Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery day didn't go so well. Options and decisions to be made, seeking input and advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today at 11 a.m. I went to my local Tesla store to inspect the Model Y Long Range (Fremont build) assigned to me. I used a checklist that I found on this forum, and my wife helped me go through it. Flaws noted:

Visible chip on leading edge of the hood.​
Debris (nib?) in paint on leading edge of hood just to the left of the chip.​
Rounded corner of the hood on the left side standing proud, not flush with bumper and trim piece.​
Visible Dent (crease) in hood.​
Left headlight gap wide on one side, tight on the other.​
Trim below driver's door not flush with the bottom of the door.​
A series of scratches along the left rear quarter panel.​
Leading edge of bumper extension on the right side not flush to adjacent rear fender panel.​
Three bubbles in PPF in front of right rear wheel well.​
Intermittent blue lines (chalk marks) on left rear door weatherstrip.​
A small series of scratches on the leading edge of the roof glass.​

Sales contact took the car back for the detail shop for them to review. Initial response was that they would take care of paint issues (chip on hood, presumably nib on hood, scratches on left rear quarter panel, but that the visible hood crease could not be repaired by dentless repair and would be left as is. Same for the panel gaps - to be left as is. Sales contact proposed these options - take delivery of the car accepting the hood crease and panel gap issues, or refuse the VIN and be assigned another VIN. I asked what would happen if there were issues with the replacement VIN, leading me to refuse it. I was told I would forfeit my $250 deposit and be put on a "do not sell to" list. It was now 1:30, and I had to leave for another appointment. I told the sales contact I would call them before tonight's closing.

Shortly after I left the Tesla store, the sales contact called me to relay that the shop manager said he would order a new hood and have it painted to match (Midnight Silver Metallic). I was told the other paint issues had been corrected. Options available at this point - agree to have a new hood ordered and painted (and hope for a convincing color match?) or refuse the VIN and be assigned another VIN with the same caveat in the event of a second refusal as above - lose the deposit and be placed on the do not sell to list.

When I called the Tesla store tonight, I asked if I could come and inspect the repairs performed today before I make a decision. The sales contact conferred with a supervisor and this was agreed to. I then asked if Tesla's offer to order a new hood and paint it conveyed Tesla's recognition that the car was not fit for delivery, and if so might that mean I would not lose my first of two options of refusal. I was told no. I then asked if I take the car with the hood as is, would Tesla discount the car. The sales contact said she would reach out to a supervisor to ask about this possibility.

If I could have a guarantee that the paint on the new hood would be a color match, my inclination might be to go this route, considering the added benefit of hopefully correcting the rounded left front corner of the hood that stands proud next to the adjacent panels. Although I have to admit it seems befuddling to me that I would have to be worrying about a body panel color match on a new car with three miles on it that cost in excess of $50,000!?

Looking for advice, thoughts and input, and corrections if anything I was told is inaccurate.

Thank you,
Gary

Reactions: baguette
I'm not aware of the "refusal to sell to" aspect, but I wouldn't be I suppose. I have heard you can only reject twice before you lose the deposit.

I suppose I'd want to escalate to better understand Tesla policy. Maybe try a different store and ask how to engage next level support? At the same time I don't see Tesla's SC as being unreasonable. I do think asking for the discount weakened your position. Would I accept the car? After the hood was painted. I don't believe that's a hard color to match (as white is), but...

Sorry to hear of your problems.

BTW, years ago I took delivery of an Impala with a bad engine. It sounded odd on delivery (thankfully I noted same), and was dead inside a month. New engine installed and they scratched the heck out of it the process. Now fresh paint. On a black car for gods sake. I was not happy. That car was fantastic for 10 more years. So yea, giving them a chance to make it right worked out. Hopefully it will for your too!

Three bubbles in PPF in front of right rear wheel well.

PPF?

Part of me thinks that early quality control issues have caused people to raise the bar too high for Tesla. I mean... I've never brought a checklist with me when buying a car. Likely if I did, each and every car would have failed.

Is the car really that bad?

Father:

As a general statement I tend to agree. All things considered I was very impressed w/my Fremont built Y. There were a few minor things on mine, EG a mild discoloration in the rear bumper, that Tesla agreed to fix. After driving it for a few days I decided I certainly didn't notice it and didn't need to be that anal. Still, OP's has a dented hood? Hard to not call that a problem worthy of addressing. YMMV

Reactions: zoomer0056
Yeah, a dented hood sure sounds like a very real issue and not just a case of being picky. I'm quite surprised that they'd even try to sell a car with a dented hood.

That makes me wish the OP had provided photos of the dented hood. Not saying I don't believe it ... just that seeing it would make it easier to accept.

Today at 11 a.m. I went to my local Tesla store to inspect the Model Y Long Range (Fremont build) assigned to me. I used a checklist that I found on this forum, and my wife helped me go through it. Flaws noted:

Visible chip on leading edge of the hood.​
Debris (nib?) in paint on leading edge of hood just to the left of the chip.​
Rounded corner of the hood on the left side standing proud, not flush with bumper and trim piece.​
. . .​
Looking for advice, thoughts and input, and corrections if anything I was told is inaccurate.

Thank you,
Gary

The vast majority of Y's have no paint issues so why settle for the rare one that does. Its your money, so reject it, and wait for the perfect one coming just behind it. Let a person with a less-decerning eye accept this one.

Hey Gary,
From what I’ve read it seems like you might be overthinking this whole situation, but I haven’t seen photos and can’t really weigh in here. I do worry that your expectations might be too high though. Most of the real issues seem like Tesla is willing to fix them, and the others you won’t notice after two or three months.

I only mention this because you seem pretty stressed about the situation and, other than the hood issue, I think in time you’ll look back on this experience and realize the stress isn’t necessary. I know I was stressed on delivery day and looking back at it, I can’t even remember what I was worried about.

I hope everything works out for you bud. 🤞

From my keyboard it is impossible to tell if your car is a mess, or if you are just extremely picky.

It is up to you to determine if your car is acceptable.

It is well known that Tesla are not assembled nor painted to show car standards. If you look hard enough you can find imperfections in most all cars, not just Tesla.

Sounds like your delivery center is making efforts to bring your car up to your standards, but certainly not to the levels of perfection.

Off setting your surface levels of imperfections is the understanding that the electronics and drive line are perhaps the best of the Worlds EV offerings. Perhaps this will allow you to justify a nit here or a non flush fitting body panel.

Surgeons are often warned that better is the enemy of good. Trying to get perfection often ends in frustration.

Some of the best cars I have ever owned had body fit issues. Early 70's Bricklin had horrible plastic body fit issues, 1964 Corvette Convertible had poor fiberglass body panel fitments, 1996 Dodge Viper had body assembled with douzens of body fit shims, and even my latest 2023 Tesla Model X has a panel that is slightly proud of it's neighbor. Still all in all the driving and ownership experience of these cars was far better than my well fitting but overpriced Mercedes Benz. Benz was well screwed together and the doors slammed shut with a solid :thunk:, but overall, it was a boring ownership experience.

If you are lucky enough to be able to purchase a brand new Tesla...You are Lucky enough.

You've probably already made your decision. Did you reject?
Thank you to all who weighed in with your great responses. Long story short - no, we did not reject the car, we took delivery yesterday. When I say we, I mean myself and my wife. The car is for the two of us. I was grateful to have her participation and interest in the decision making process involved in taking this step into EV ownership. Basically she agreed with those of you who suggested I consider dialing back my expectations and my emotional investment a little bit.

Yesterday, before accepting the VIN, I looked the car over and saw the chip on the leading edge of the hood had been filled (overfilled actually, now more of a blob/bubble). The scratches on the rear quarter panel were buffed out. Body fitment and alignment issues were determined to be within spec, and no adjustments were made. Tesla authorized a new hood and paint to match - I have 60 days to decide if I want to move on this.

Throughout the process, I came to realize I just wanted to be treated fairly. To those who stated the do not sell to list is not a thing, I hope this is truly the case. I did not escalate, nor did I ask to see written policy on the matter, although I considered doing both. I will say I did not like being told that I could be placed on such a list, idle threat or not. I don't blame the sales contact. It is my belief that the SC was simply a messenger conveying a supervisor's directives. Also, I was not thrilled with the possible loss of the $250 deposit if I ended up using two VIN refusals.

Some context here...in July we put a $250 deposit on a RWD Model 3. After some discussion that led us to wonder if the Model Y might be a better overall choice for us, we booked an appointment and took a MY test drive to refresh our memories (our previous test drives of both the 3 and Y were back in Feb. 2023). We decided to switch to the Model Y. Per Tesla's policy, since we were not upgrading the RWD Model 3 to an AWD or Performance Model 3, we had to forfeit our $250 deposit on 3RWD, even though we would be upgrading to the MYLR with a substantial price increase. To be honest that doesn't feel entirely fair to me either.

To those who wanted to see photos, I totally understand. I was feeling quite harried and anxious throughout the inspection process. I marked the areas of concern with a post it note, and I did take a single photo of each issue. I am not a professional photographer. Thankfully the car was parked in the shade as it was quite hot, but the lighting was not great. Suffice it to say that Tesla agreed to replace the hood with a new one painted to match. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has expertise in factory paint vs. local paint shop paint.

I'm now ready to go out and enjoy the day. I hope you are doing the same, and I thank each one of you for taking the time to share your thoughts and stories, and for providing some much need perspective to two new MYLR owners!

I will say I did not like being told that I could be placed on such a list, idle threat or not. I don't blame the sales contact. It is my belief that the SC was simply a messenger conveying a supervisor's directives. Also, I was not thrilled with the possible loss of the $250 deposit if I ended up using two VIN refusals.

Yeah, that's not cool. Although they're not the same as salespeople at a dealership, they still have an agenda to deliver cars... and I'm sure this leads some employees to commit less than honest behavior.

On the flip side, if they don't apply *SOME* amount of pressure, there will be sticklers who reject 10 cars for unrealistic reasons before accepting one.

Some context here...in July we put a $250 deposit on a RWD Model 3. After some discussion that led us to wonder if the Model Y might be a better overall choice for us, we booked an appointment and took a MY test drive to refresh our memories (our previous test drives of both the 3 and Y were back in Feb. 2023). We decided to switch to the Model Y. Per Tesla's policy, since we were not upgrading the RWD Model 3 to an AWD or Performance Model 3, we had to forfeit our $250 deposit on 3RWD, even though we would be upgrading to the MYLR with a substantial price increase. To be honest that doesn't feel entirely fair to me either.

Also agree. This is really crappy. It's the same company. There's no good reason that your deposit should have been forfeited.

Reactions: zoomer0056