Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My "reaction" was to be insulted by the failed logistics. time wasted in terms of hours, and "disco nightclub" nonsense of the 90's. Idiotic "security" staff trying to corral hundreds of people into a situation where it became apparent there was no cause for all the pushing and shoving -- they just wanted it to look like a bigger clusterf$ck than it already had become. Idiotic marketing mopes trying to get a crowd of people crammed together so their drone can fly over and get video of the make-believe crush of people ... myself being in that crush, before we decided to step aside and let the cattle herd themselves, I'd say not 1% of them were people with an order being built in the next 20,000 cars, if at all.
Why didn't they alert customers that it would be a ridiculous frenzy of holiday weekend bargain shoppers rushing through the doors of department stores only to realize, just like last holiday "black Friday" sales, the prices are unremarkable, just like the products.

It was laughable but painfully so, and in the hour spent waiting outside the factory building some of us realized sooner than others that it was a farce and made our way past the bored "security" staff to the bar ... at least that was ready for entertainment! And that's where they'd lined up enough portapoties for maybe half the awaiting bladders ... and they didn't even get a decent gin! : )

The scene of unmitigated chaos certainly reflected badly on the car and on the company. The idle "security" staff only going to show the whole purpose of the event was to create artificial anticipation and expectation. Instead, it backfired in crowds of "how much longer?" comments. The negative sentiment was palpable. Tesla management need to rethink this kind of stunt marketing nonsense. We could have been in a relaxed environment while the "show" started 90 minutes late after being asked to arrive 90 minutes early ... that's 3 hours of dead time ... and meanwhile we were basically standing outside the factory while the bloggers took photos of the car we've been seeing for months. Ludicrous became idiotic.

The car itself is great and Elon Musk was clearly relieved to sneak inside the "Q3" deadline by a day or two, so I think the car is set to change the way the auto industry expects customers will make premium brand purchase decisions. If I was a Porsche, Mercedes or BMW executive, I'd be looking for a new line of work, because I have to expect to be underperforming for at least the next couple of years till demand for the Model X can be satisfied ... even then, it's realistically 2018 or 2019 before these marques "promise" to bring their version 1.0 products to market while Tesla will already be on its n'th update. Most importantly, the cabin of the X needs an immediate refresh -- it's clearly dated and compromised. I assume this was a compromise to focus on the second row seats and doors. Fair enough. And the Model S needs to be face-lifted to the promises and claims of the Model X features and benefits. So that means a short term stall in Model S sales while informed customers wait for the S to be retrofitted with Model X content.

I think the Model X has created a lot of work for Tesla. Hopefully it has also created enough revenue to bridge the chasm to the mainstream. Musk has the S and the X in his SEX toy. Will the Model E for "everyone" deliver? I think if you took just 10% of the Model X and put it in a compact sedan, the Model E or Model 3 would and will be a game changer. But Mr Musk, if you're reading, you owe me three hours plus costs ...

It's not competing against the Q5 though. It's competing against the X5, GLE, and Q7 which has respective towing capacities of 6,000, 7,200, and 5,500, respectively. The XC90, which is only offered with a 4 cylinder powertrain, offers a 5,000 towing capacity. The X's is certainly competitive, but not particularly impressive.
A towing capacity of 5,000 lbs will satisfy 99% of potential buyers. Seriously--you gonna back your 30 foot bayliner into the lake with this thing? Gimme a break.

I was at the event tonight, and I came away unimpressed with the car. Pretty depressing and it feels like I'm at the end of a four year long journey with the X given that I put a deposit down at the launch in Hawthorne.

I liked the windshield a lot. That was very cool. But the rest of the car, not so much. Someone a few posts back asked about the frunk. It actually looks smaller to me than the S frunk. Maybe a bit wider, but not as deep. What happened to the frunk from the launch that was so incredibly deep?

The thing that really gets me in those second row seats. Why are they like that??? Why not just do a normal second row that folds down? It looks to me like I have more flat linear space in my S. Is that Elon's obsession with the car seat issue so you don't have to take them out? Does he realize that you only have car seats until your kid is six? It's a short term issue but he seems to have placed so much importance on it. I have three kids, but no more car seats. Couldn't care less about not moving a car seat to get to the back row. What is up with the shiny hard black plastic on the back of all the seats? Don't care for that at all.

I thought his presentation was pretty disingenuous. He didn't discuss the things that people really are wondering about, like those seats. Air filters? Seriously, who cares?

The whole thing totally missed the mark for me. I'll be canceling my signature reservation for sure.

I'm still disappointed that it contains stuff I neither need or want:

- The Falcon wing doors should be an option, full stop. They are just too showy for me and my kids are out of car seats so it really means nothing, id rather a cheaper and presumably lighter car.

- Self opening front doors, again not something that I need or am bothered by. Again, leave the motors out for me and save some weight. (I don't even car for powered tailgates!)

Fully automatic doors prevent fingers and hands from being crushed. It's a safety feature. I'm sure you know somewhere who has been injured by a car door at some point.

Improving car safety has always been one of the main goals of Tesla since they started designing the Model S. Don't expect this to change.

I was at the event tonight, and I came away unimpressed with the car. Pretty depressing and it feels like I'm at the end of a four year long journey with the X given that I put a deposit down at the launch in Hawthorne.

I liked the windshield a lot. That was very cool. But the rest of the car, not so much. Someone a few posts back asked about the frunk. It actually looks smaller to me than the S frunk. Maybe a bit wider, but not as deep. What happened to the frunk from the launch that was so incredibly deep?

The thing that really gets me in those second row seats. Why are they like that??? Why not just do a normal second row that folds down? It looks to me like I have more flat linear space in my S. Is that Elon's obsession with the car seat issue so you don't have to take them out? Does he realize that you only have car seats until your kid is six? It's a short term issue but he seems to have placed so much importance on it. I have three kids, but no more car seats. Couldn't care less about not moving a car seat to get to the back row. What is up with the shiny hard black plastic on the back of all the seats? Don't care for that at all.

I thought his presentation was pretty disingenuous. He didn't discuss the things that people really are wondering about, like those seats. Air filters? Seriously, who cares?

The whole thing totally missed the mark for me. I'll be canceling my signature reservation for sure.

I was there as well, and concur with all your assessments.

I would add that the rear seats are probably not very usable by adults. When Elon was showing how easy it is to get into the rear seats, he hit his head. Hard. The second row seat middle seat is also lacking in headroom -- the mechanism for the falcon wing doors looks to take up significant headroom. I thought it was significant that during the test rides, nobody was allowed to sit in the rear seats. Likewise, nobody was allowed to sit in the second row middle seat.

Maybe when I get a chance to view the car in depth, I'll change my tune. Right now, the falcon wing doors and the compromises in design that resulted from their inclusion, have killed this car.

Fail.

I was there. Oh, was I there. Standing in lines and in packed rooms for 2 hours and 50 minutes before the event began at 8:50 PDT. It was so packed, you had to clap raising your hands (carefully) above your head. Not my kind of gig. The on-line video feed gave a much better view than most of us got, although there was a souvenir print of Model X sketches that I'll frame.

There was not much information except the reveal of the front of the X, which eliminates the bulky Model S black nosecone in favor of a body-colored wrap under a tiny opening at the top, the HEPA filter and Biohazard Mode (interesting), and the wrap-over windscreen that many of us supposed to be electrochromic. Maybe it's passively photochromic? Who knows? It's breathtaking, though.

I hoped to find someone from Tesla to talk to about chargers and charging (new HPWC for the X? 60A on-board converter?). There was no one who knew anything. I'll just buy the HPWC for the S - my wiring is 80A breakers, so 64A is the maximum limit anyway.

- The Falcon wing doors should be an option, full stop. .....
- Panoramic front windscreen. Perhaps this would be cool, but again, its not something I require, so would rather save on cost!
...... Just make the flashy stuff and option.

Unfortunately, this is nearly impossible even if they want to.
The Falcon Wing door demands a totally different frame and structure than a normal door that you are basically requesting a different car. Same for the panoramic windshield.

You can make Hi-Fi or electronics/software an option, but not something which requires an alteration to the chassis or body structure.

Sorry that you don't like these features, but I certainly do. These are the things that make Model X unique, and these features alone would sell many cars.

I was there as well, and concur with all your assessments.

I would add that the rear seats are probably not very usable by adults. When Elon was showing how easy it is to get into the rear seats, he hit his head. Hard. The second row seat middle seat is also lacking in headroom -- the mechanism for the falcon wing doors looks to take up significant headroom. I thought it was significant that during the test rides, nobody was allowed to sit in the rear seats. Likewise, nobody was allowed to sit in the second row middle seat.

Maybe when I get a chance to view the car in depth, I'll change my tune. Right now, the falcon wing doors and the compromises in design that resulted from their inclusion, have killed this car.

Fail.

The model X is not made for 7 large adults. So what ? It is not made to be bought by everyone out there. It was made to appeal to families with children first, and it looks perfect for them, especially since it is the safest car on sale today.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the part about air filter is mostly targeted at the Chinese market which hasn't been ordering Tesla cars as much as predicted. I get the feeling if someone living there would be extremely interested by not decreasing their life expectancy ;)

My thought exactly. I talked to many Chinese tourists over the years, and many are very concerned about air pollution (and food pollution). I guess that many Chinese businessmen will have to buy one for the wife and children...and themselves too, since I read an article about rich and powerful people in Beijing having expensive air filters in their offices. Also, Chinese people suffering from the sudden wealth syndrome will love to show off the falcon doors.

Unfortunate that the car wont work out for you. I hope you get the car you like.

I cant believe no one has mentioned that the doors close flush with no gap! This was like every 3rd post on the form for the last 6 months :)

I liked the reveal, thought it highlighted the car well (which is what the event was suppose to do... not address concerns about cup holders)

Unfortunately, this is nearly impossible even if they want to.
The Falcon Wing door demands a totally different frame and structure than a normal door that you are basically requesting a different car. Same for the panoramic windshield.

You can make Hi-Fi or electronics/software an option, but not something which requires an alteration to the chassis or body structure.

Sorry that you don't like these features, but I certainly do. These are the things that make Model X unique, and these features alone would sell many cars.

Why not? Nearly all car manufacturers redesign their cars when switching from coupe to convertible. For example, look at the gullwing doors on the Mercedes SLS, when they made the convertible version they switched to regular doors. So it's definitely feasible to add regular doors to the model X.

Why not? Nearly all car manufacturers redesign their cars when switching from coupe to convertible. For example, look at the gullwing doors on the Mercedes SLS, when they made the convertible version they switched to regular doors. So it's definitely feasible to add regular doors to the model X.

That's exactly what I said - basically they have to design and make two different cars - something unreasonable to expect from Tesla during the launch of a brand new car.
In future, they may release variants if they have the budget or demand.

Lots of missing details. When will first signatures be delivered? What kind of convenience power outlets does the car have? Is back seat venting better than Model S? Is there a luggage well behind the third row seats?

The first 6 were delivered during the event. Yes, the vents in the 2nd row are very strong. Yes, there is a large luggage well behind the 3rd row. The cover you see opens just like the model S to reveal a deep additional storage area.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pcture of the 6 passenger configuration with a center console in the 2nd row.

image.jpeg

The first 6 were delivered during the event. Yes, the vents in the 2nd row are very strong. Yes, there is a large luggage well behind the 3rd row. The cover you see opens just like the model S to reveal a deep additional storage area.

View attachment 96064View attachment 96065View attachment 96066

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pcture of the 6 passenger configuration with a center console in the 2nd row.

View attachment 96069
Frunk looks much smaller than I would have thought... 6seat option looks nice!