Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model X almost perfect delivery, except one paint defect….details inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2024 Model X delivery, almost perfect except one paint issue…details inside

Had my delivery appointment yesterday, 2024 Model X LR, ultra red, everything for the most part was perfect, some few scuffs on the rear headliner that were easily removed, also some small glue marks on paint , they took the car in the service bay and were easily removed.

After accepting car and chatting with the manager, who we know well from our previous car and interactions, a few more minutes, I notice a larger, deeper paint defect in the passenger side, quarter panel.
Had manager look at and he called the service manager to assess it as well, and after looking at it, he said he can touch it up with touch up paint, which would not be good permanent fix long term, and recommended that the official Tesla body shop repair it the “right way”. So per manager’s recommendation, he said to leave the car with him because if I take the car home and/or if it has over 100 miles they may not repair it etc. So I left without my new Model X.

I am bummed of course, but want to get this fixed the right way.
Picture attached for reference.

I am a little nervous about having a new car sanded and painted etc! I hope the repaired quarter panel matches and there is no mismatch of paint etc.

Anything I should be assessing after the repair?
Anyone else have paint issues at delivery which had to get repaired by Tesla?

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpeg
    IMG_1371.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1370.jpeg
    IMG_1370.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 35
Honestly. defects like this are wet sanded and touched up all the time on new cars - the only difference is its usually done in the paint shop before you notice it. Thats pretty out of the way, and Im sure can mostly be fixed. It wont be 100% perfect, but once they're done I bet no one but you will ever know its there.

Honestly. defects like this are wet sanded and touched up all the time on new cars - the only difference is its usually done in the paint shop before you notice it. Thats pretty out of the way, and Im sure can mostly be fixed. It wont be 100% perfect, but once they're done I bet no one but you will ever know its there.
Thanks for the reply, it’s at the official Tesla Collision Center, I guess lucky to have one in my town.
Apparently they will do the whole panel, they don’t do just a strip .

Watch out for the paint match on that panel with the rest of the body. "All the time", but it's your $, so you're entitled to another time too.

"the only difference is it's usually done in the paint shop before you notice it" - agreed 100%, but it's Tesla and QC is subpar.

I had a similar defect in mine. Couldn’t fathom sending it to a body shop for that. The service advisor said they would have so do hella *sugar* like repainting and blending. I’m gonna get a touch up kit hopefully free from them and fix that.

I had a similar defect in mine. Couldn’t fathom sending it to a body shop for that. The service advisor said they would have so do hella *sugar* like repainting and blending. I’m gonna get a touch up kit hopefully free from them and fix that.
True, but it is on them and they need to make it right, it is a nearly a 100k car. The service manager said touch up paint would not be a long term fix as it would wear down over time etc.

As long as you have the option to reject the car still, let them do whatever. While painting the panel will make the spot disappear, the risk is that the panel will not match perfectly with the rest of the car under certain light. I'd personally also opt for touch up (or just reject, after all for 100k why have paint chips to begin with), if done properly with a couple of clear coat layers the durability thing he told you about is not really true, but will be visible up close.

As long as you have the option to reject the car still, let them do whatever. While painting the panel will make the spot disappear, the risk is that the panel will not match perfectly with the rest of the car under certain light. I'd personally also opt for touch up (or just reject, after all for 100k why have paint chips to begin with), if done properly with a couple of clear coat layers the durability thing he told you about is not really true, but will be visible up close.
Thanks

True, but it is on them and they need to make it right, it is a nearly a 100k car. The service manager said touch up paint would not be a long term fix as it would wear down over time etc.
You do you, but realistically unless you gonna put ppf on it at the dealership you still run the chance getting rock chips. Like the other person said it’s not worth the potential paint match issues.

To make you feel better I recently got my first rock chip on an otherwise perfect hood of my UR MXP - that after deciding to only ceramic coat it as I prefer the look of metal with coating to PPF. I did only ppf the bumper. Now I ordered dr colorchip and will ppf full front. My conclusion is that this UR paint is even less durable than pearl white - the chipped paint looks incredibly thin on the edges. You will get chips unless you ppf.
IMG_1639.jpeg

Ask the body shop if you have their contact. At the factory the bake-in process is different. I’d think 30 days is safest, a week probably the very minimum but it depends on a lot of factors such as paint type. You can drive the car and probably gently wash it after a few days but I wouldn’t put ppf or chemical coatings for maybe a few weeks. I didn’t put any rock chips for 3 months and 1400 miles, you’ll be fine ;)