Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand New Model Y LR Paint Defect on Hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a brand new Tesla Model Y LR. I took delivery at a Tesla location several hours away. I took the car to my nearest Tesla service center thinking the area could be buffed out. I was told that the hood would need to be repainted by their bodyshop and that if I wanted to have it covered under warranty that it would need to be done the next day. I asked if I could have a day or two to make a decision and if I could take the car to the body shop myself. I was told by the service advisor that I could not drive the car myself to the bodyshop if I wanted Tesla to cover the cost of the repair. I was told that Tesla would call me before any work was preformed to let me know what the body shop said. I did inquire about a whole new hood from the factory and was told that I would not want this as it might not match as they have 8 shades of white.

The Tesla location where I took delivery said that I can bring the car to them and that their bodyshop will blend the area. This location is hours away and I am worried about them trying to blend a pearl white. I was told by a third party person with bodyshop experience that repainting the entire hood or getting a factory hood would be the best option as it would be difficult to blend and that over time it wouldn't look good. At this point I am unsure what to think. All I know is that I am not impressed with Tesla service at all. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
IMG_1828.jpg

Lighter color is easier to hide imperfection, I have a recent accident and the doors + quarter panel is replaced and painted, didn't notice a different. It very much depends on the body shop and the person working on it though .. whether replace the hood and/or repaint, parts are not painted and they must blend and match to the rest of the vehicle. It may come back with different gaps or poorly painted or perfectly painted...

When i got mine delivered it came with a little scratch in the bumper. Their solution was to replace the bumper witb a new. Maybe you should suggest that
I was pushing for a new replacement hood from the factory. I was told by the local service advisor that there would be issue in the color matching and he said a lot of stuff like that gets damaged in freight. At this point all I know is Tesla is a mess when it comes to service. I am totally disgusted and ashamed.

I was pushing for a new replacement hood from the factory. I was told by the local service advisor that there would be issue in the color matching and he said a lot of stuff like that gets damaged in freight. At this point all I know is Tesla is a mess when it comes to service. I am totally disgusted and ashamed.
As awful as that sounds, the defect itself doesn’t look significant as others have said. Give it a few weeks and you’ll probably forget. Most people won’t even notice it ever. You’re bound to get bigger blemishes from normal driving if you don’t have ppf

As awful as that sounds, the defect itself doesn’t look significant as others have said. Give it a few weeks and you’ll probably forget. Most people won’t even notice it ever. You’re bound to get bigger blemishes from normal driving if you don’t have ppf
I somewhat agree with what you are saying, but even the local service advisor said that it might affect the value if the car was sold. You can feel the spot and I am worried that if it is covered with paint protection film that a bubble might form. I asked Tesla for some sort of compensation for the defect as I figured that was a good middle ground. The issue to me is the way that I have been treated by Tesla service about the situation.

That's why you should always buy a used car.
If you don't look for it, it's not there.
But if you find it, it doesn't matter.
I have a Honda with 360k miles and it has only been to the dealer once for an airbag recall and it has the original engine and transmission. The point is that Tesla quality control is pathetic and my experience with the service department is just as bad. They could easily give me a $1,000 credit or give me a coupon for service or accessories and I would be happy.

CitySquirrel: You lost me with "Tesla quality control is pathetic." A blemish on your hood, that your photo doesn't really show? That's it?

Without a decent photo of the blemish, we really have nothing to talk about here.

CitySquirrel: You lost me with "Tesla quality control is pathetic." A blemish on your hood, that your photo doesn't really show? That's it?

Without a decent photo of the blemish, we really have nothing to talk about here.
There were also other issues besides the paint. I had to have a seat recovered. Sorry a picture doesn't do it justice on a forum. You have to see and fill the defect in person. I had a third party bodyshop look at it and they agreed that the entire hood should be repainted to do the job correctly.

If you're worried about resale, do not get it repainted. That will be way more noticeable than that little blemish.
Unless it is really noticeable and a really really awful job of repaint like totally different colors which one will easily reject it, minor blemishes won't affect resale value and truth to be told Tesla resale values sucks anyway unless there is another pandemic type of situation.

So instead of letting them actually do something to fix it, you complain that Tesla is horrible. Take a breath, go back and let them fix it for you. If they screw it up more, or don't do a satisfactory job, deal with it when it happens. They don't want an unhappy customer.

Reactions: Mercimek
So instead of letting them actually do something to fix it, you complain that Tesla is horrible. Take a breath, go back and let them fix it for you. If they screw it up more, or don't do a satisfactory job, deal with it when it happens. They don't want an unhappy customer.
You Tesla fanboys are missing the point. The car is my 50k asset and I have 20 years experience working in the aviation maintenance industry. I want to be involved in the repair process to make sure the quality of the repair is good the first time. I requested to know what was going to be involved in the repair and the local service center said no and that this was my only chance to have Tesla cover the cost under warranty. I was told some other Tesla bull$&@ about the repair process being confidential information. News to you Tesla fanboys that not all body shops are created equal. I have worked with many body shop guys in the aerospace industry.

Why Tesla fanboys except the crap Tesla quality control with paint and body panel gaps is beyond me. The technology is amazing, but anyone in a with any mechanical experience knows that Tesla is lacking on fit and finish. At this point in the game there is zero excuse for this and they need to get their game together.

Follow up: I recently spoke to a Tesla Collision Center about four hours away that just opened up. This is an actual Tesla Collision Center and not a third party approved body shop. Their customer service was night and day different and they provided a level of customer service that should be the norm for the company. I was told that I can go to any Tesla approved body shop that I choose and that there is nothing secret about the repair process for my defect. They were so kind and explained the entire process and said I had several weeks to make a decision since the defect was noted in the Tesla system. They couldn’t believe that I was pressured and said they hear a lot of bad things from customers about Tesla Service. This collision center in Kansas City was beyond awesome!!!

Last edited:
CitySquirrel: I'm glad your latest service seems to be working out for you. You're correct that Tesla service is still fraught with failure and inconsistency.

However, IMHO, using the monikor "Tesla fanboy" simply because someone, or several, disagree with you isn't going to win you any friends here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge re: the Tesla experience, and leaving emotional displays out of the discussion will return better results, and benefits all of us.

Keep us posted as your issue is resolved.

Follow up: I recently spoke to a Tesla Collision Center about four hours away that just opened up. This is an actual Tesla Collision Center and not a third party approved body shop. Their customer service was night and day different and they provided a level of customer service that should be the norm for the company. I was told that I can go to any Tesla approved body shop that I choose and that there is nothing secret about the repair process for my defect. They were so kind and explained the entire process and said I had several weeks to make a decision since the defect was noted in the Tesla system. They couldn’t believe that I was pressured and said they hear a lot of bad things from customers about Tesla Service. This collision center in Kansas City was beyond awesome!!!

I had a very good experience with Tesla insurance and Tesla Collision Center in Dallas. Both handles the claim in timely matter without any problem, status are updated twice weekly, I don't ever have to worry about what's going on. I think Tesla expands their collision centers by buying some local companies and retained their staff, you can also walk into the shop, live person answers the phone, it makes all the differences.

Contrary the person that replies on the app can be clueless, making things up, rude, they are not evaluated and those positions likely disposable and turn over quickly.

CitySquirrel: I'm glad your latest service seems to be working out for you. You're correct that Tesla service is still fraught with failure and inconsistency.

However, IMHO, using the monikor "Tesla fanboy" simply because someone, or several, disagree with you isn't going to win you any friends here. This forum is a wealth of knowledge re: the Tesla experience, and leaving emotional displays out of the discussion will return better results, and benefits all of us.

Keep us posted as your issue is resolved.
Thank you for your input, but I did not make my post for friends. I was hoping that someone might offer some suggestions. I have been in shock with the lack of customer service provided by Tesla. It is clear that Tesla still has some bugs to work out when it comes to service and that fit and finish on brand new cars is an issue.

I used to be a Tesla fanboy myself until my recent Tesla purchase. There was nothing derogatory about saying Tesla fanboy and the paint defect was just one of several issues I have had with my first Tesla. I really believed in the Tesla experience and they have amazing technology, but when it comes to some of the basics Tesla has room for improvement.