Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint flaws on brand new March 2024 Model Y, Deep Blue Metallic color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my new Model Y Performance yesterday. However there are major paint flaws at the inside door panels. Asked them to switch to a different VIN, they said they don't have a different one available (probably a lie) and I can either deny delivery or accept it then make a service appointment right away. I went with the latter option.

I'm having buyers remorse thinking about it...accepting a flawed brand new car...welp I blame myself for falling into their 10,000 miles supercharging promotion...didn't want to take delivery in April 😓

Does anyone have similar issues? If so can you make Tesla swap out to a different car at this point? Currently at 40 ish miles.

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    448.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7855.jpeg
    IMG_7855.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7856.jpeg
    IMG_7856.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Funny
Reactions: KJD and ucmndd
You can swap as many vins as you want but you'll find most cars are like this. It's a function of the value engineering. Why paint the inside of the door sills that cannot be seen when the doors are closed?

Feels a bit crummy but as an engineer I come to respect the value engineering behind the decision.
I see your point but even economy cars in the 30-40k price range still have full paint color at those locations, just not polished like the outside body paint, for reasons like you said "cannot be seen when doors are closed".

You picked up the car, I'm pretty sure that you own the car now. I don't think that you can swap.

But if they are indeed paint flaws, they'll do their best to fix them. I believe that you have 10 days to note any issues.

But inside door frame paint? I think that what you are seeing maybe standard. I couldn't see anything in the pictures.

It's not flawed, it's just the way Tesla does it, and it's not the way that other manufacturers do it.

I couldn’t figure out what you meant from the pics, so I looked mine over. Didn’t see anything at all I’d consider a flaw until I looked inside forward of the door hinge, see pic - is that it? I never noticed that but my Nov 23 Austin car looks the same there, and I wouldn’t consider that a defect, lots of cars have iffy paint in areas that aren’t normally seen. While you don’t know me, I’m about as anal about cars as they come. It’s not Mercedes prices. But it’s your car, your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.jpeg
    IMG_2958.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: ewoodrick
This is exactly how my blue Model Y is. Worse, it has underspray on the *outside* of the trunk lid, and a blotch spot on the rear fender. The paint quality is absolute crap. I didn't bother to ask them to fix it because I was afraid they'd make it worse.
Wow that's way worse than mine. I haven't found any flaws on the outside body when all doors are closed (yet). Only found ones that are visible underneath when doors are opened. There are a few more throughout the car but just hard to capture on camera.

What you are seeing is perfectly "normal" in Tesla standards. The car bodies are painted by robots that are programmed to save as much paint as possible thus saving $$$ on each unit they build. You can thank Musk for the odd reasons he'll have to cut costs that make no sense to normal people (i.e. the logic he used to remove the lumbar support button on the passenger seat). They will not "waste" paint on surfaces people will really never see other than when it's in the body shop for repairs. I had an early production 2020 MY that I traded for a 08/23 Freemont built MYP now. I see the same deficiencies you are seeing on both variations. However, to be fair, the paint quality has improved quite a bit. Regardless, here's still a lot to be desired compared to the traditional automakers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hasagi
Just picked up my new Model Y Performance yesterday. However there are major paint flaws at the inside door panels. Asked them to switch to a different VIN, they said they don't have a different one available (probably a lie) and I can either deny delivery or accept it then make a service appointment right away. I went with the latter option.

I'm having buyers remorse thinking about it...accepting a flawed brand new car...welp I blame myself for falling into their 10,000 miles supercharging promotion...didn't want to take delivery in April 😓

Does anyone have similar issues? If so can you make Tesla swap out to a different car at this point? Currently at 40 ish miles.
Where was it built?

What you are seeing is perfectly "normal" in Tesla standards. The car bodies are painted by robots that are programmed to save as much paint as possible thus saving $$$ on each unit they build. You can thank Musk for the odd reasons he'll have to cut costs that make no sense to normal people (i.e. the logic he used to remove the lumbar support button on the passenger seat). They will not "waste" paint on surfaces people will really never see other than when it's in the body shop for repairs. I had an early production 2020 MY that I traded for a 08/23 Freemont built MYP now. I see the same deficiencies you are seeing on both variations. However, to be fair, the paint quality has improved quite a bit. Regardless, here's still a lot to be desired compared to the traditional automakers.
Thank you. Most sensible explanation so far. To be fair mine has no weird panel gaps and the outside paint looks perfect. Only when you open the doors...secrets revealed.

Had minor paint issues when I got mine in 2021. 60k miles and 3 years later i got many more paint issues mostly made by regular driving and one oopsie i made while installing a bike rack. Those “issues” you are mentioning won’t be relevant. Enjoy the new car!

Reactions: olsookie
I can't believe they even had you make a service appointment, it's not like they're going to actually paint there. This is normal.

I've had non-Teslas like this. Obviously it's a measure to save on paint costs, I wouldn't give any manufacturer flak for doing this. There's no reason to spray and clear the inside of a fender or door jamb.

Remove the frunk tub and you'll be greeted by a sea of brown metal.

I can't believe they even had you make a service appointment, it's not like they're going to actually paint there. This is normal.

I've had non-Teslas like this. Obviously it's a measure to save on paint costs, I wouldn't give any manufacturer flak for doing this. There's no reason to spray and clear the inside of a fender or door jamb.

Remove the frunk tub and you'll be greeted by a sea of brown metal.
Pre-sales promises vs post-sales reality

3/2024. So as new as it gets. I believe Fremont build from the VIN:View attachment 1035181
What I figured… on another thread I referenced my daughters MY that she picked up last week. The first car was a freemont build and had paint issues but good otherwise (rejected)… second car was Austin build with perfect paint but broke down after leaving the delivery center (returned), third was freemont with good paint/panels. From what I’ve gathered reading online during those few days the Austin builds have better paint quality… but have other issues apparently

Reactions: olsookie and hasagi