Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously, just like news articles and other things, I appreciate when people at least share a paragraph. Doesn't have to be the whole thing, but enough to give a flavor.
Verdict
But all that aside, I’m convinced that the Model X is going to be a superb car and with the newly released autopilot capabilities the car would be great for long distance traveling. A must have car for all fans!
Grr (need 3 characters plus the quote).

Excellent review of the event. Too long to be posted here in total. Not too difficult to click on the link. Even a 65 year old figured out how to do it!

No one said it was difficult, but I'm glad that you know how to follow a link. :).

I think you missed my point. It's just nice when people give a flavor of what's out at the link. I asked for a paragraph to give a feel for what it was about -- nothing about the whole thing being posted here. It's good forum etiquette.

Plus (not implying the OP falls under this), blindly following links ... well. Your computer, your data, your call.

- - - Updated - - -

I could maybe start a new thread on it and paste the entire article there?

Just a paragraph is nice, satheesh. It's like when we post news articles, usually the poster will pick out a paragraph or quote that is representative of the article.

I like quotes over links, as the pages and contents of links sometimes disappear and I don't have search the articles for the point being made. It also helps for future reference and searching this forum.

I think you missed my point. It's just nice when people give a flavor of what's out at the link. I asked for a paragraph to give a feel for what it was about -- nothing about the whole thing being posted here. It's good forum etiquette.

It's good overall etiquette. I do this when I share article links via email to trusted friends and family. Usually the selected paragraph is something of interest to the targeted person - it's what made me think of them, so I copy, paste that, then put the link to the whole article underneath.

I was more impressed that Bonnie took a private jet there than the event it's self.

We all have our own way of contributing to save the planet....

Really? Is that snark necessary? I was offered a seat on a jet already heading that way. No need for being rude, no matter how much passive-aggressive you wrap around it.

@Sateesh - given that you have seen the car up close and (presumably) have experience with snow - how will snow slide off of the top of the gull wing doors if you open them without completely clearing the snow? Is there a danger of getting snow sliding down into the car?

@Sateesh - given that you have seen the car up close and (presumably) have experience with snow - how will snow slide off of the top of the gull wing doors if you open them without completely clearing the snow? Is there a danger of getting snow sliding down into the car?

Yes, most definitely have a lot experience with snow. I guess there could be some snow sliding down on each side and maybe a little from the top. But it's quite thick and strong in it's construction. So I don't think it will be a problem to be honest. Guess time will show, but it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Attachments

• IMG_20150930_084831.jpg
    IMG_20150930_084831.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 105
Seems very similar to a hatch back door. There appears to be a gully for the rain and/or limited snow to slide into and around the opening. If there is too much snow, then the gully will fill up quicker than it can dispense the snow and you're going to get snow inside. Of course, that's a mental exercise. Can't wait to get practical experience. I hope to have one before March 2016 so I can test this myself. :)

Seems very similar to a hatch back door. There appears to be a gully for the rain and/or limited snow to slide into and around the opening. If there is too much snow, then the gully will fill up quicker than it can dispense the snow and you're going to get snow inside. Of course, that's a mental exercise. Can't wait to get practical experience. I hope to have one before March 2016 so I can test this myself. :)
The difference is the two opposing doors. As someone mentioned here - if you open both doors without clearing the snow you may well give your MX a Snowhawk.

edit - My concern here relates to the fact that in some instances Tesla's designers show a lack of experience with winter conditions. The radar sensor under the front nose cone is indented and immediately fills up with slush when there are slushy conditions on the road. And early MS owners in Canada talk about insufficient window defrosting that has since been corrected.

The difference is the two opposing doors. As someone mentioned here - if you open both doors without clearing the snow you may well give your MX a Snowhawk.

edit - My concern here relates to the fact that in some instances Tesla's designers show a lack of experience with winter conditions. The radar sensor under the front nose cone is indented and immediately fills up with slush when there are slushy conditions on the road. And early MS owners in Canada talk about insufficient window defrosting that has since been corrected.

At least Tesla didn't put the charge port up front with caps to manually remove like Audi did on their A3 plug-in hybrid. That would be a terrible nuisance in winter. My car front is often caked in winter slush and ice. You would think a company like Audi would know better.

audi-a3_100473135_m.jpg

Last edited:
That is totally silly. One of the reasons that I don't use my frunk is that it gets dirty quickly and there is no automated opening and closing.

The slush issue is going to become much more of an issue over the next few months as people get used to using Autopilot and will find that it won't work due to sensors being blocked.

Both doors have their own independent "gullys" to handle rain and some snow, but I do agree that with enough snow, you can make a pretty cool looking "snow hawk". All the kids will want them. ;-)

That's the problem with designers in California - they have little experience with colder climates. It's hard to think up every conceivable situation when designing new features and that's why the first few iterations always need tweaking as they fix shortcomings. I was hoping that the first few thousand Model-Xs would have far fewer short-comings, but that may be difficult with so many new and untested changes.

That's the problem with designers in California - they have little experience with colder climates.

This is painting with a pretty broad brush. Are you assuming these California designers are native born and haven't traveled outside of the coastal area in which they live? I don't know the engineering design demographics, but I'd be willing to bet they are multinational, multistate, and at a minimum, have traveled a few times.

This is painting with a pretty broad brush. Are you assuming these California designers are native born and haven't traveled outside of the coastal area in which they live? I don't know the engineering design demographics, but I'd be willing to bet they are multinational, multistate, and at a minimum, have traveled a few times.

No disrespect intended, just trying to convey that unless you deal with these issues on a daily basis, you don't necessarily think about it in the design process. Even if some of these designers grew up in cold environments, unless they've been "living" it on a daily basis (winter-time of course) and getting annoyed by poor design choices, they won't think about designing it into their products.

Auto designers typically fix this stuff early on and then those choices are inherited for the next model year(s). When you're starting from scratch, there is a lot to get right the first time and there are too many variables to get it 100% right on the first attempt. I'm sure even cold-hardened designers would still miss things when designing from scratch. That's why many people avoid buying a newly designed (model year) vehicle.

Full disclosure: I'm not a auto-designer, but I play one on the internet.

Last edited:
Fog, snow, sand storms, it all exists in CA in various places. All three conditions are dangerous for driving. Only if sensors are in the roadbed and the cars talk to each other will any type of Autopilot be safe in those conditions. We drove without Autopilot for decades, we should continue to drive safely or avoid a drive when conditions are not advisable for driving.