Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Real Time Delivery Question: Is This Misalignment / Paint Defect too Much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all - had a delivery appointment earlier today and noted the following issues on the X. Should it be relevant the build date was on/about April 4, 2023.

Asked to postpone delivery until tomorrow to investigate further and was hoping for the wisdom of TMC here to see if the issue really is an issue as well as double check my reasonableness as a customer.

Been a happy Tesla owner for ~6 years now and ideally would like a 100% perfect car but also understand the pragmatic nature of Tesla and hoping the group can give guidance as to "no, you need to push Tesla on that" or "well...you're kinda making a mountain out of a mole hill".

Here's the issue that's worrying me: the passenger falcon wing door, specifically the alignment and paint quality of where the it meets the rear hatch - the part in the yellow box below.

X - 3.jpeg

Zooming in there appears to be (?) an alignment issue (see below)
X - 1.jpeg

...but do not know if this is a benign issue or something that'll metastasize into a larger problem later on. Again while I'd like a 100% perfect car, there is some "within [tesla] spec" I'm willing to tolerate, but not if it's going to create issues down the road.

The second issue in the area is what I think is a paint defect - see below:
X - 2.jpeg

...that's in the same spot but the paint defect is on the rear hatch part, not the passenger FWD. Like the alignment question I asked above, I do not know if this is just a benign 'within spec' deviation that's annoying but not material or if it's something that needs to be addressed.

Not sure if this helps or not but here's the other side of the car for comparison which appears (?) to be in good order:
X - 1 (1).jpeg

X - 4.jpeg

Lastly there also appeared to be some blemish on the paint on the passenger FWD near the rear wheel well. Again uncertain if this is just a cosmetic issue or something that needs a more serious fix:

X - 5.jpeg

I know @holeydonut and @rpo recently had a negative experience and hoping to get some critical viewpoints here.

As always appreciate any insight or wisdom the group can share and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Lol I think the answer to the question is more introspective.

1) if you leased this (not a purchase), just let it go.
2) if you're a bit OCD like me (and worked in end assembly so this stuff would bother you) then get ready for a monster disappointment if you ask Tesla to fix it.
3) if you're just casually owning the car and realize it's going to get beat up over time, don't sweat it too much and just move on.

But, if you see a big screw-up near the rear drain holes along the base of the spoiler, you have to document it and get it fixed when the parts become available. The issue I had on my former-Ultra-Red-X prevented the e-coat and paint from bonding to the metal.

Thanks holey - gave the spoiler area an extra eye over directly due to your thread; appreciate the heads up there.

I'm a buy-n-hold kinda guy so while I tend to buy new cars, my preference is to sit on them for as long as possible.

So in answer to your first question - this is not a lease and my goal is to drive it until it is no longer practical to do so.

I'm not that OCD (isn't that what they all say?) in that I'm prepared to accept a certain amount of 'within design spec' from Tesla as long as it's not going to create an issue over the long term.

The problem is I am not a mechanic and while I do have some experience with owning a Tesla, it's hard for me to gauge whether or not an issue is superficial or indicative of more malignant issue...again I'm a buy and hold kinda guy so I want to make sure the core/bones of the car are solid and can excuse non-issues if not serious.

Lol I think the answer to the question is more introspective.

1) if you leased this (not a purchase), just let it go.
2) if you're a bit OCD like me (and worked in end assembly so this stuff would bother you) then get ready for a monster disappointment if you ask Tesla to fix it.
3) if you're just casually owning the car and realize it's going to get beat up over time, don't sweat it too much and just move on.

But, if you see a big screw-up near the rear drain holes along the base of the spoiler, you have to document it and get it fixed when the parts become available. The issue I had on my former-Ultra-Red-X prevented the e-coat and paint from bonding to the metal.

Thanks holey - gave the spoiler area an extra eye over directly due to your thread; appreciate the heads up there.

I'm a buy-n-hold kinda guy so while I tend to buy new cars, my preference is to sit on them for as long as possible.

So in answer to your first question - this is not a lease and my goal is to drive it until it is no longer practical to do so.

I'm not that OCD (isn't that what they all say?) in that I'm prepared to accept a certain amount of 'within design spec' from Tesla as long as it's not going to create an issue over the long term.

The problem is I am not a mechanic and while I do have some experience with owning a Tesla, it's hard for me to gauge whether or not an issue is superficial or indicative of more malignant issue...again I'm a buy and hold kinda guy so I want to make sure the core/bones of the car are solid and can excuse non-issues if not serious.

Assuming the rear hatch/door and falcon wing doors can open/articulate without parts contacting one another where they shouldn't... you should be fine. It's obvious to me the parts hit each other during some really basic QA, so Tesla applied some low-rent fix to adjust the panels and touchup where the marring occurred.

If someone actually took pride in what they did; it'd look a lot better. But Tesla has zero pride in their fit and finish. While their fixes are a poor appearance, there doesn't appear to be anything in your photos that would be a long-term issue.

IMO, it's not worth your headache to pursue it further with the low-end build quality that Tesla strives for. But it's your car so do what you're comfortable with.