Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Accepting or Rejecting Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Looking for some input/perspective/advice.

This would be our 3rd Tesla (current 2016 MX & 2019 M3 owner). Was supposed to take delivery today of a new MX to replace our current MX.

Upon inspection we found the following issues:

• Interior
    • Passenger side 2nd row seat was found jammed in the retracted position and could not be moved (Tesla considered this a safety issue and would not deliver the car until fixed which they said they would get to first thing in the morning)
    • What appeared to be oil stains in trunk area that did not rub out by hand
    • Interior could have been cleaned better (a couple of stains on the seat that did rub out. A few pine needles in the seat creases
  • Exterior
    • 2 paint chips on passenger side lower front bumper
    • Driver side bumper not flush on the side with body of the car
    • Driver window weather seal has a gouge in it
    • B pillar weather seal looks unusually “weathered” and cracked for a new vehicle
    • Driver side FWD window weather seal is twisted/damaged
    • Driver side rear wheel fender is scraped/damaged
    • Lots of pine needle/tree debris in various nooks and crannies (I know not a defect, but felt they could have prepped the car better overall)
Tesla is currently fixing the 2nd row seat. They have suggested we otherwise accept the vehicle and schedule a service appointment to fix the rest of the issues. It was suggested they may just replace the front bumper all together.

Some additional history: This was an inventory car up in Tysons Corner (we are in Richmond, VA) that I agreed to be matched to even though it had 22” wheels (I wanted 20” - otherwise the car was the exact configuration i was looking for and I wanted to be able to transfer FSD from my M3 before the offer expired at the end of the month). The car has 12 miles on it but was originally listed as a demo car with a discount. By the time I agreed to be matched to it they had removed the discount though it was still listed on the site as a demo car (however SA said it wasn’t actually used as a demo (and the odometer seems to agree).

A friend of mine is advising me to reject the car. He is concerned that the car was damaged during transport (based on misaligned front bumper, rear wheel fender scraping, the fact that it was initially discounted and listed as a demo vehicle and the possibility that it was sitting around for a bit). He feels that IF I do allow them to repair the issues that I insist they repair before I accept the vehicle to ensure it is done to my satisfaction.

My view: Certainly disappointed in the apparent lack of any kind of delivery prep on their end (how they could not have addressed the jammed 2nd row seat before attempting delivery is beyond me). Otherwise the issues don’t seem egregious to me and certainly fixable. I will ask them tomorrow for transport and damage history and see what they say.

So things I’m specifically looking for feedback on:
  • Perspective on severity of the issues noted
  • Would you accept or reject over these?
  • If you accepted, would you insist they repair before delivery?
  • Would you ask for a discount?
I’ve attached pictures for reference.

Thanks everyone!
IMG_1529.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpeg
IMG_1524.jpeg
IMG_1516.jpeg
IMG_1515.jpeg
IMG_1511.jpeg
IMG_1510.jpeg
IMG_9812.jpeg

Ideally, Tesla should fix all these issues before showing the car to you. Now you saw the car, Ideally, Tesla should fix them to your satisfaction before they can take your money.

However, Tesla's practice has been you pay first, then it’s your own responsibility to deal with Service Center.

After taking your money, you might lose time to convince Service Center that these are not within specs and you'll be at its mercy.

It's just crazy. It's just not normal at all!

I know you want the car a lot but if I were you, I would not pay for a problematic car. I would walk away.

Tesla used to be an EV monopoly but now you have other brand options.

I would reject. But it the issue is how to get the money back because you already accepted the delivery (how could you inspected the interior without accepting the delivery?).
You should have refused the delivery when seeing so many bad things on the exterior and asked for a new car. Don't ask for discount: that sounds cheap and you may get other bad things with the car later.
It looks like the car had some kind of accident - the scratches and paint touch ups show that.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

This would be our 3rd Tesla (current 2016 MX & 2019 M3 owner). Was supposed to take delivery today of a new MX to replace our current MX.

Upon inspection we found the following issues:

• Interior
    • Passenger side 2nd row seat was found jammed in the retracted position and could not be moved (Tesla considered this a safety issue and would not deliver the car until fixed which they said they would get to first thing in the morning)
    • What appeared to be oil stains in trunk area that did not rub out by hand
    • Interior could have been cleaned better (a couple of stains on the seat that did rub out. A few pine needles in the seat creases
  • Exterior
    • 2 paint chips on passenger side lower front bumper
    • Driver side bumper not flush on the side with body of the car
    • Driver window weather seal has a gouge in it
    • B pillar weather seal looks unusually “weathered” and cracked for a new vehicle
    • Driver side FWD window weather seal is twisted/damaged
    • Driver side rear wheel fender is scraped/damaged
    • Lots of pine needle/tree debris in various nooks and crannies (I know not a defect, but felt they could have prepped the car better overall)
Tesla is currently fixing the 2nd row seat. They have suggested we otherwise accept the vehicle and schedule a service appointment to fix the rest of the issues. It was suggested they may just replace the front bumper all together.

Some additional history: This was an inventory car up in Tysons Corner (we are in Richmond, VA) that I agreed to be matched to even though it had 22” wheels (I wanted 20” - otherwise the car was the exact configuration i was looking for and I wanted to be able to transfer FSD from my M3 before the offer expired at the end of the month). The car has 12 miles on it but was originally listed as a demo car with a discount. By the time I agreed to be matched to it they had removed the discount though it was still listed on the site as a demo car (however SA said it wasn’t actually used as a demo (and the odometer seems to agree).

A friend of mine is advising me to reject the car. He is concerned that the car was damaged during transport (based on misaligned front bumper, rear wheel fender scraping, the fact that it was initially discounted and listed as a demo vehicle and the possibility that it was sitting around for a bit). He feels that IF I do allow them to repair the issues that I insist they repair before I accept the vehicle to ensure it is done to my satisfaction.

My view: Certainly disappointed in the apparent lack of any kind of delivery prep on their end (how they could not have addressed the jammed 2nd row seat before attempting delivery is beyond me). Otherwise the issues don’t seem egregious to me and certainly fixable. I will ask them tomorrow for transport and damage history and see what they say.

So things I’m specifically looking for feedback on:
  • Perspective on severity of the issues noted
  • Would you accept or reject over these?
  • If you accepted, would you insist they repair before delivery?
  • Would you ask for a discount?
I’ve attached pictures for reference.

Thanks everyone! View attachment 975153View attachment 975154View attachment 975155View attachment 975156View attachment 975157View attachment 975158View attachment 975159View attachment 975160
Reject the car unless they are offering a sweet discount. Even with discount insist on getting the issues fixed upfront or get in writing they will fix the issues after taking delivery. Good luck.

I would reject as well. It will be a frustration inducing hassle for you afterwards to get them to fix these and fix them correctly. A guy on another Facebook group literally had to go thru the lemon law process after Tesla improperly fixed issues that originally came at delivery. Tesla service is the worst imo.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I've never owned a Tesla, put in an order for a MXP due to price drop. Did a demo drive in a filthy MX with both middle seats not working properly on a new car with only 3K miles. Now these pictures??? I'm seriously doubting I want a Tesla. WTF is going on with their quality fit/finish issues? This is not acceptable and out of the 20+ new cars I've personally owned I have never seen such lack of quality in my life. Horrible.

If a buyer rejects the X before paying, does Tesla build them another vehicle or does that cancel the sale? What's happens to the $250 deposit?
They will attempt to match you to another VIN from existing inventory. If none is available, then will have to wait for another one to be available from factory shipment. I believe you can reject 1 vehicle. I get the impression that if you don't take delivery of the next one, then they will cancel your order and you lose the $250 non refundable fee.

Though I'm not sure what happens if there's still significant quality issues with the 2nd vehicle an you still want to get another vehicle.

Is their prep team blind?
Tesla is definitely not good in this respect. I believe they are told, if the panel is not falling off just see if the customer notices. Or see if they will accept and hand over their nonrefundable $. Somebody will take this car and have them fix it. You'd think, if they gotta fix it, just fix it before the sale. Nope. If there's 10 defects and the customer only requests 8 and you can say 2 are within spec ....