Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Model X purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at upgrading to a Model X, I want to get the plaid but I just found out second row doesn't fold in the 6 seater configuration. The reason for the upgrade is due to my animal outgrowing the model 3 rear seat area.

I have a 140 pound German Shepherd and he is supposed to be around 175 pounds fully grown (he is only 14 months)

Considering this I was looking at the X instead of the S (I would have to remove the rear seats BUT I could get a plaid model s) but I would require to get a base with a 5 or 7 seater configuration.

May I ask if anyone has had an experience with these vehicles that could give an input. I was lucky enough to get a loaner model X base with 6 seat configuration right now when my model 3 performance is in the service.

Note: At the moment it seems I may remove the rear seats in the Model 3 to give me more time to think about this deeply.

Do 175 lb German Shepherds not sit on car seats? I am not understanding the need to have back seats removed or folded down. A 175 lb person could easily sit in the 2nd row of a 6 seater, so I would expect that is also possible for a dog. I am not sure, tho, that the acceleration of a Plaid goes well with animal travel. Is a 5 or 7 seater long range being considered? I would think the bench seat would be best for a dog.

Apologies I did not give enough info

The seat could 100% support his weight but given he is a dog there is a high likelihood of high damaging a seat like that if he sits in it, currently he stands on the entire rear seat row of the model 3. With a 5 or 7 seat configuration I would put all the seats down for him to either stand or lay down fully.

Removing rear row of model S was to allow him ti stand fully grown

Note: only drive the dog in chill mode, but I have to drive the car the rest of the time but must consider his transportation as well

I’ve used my 5 seater both ways, seat up and down for my dogs, it’s very versatile. Lately mostly with the seat up and a nice seat protector. They probably prefer laying on their beds with the seat flat but they load easier with the seat up, and I can keep my gear accessible behind the seat.

I was researching if removing the 2 seats in the 6 seater configuration

He is too tall to stand over the third row when it's folded he could only use the area back there to lay, to stand I must remove the second row or fold it

It's not that the dog hates the 6 seater, he literally is too large to walk around them

I’ve used my 5 seater both ways, seat up and down for my dogs, it’s very versatile. Lately mostly with the seat up and a nice seat protector. They probably prefer laying on their beds with the seat flat but they load easier with the seat up, and I can keep my gear accessible behind the seat.
Yea he would only fit if the second row was down, but his height clearance still is pretty bad in that situation

Spoke sith my service manager he says as long as the seats(being removed) aren't related to any issue I bring in then warranty still covers the vehicle

But forgot to ask if the X 2 non foldable seats were removable, 3/S are easily apparently

You dog with hate the sic seater? get the 5 or 7 and give ur baby the bench seat. Also the middle row six seats have no arm rests and are not that comfy for adults on long trips. They look cool but are not.
Human in the image is 5 10. For reference for size. This is my concern for the height clearance is he was to stand. I believe the 5 would be fine though but seeing images of the 6 seater with the 2nd row removed. Is this something tesla can do or that is custom/warranty breaking

I'd rather not have to keep cleaning the hair off the ceiling of the vehicle if I can avoid it xD

Attachments

• 20231112_174851.jpg
    20231112_174851.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 58
As I understand it, the 3rd row gets locked in this scenario(would keep it locked in up position), and I would have to take it to tesla to reconfigure the vehicle for the airbag warnings that appear as there are airbags in the seats themselves apparently.

Does anyone know if this information is good. I can only find information from this forum relating to this for real

As I understand it, the 3rd row gets locked in this scenario(would keep it locked in up position), and I would have to take it to tesla to reconfigure the vehicle for the airbag warnings that appear as there are airbags in the seats themselves apparently.

Does anyone know if this information is good. I can only find information from this forum relating to this for real
Here is the image I was referring to just in case

Attachments

• IMG_3072.JPG
    IMG_3072.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 40
From the looks of it, although a pain in the ass it seems removing the 2nd row non foldable in a model X plaid would work, to avoid possible warnings (and potentially allow seats to go up and down in the 3rd row) one could remove the seats yet leave the boards plugged in (still have to speak with tesla to confirm this as they seem open to seat removal in all other models I have ask about [3P/SP])

So the idea I have is to go with a custom move, purchase a model x plaid, remove the 3nd row manually, leave the boards plugged in, place a carpet over the entire area with a buffer as to prevent damage to the boards

This could result in this image here I posted above.

I'll use this as a documentation string for others who are interested.

I'll keep you guys posted but still have to sell my M3P and find a MXP to grab

autoMy Doberman (90 lbs) fits between the captain's chairs in the back. Or in front of the 2nd-row captain chairs. The auto bird doors make it easy for the canines to get in and out. Also, have a min pin that fits everywhere, lol.
Might be a good temp solution but I don't think the 3rd row plus trunk is large enough xD I'll have to test with the loaner then clean it up after

That is one serious German Shepherd! The breed standard lists 90 pounds as the maximum weight. I didn't realize they got that big.
Our 95 pound Doberman loves our S with the back seat down with Weather Tech mats for traction.