Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering Model X purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, remember that Tesla measures all it's "performance" version with rolling start. So your M3P is 3.1sec with rolling start. The X is 3.5sec with rolling start.

M3P: 0-60 3.1 (rollout subtracted), 11.6@115mph
MX: 0-60 3.5 (rollout subtracted), 11.3@123mph

Your can see what is happening. Tesla limited 0-30 in software. But above 30 it is pulling so hard that it catches up and beats the M3P. Also check out the trap speed 123mph v. M3P at only 115mph.
Ah I did not know that in regards to them testing with a rolling start

My Lab, Chewy, loves riding in the way back section of my X. I remove the sub trunk cover and he has more l
eg room. You could also fold down the rear seat and give him some room to roam. Could also remove the way back sub trunk cover, but he has enough room without than and seems pretty calm back there.
Right now you can purchase a Long Range 5 seater for $79,950 and qualify for the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit. Makes it a great deal.
For some reason, my dogs have always traveled less stresfully in the back of my Teslas than in my ICE Suvs. Not sure the reason, but the electric drive somehow quiets them.
I put a packing blanket back there to protect everything and control a bit the hair shedding issue. I fold that blanket out over the rear threshold to keep him from scratching the plastic cover.
Of course, a Mini Van would be even better, but for some strange reason I prefer to drive the Tesla :)

Reactions: CircuitBreaker
That is a tiny SUV and certainly would not work for you.

Also real life v. marketing specs are not the same. With ICE cars, getting those numbers is very difficult. You need perfect road conditions with perfect launch.

Real life is very different. I have read about how people have taken out C8 vettes and Porsches, etc so easily in their non-plaid S. In a Tesla, you just nail it and get best results every time.

Race from any moving speed and it's no comparison. By the time ICE spools up, gets in the power band, downshifts, the Tesla is already 10 car lengths ahead. It's already over.
In a fair setup I would wait for the ICE to prepare and get in the proper RPM range

But I do see your point there

Have you looked at the new Lucid Gravity? Or the Cybertruck?

Maybe just get a big ICE SUV like a Suburban and then complement that with a Model S Plaid since you seem like you want a LOT of speed :)
Not a huge fan of lucid, but I'll have to check the gravity

The cyber truck is the other I have considered but they are not really available the same way

You have really good data sir I must say

My Lab, Chewy, loves riding in the way back section of my X. I remove the sub trunk cover and he has more l
eg room. You could also fold down the rear seat and give him some room to roam. Could also remove the way back sub trunk cover, but he has enough room without than and seems pretty calm back there.
Right now you can purchase a Long Range 5 seater for $79,950 and qualify for the $7,500 Fed Tax Credit. Makes it a great deal.
For some reason, my dogs have always traveled less stresfully in the back of my Teslas than in my ICE Suvs. Not sure the reason, but the electric drive somehow quiets them.
I put a packing blanket back there to protect everything and control a bit the hair shedding issue. I fold that blanket out over the rear threshold to keep him from scratching the plastic cover.
Of course, a Mini Van would be even better, but for some strange reason I prefer to drive the Tesla :)
Alot of good info here I appreciate it,

Yea if I went with X base (or long range or standard I haven't a clue how they are designating trims anymore for the S/X )

I'd go for 7 seater and place it all down(might as well have the 3rd row if I'm not going plaid)

Still that juicy performance is sixk

Yea now you sound like my father xD its a solid suggestion

I wish he could fit in a plaid S with the seats removed completely (that is a thought right there xD)
I was in the same boat as you. I would have gone Plaid X but the 6 seater is terrible for anyone with dogs. It's also terrible for actually hauling large items.

I settled on the 7 seater, Long Range X. It has a ton of versatility. Yes do I look at Plaids when I see them but I know owning the Plaid 6 seater would have driven me nuts when I could not use such a large vehicle well.

The one thing that still makes me feel good is my X is still faster than any ICE SUV. A guy down the street has the Urus and it's bad ass but I know my X would beat it in a 1/4 mile race! That and complete fold flat makes for a very large cargo area. The falcon doors provide amazing access too. My wife loves the X and thinks it's super fast and it is ;)

I was in the same boat as you. I would have gone Plaid X but the 6 seater is terrible for anyone with dogs. It's also terrible for actually hauling large items.

I settled on the 7 seater, Long Range X. It has a ton of versatility. Yes do I look at Plaids when I see them but I know owning the Plaid 6 seater would have driven me nuts when I could not use such a large vehicle well.

The one thing that still makes me feel good is my X is still faster than any ICE SUV. A guy down the street has the Urus and it's bad ass but I know my X would beat it in a 1/4 mile race! That and complete fold flat makes for a very large cargo area. The falcon doors provide amazing access too. My wife loves the X and thinks it's super fast and it is ;)
Yea you state very solid arguments, although I'm my area there are as many plaids as there are standard Xs xD

The falcon doors are also something that sold me but may I ask, have you been into service much in regards to thise doors?

What is the warranty like that covers that item (I assume standard plus extended?)

Thank you for your time and info, given your experience and same ballpark as me it's invaluable that you chimed in!

Yea you state very solid arguments, although I'm my area there are as many plaids as there are standard Xs xD

The falcon doors are also something that sold me but may I ask, have you been into service much in regards to thise doors?

What is the warranty like that covers that item (I assume standard plus extended?)
No problem with my falcon doors. I think they are fairly solid. They've been doing falcon doors since the X came out. Sometimes they don't function as expected like they wont open all the way and you have to hit the button to make them do that. But you get used to it. They provide cover when it's raining and access is amazing.

Yeah I hear ya, I live in an area where no one even looks at a Porsche, it's a normal car. As for the X, if you want a 6 seater there is no reason not to get the plaid at that point. There is really not much of a price difference when you option out the 6 seater on the long range X. Seems to be popular with parents with kids who are trying not to buy a minivan. Sad they made the plaid for people with kids and didn't think about the rest of us. And that is the demographic least likely to use 1000hp LOL.

I'm also hoping they will do an acceleration boost at some point on the standard/long range X and S. Unlock the 0-30, drop another 1/2 sec, perhaps bump from 670hp to 750hp. That would be sweet. They did that for the Y. Who knows they may just do it. It's certainly doable and probably easy money.

I think when they came out with the "long range" versions initially the performance was getting a bit too close to the plaid that they had to reduce it using software. After all if the plaid did 0-60 in 2.5 sec, and the long range did it in 3.0sec, it sounds too close on paper. They would have prob lost more plaid sales.

Also note that the X standard/long range does indeed have the same 670 HP as the previous "performance" version of the X which did 0-60 in 2.9 sec. So you know it's possible :)

No problem with my falcon doors. I think they are fairly solid. They've been doing falcon doors since the X came out. Sometimes they don't function as expected like they wont open all the way and you have to hit the button to make them do that. But you get used to it. They provide cover when it's raining and access is amazing.

Yeah I hear ya, I live in an area where no one even looks at a Porsche, it's a normal car. As for the X, if you want a 6 seater there is no reason not to get the plaid at that point. There is really not much of a price difference when you option out the 6 seater on the long range X. Seems to be popular with parents with kids who are trying not to buy a minivan. Sad they made the plaid for people with kids and didn't think about the rest of us. And that is the demographic least likely to use 1000hp LOL.
Yea that is a weird one, I wonder why the decided that

Is there any info on that choice or its left to the ether

I'm also hoping they will do an acceleration boost at some point on the standard/long range X and S. Unlock the 0-30, drop another 1/2 sec, perhaps bump from 670hp to 750hp. That would be sweet. They did that for the Y. Who knows they may just do it. It's certainly doable and probably easy money.

I think when they came out with the "long range" versions initially the performance was getting a bit too close to the plaid that they had to reduce it using software. After all if the plaid did 0-60 in 2.5 sec, and the long range did it in 3.0sec, it sounds too close on paper. They would have prob lost more plaid sales.

Also note that the X standard/long range does indeed have the same 670 HP as the previous "performance" version of the X which did 0-60 in 2.9 sec. So you know it's possible :)
So your saying it's possible to hack it to a 2.9 setting xD

How could the community start a petition for this? I'm sure the 6 seater already ****ed their sales anyway.

Wait , does the performance model come in 5/7 seater option

May go with that used, I assume this is the 2021 chassis?

Do you know chassis names? I only know of the palladium chassis for the S

Get the 5 Seater. Keep the second row seat backs up! Remove the false floor of the trunk to get more height in back. You might want to construct a new false floor cover for the sub trunk space to make it level.

You really should keep the dog in a pen in the back, for safety. With the configuration that I just described, you could get a pretty big pen.

Get the 5 Seater. Keep the second row seat backs up! Remove the false floor of the trunk to get more height in back. You might want to construct a new false floor cover for the sub trunk space to make it level.
The existing top cover from the five passenger, also fits the sub-trunk opening perfectly. It can be used on either level.