I gave it another shot. It definitely performed much better

Been using FSD for a few days and getting more comfortable with it and trusting it more to do the right thing.

This is very common and I experienced the same when first using FSD.

I quickly realized the problem was that it showed that the speed limit was 15 MPH, which was simply wrong. It must read a route sign as a speed limit sign!
I've confirmed that it is doing just that. Here is the exact location where it changed to 10 mph. This happens multiple times on this route.

Interesting that it sees a limit of 101 mph, but says, "That can't be right. Must be 10 mph."

1000000875.jpg

I used FSD to and from town the day before yesterday, about 5 miles. The only thing I noticed is that on the way back, the speed didn't switch to 65 on the way back. It's like the sign wasn't even there anymore. The car saw that sign when we didn't have FSD so I got kind of confused. It was really good otherwise though. Didn't use FSD in town because even I don't like trying to maneuver through that traffic sometimes.
Similar problem since the update. Software will sporadically ignore speed limit signs and adjust speed.

Reading the various observations made by FSD users, and having used FSD numerous drives after receiving the newest iteration, I would like to share my observations. My suspicion is, much of the angst people report when using FSD is due to the fact that the program does not operate the vehicle in the same way “we” do. So there is an initial conflict when letting a machine do the decision making for us as we drive.

My take on this version of FSD is that it does an excellent job of actually moving my Tesla and me through the world. It does not drive “like me” however. I can live with that. Every now and again I’ll either give the accelerator pedal a boost or tap on the brakes because I’m simply more comfortable with driving in the manner I am used to driving. None the less, the machine isn’t doing anything “wrong.” It’s simply doing its machine programed thing.

My feeling is, we will all have to become accustomed to how automation works when operating a moving vehicle in order for this whole self-driving thing to work out.

Rich

Reactions: JB47394
Reading the various observations made by FSD users, and having used FSD numerous drives after receiving the newest iteration, I would like to share my observations. My suspicion is, much of the angst people report when using FSD is due to the fact that the program does not operate the vehicle in the same way “we” do. So there is an initial conflict when letting a machine do the decision making for us as we drive.

My take on this version of FSD is that it does an excellent job of actually moving my Tesla and me through the world. It does not drive “like me” however. I can live with that. Every now and again I’ll either give the accelerator pedal a boost or tap on the brakes because I’m simply more comfortable with driving in the manner I am used to driving. None the less, the machine isn’t doing anything “wrong.” It’s simply doing its machine programed thing.

My feeling is, we will all have to become accustomed to how automation works when operating a moving vehicle in order for this whole self-driving thing to work out.

Rich
It's not an issue of the car driving different than me. I don't suddenly decide the speed limit has dropped from 45 to 30, and slow down accordingly. I also don't change lanes for no reason, get into the wrong turn lanes (it repeatedly trips up at the same intersection, turning right down a side street instead of the entrance ramp where the light is), or speeding up into a curve.

Reactions: Gigga