Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do I convince Tesla to fix the paint on my new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it makes you feel better. I’m getting tesla to fix this. Taking it in tomorrow for a 3rd attempt.
1st attempt, the manf issue wasn’t corrected, second attempt, the metallic levels don’t even match. Wonder how this 3rd attempt will come out. I’m going to tell them they’d better not start blending into the other panels. That’s just a rabbit hole.

For those who say “why didn’t you reject?”
This wasn’t visible when I picked up my car. Only after a couple of months, when I was finally able to park in the garage, at the right light angle, I saw this.

Car normally sits outside with the sun beaming on it which makes it difficult to see.

Attachments

• IMG_9244.jpeg
    IMG_9244.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 123
I just took delivery of my new Model Y that has swirl marks and scratches all over the car, the hood seems the worst. Tesla is trying to make it seem like I am overreacting and things are in spec. What do you think based on the photos? What can I say to get them to do anything more. These are after they took it to the body shop and "fixed" the paint issues.

I probably would have rejected delivery, but it was early on in the FSD transfer process before they clarified that you can reject delivery.

Legitimately have zero issues with the paint on my 2018 model 3 even to this day and I have no wrap on it. How this "new" Model Y looks worse than my 5 year old model 3 is beyond me. Does the blue just show scratches more than the white?

That looks freakin’ terrible. It almost looks like something was resting on the paint and was dragged on the car.

It’s one thing if it was like a slightly used model Y with that type of marring, but being new with those type of imperfections? Absolutely not. But depending on how much time you have, you can continue to dispute that or cut your losses, and those light surface scratches can easily (mostly) be removed without probably even using an orbital tool.

I mean, you paid for this car, and the question is at this point, is it something that you can reach a resolution on or at best, maybe Tesla will take the bill if a body shop is reasonable on the price.

If it makes you feel better. I’m getting tesla to fix this. Taking it in tomorrow for a 3rd attempt.
1st attempt, the manf issue wasn’t corrected, second attempt, the metallic levels don’t even match. Wonder how this 3rd attempt will come out. I’m going to tell them they’d better not start blending into the other panels. That’s just a rabbit hole.

For those who say “why didn’t you reject?”
This wasn’t visible when I picked up my car. Only after a couple of months, when I was finally able to park in the garage, at the right light angle, I saw this.

Car normally sits outside with the sun beaming on it which makes it difficult to see.
Just wanted to update. Got the car back after the 4th attempt.
They didn’t even finish the under side of the top deck.
Scheduled for a 5th try. FML

These scratches (not swirls) look like they were caused by someone who was trying to remove something from the paint, like water spots, bird droppings or some other difficult to remove foreign substance. It looks as if whatever they were using was contaminated with dirt, sand or something they probably didn’t know was there. Simply dropping a microfiber rag can pick up sand that could cause this.

The good news is that those scratches are probably barely into the clear coat and a good detailer can most assuredly get them out.

If you haven’t done so study the art of detailing and using microfiber rags: sites like AutoGeeks, Autopia, and others have advice on this.

Things to remember:

Use only new or clean microfiber towels
With no tags.
Lay the rag flat on a hard surface and run your hand over it to feel for anything rough like sand( it only takes 1 grain).

Use light pressure and use two rags, one will hold more water or detail spray the second will dry the surface. Always use light pressure.

Do not reuse rags unless cleaned separately from your other laundry. You can buy microfiber rag cleaning kits.

If you drop a rag on the garage floor DO NOT use it. Get a new clean one.
Check your work with lighting that highlights scratches. Fluorescents do this well.

Good Luck.

Reactions: BroncoAZ
my paint was like this straight from picking it up.

it's been raining the past couple days before i was able to go pick up the car.

car was pretty dirty so i didn't notice these swirls on the paint. everything else looked ok so i accepted the car.

drove straight to get ppf and tint done and they sent me these photos.

they did paint correction for me before putting on the ppf.

Attachments

• IMG-0877.JPEG
    IMG-0877.JPEG
    366.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-5069.JPG
    IMG-5069.JPG
    380.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-5070.JPG
    IMG-5070.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-5352.JPEG
    IMG-5352.JPEG