Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Please help: frunk flew open on highway, bent hood, and smashed windshield. Tesla refusing to repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That damn button in the frunk is the ONLY WAY that the latch can be released with the car in gear. I installed an auto-opener power frunk and the second drive after installation, the frunk opened on me in traffic. Luckily I was only at 20mph and the cylinders held - but that thing snapped RIGHT OPEN and the only visibility I had was the little gap at the bottom.

I eventually figured out that a coiled hose in the frunk must have pressed that stupid button and released the latch. A flat cover with two zip ties as a "hinge" and now the only way to get to that button is intentionally - you have to lift the cover to push it. They should have come from the factory with a simple flip cover over that button!

Reactions: FastEddieB
That damn button in the frunk is the ONLY WAY that the latch can be released with the car in gear. I installed an auto-opener power frunk and the second drive after installation, the frunk opened on me in traffic. Luckily I was only at 20mph and the cylinders held - but that thing snapped RIGHT OPEN and the only visibility I had was the little gap at the bottom.

I eventually figured out that a coiled hose in the frunk must have pressed that stupid button and released the latch. A flat cover with two zip ties as a "hinge" and now the only way to get to that button is intentionally - you have to lift the cover to push it. They should have come from the factory with a simple flip cover over that button!
According to your signature, your newest vehicle is a 2016 X. Is that still accurate? I mean, I have a 2017 X and I don't recall ever seeing or reading about this button, and I read the entire manual when I get a vehicle.

I covered the button with the large round top off an used Walgreens prescription bottle. Like the one in the photo below. It snaps right over the square protection shield and stays put with no fasteners needed.
Prescription Bottle Photo.jpg

Reactions: davenlei
According to your signature, your newest vehicle is a 2016 X. Is that still accurate? I mean, I have a 2017 X and I don't recall ever seeing or reading about this button, and I read the entire manual when I get a vehicle.
Correct, I actually have two of them now, both 2016 and about 2 months apart in build date. The button is under the front lip of the frunk, facing the back of the car / back of the frunk area. It's impossible to see unless you lean way over and look toward your navel.

I don't know that mine would be sized for that medicine cover (I like that idea!) but something needs to be done. This actually reminds me that I need to check my sister's X (the most recent purchase) b/c I haven't covered that button on hers.

ALL of them should have this though, I believe it is a federal safety requirement now for all vehicles in case of child entrapment.

... I believe it is a federal safety requirement now for all vehicles in case of child entrapment.
Pretty sure you are correct. Same reason they require one of those bright trunk release handles since 2001. Since Frunk = Front Trunk it applies. Here is what ChatGPT/Copilot says about the requirement:

In the United States, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) established a crucial safety standard known as Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 401. This standard mandates that all new passenger cars with trunks must be equipped with an interior trunk release mechanism. Here are the key details:

1. Effective Date: This requirement came into effect on September 1, 20011.
  2. Purpose: The primary goal is to prevent tragic incidents where individuals, especially children, become inadvertently trapped inside a car trunk.
  3. Release Mechanism: Each passenger car with a trunk compartment must have an automatic or manual release mechanism located inside the trunk. This mechanism allows someone trapped in the trunk to unlatch and open the trunk lid from within the compartment.
The impetus for this safety standard arose from a series of unfortunate incidents. In the summer of 1998, eleven children lost their lives after accidentally locking themselves inside car trunks. The new standard aims to provide a chance for trapped individuals to escape and survive such situations.

I installed an auto-opener power frunk and the second drive after installation, the frunk opened on me in traffic. Luckily I was only at 20mph and the cylinders held - but that thing snapped RIGHT OPEN and the only visibility I had was the little gap at the bottom.
same. Extremely dangerous situation that I’d recommend anyone thinking of getting these automatic frunk openers it’s not worth the convenience.

• Disagree
Reactions: TespaceX

I just went and looked in the frunk of our 2023 MXLR and the button is there, slightly recessed. I didn't realize it could pop the hood even while driving, I had that frunk packed pretty tightly for a recent road trip. Glad nothing pushed that button!

20240329_145022.jpg

isn’t this a big safety issue. Cars from 2017 shouldn’t be expected to have the hood fly open abruptly and violently while driving on the highway. The impact was so forceful and I lost total visibility in the front. I could have easily swerved into oncoming traffic.
Although this is no help with the other concerns, Doesn't your insurance include glass replacement with a deductible of some sort?

I was nervous about all the glass on the Model Y, so made sure the insurance covered it minus a deductible.

same. Extremely dangerous situation that I’d recommend anyone thinking of getting these automatic frunk openers it’s not worth the convenience.
Except here's the issue - the problem wasn't the automatic cylinders! It was the SAFETY BUTTON that has NO SAFETY of its own from cargo touching it!

It is a simple miracle that with the amount of items I typically am carrying in the frunk for work, that something heavy and pointy enough didn't touch that already. ANY contact with that button would pop BOTH latches no matter what, so the fail here was not the EVOffer or Hansshow setup. I'd be first in line to blame a bad device if that was the cause - but this case, it isn't.

Reactions: TespaceX
Since it’s light up, I’d cut a piece of clear acrylic or plexiglass and tape at the top to form a hinge.

But it’s probably required to not be covered for ease of access.
I don't believe there is a requirement for it to be uncovered. A clear lid would be perfect, and I'd be surprised if someone like Toyota doesn't already have that on theirs. They seem to have a department that thinks up safety stuff like that....

Although MOST brands haven't sorted out that daytime running lights and a light-up dashboard doesn't tell their idiot owners AT NIGHT that they have no tail lights! It is an epidemic, mostly Asian car brands but I've seen Ford with this issue too. The car makers should make that a mandatory choice: Either ALL the lights are on all the time... Or it has a light sensor and turns them on at night automatically. I've had or seen nearly a dozen close calls b/c of that stupidity.

Except here's the issue - the problem wasn't the automatic cylinders! It was the SAFETY BUTTON that has NO SAFETY of its own from cargo touching it!

It is a simple miracle that with the amount of items I typically am carrying in the frunk for work, that something heavy and pointy enough didn't touch that already. ANY contact with that button would pop BOTH latches no matter what, so the fail here was not the EVOffer or Hansshow setup. I'd be first in line to blame a bad device if that was the cause - but this case, it isn't.
Isn't the point for it to be obvious and easily accessible by a child or other person? That is why it is lit. Putting a guard may prevent a 4-year-old from pushing the brightly lit button. I am pretty sure the ones in most car's trunk at just dangling there without a guard.

Isn't the point for it to be obvious and easily accessible by a child or other person? That is why it is lit. Putting a guard may prevent a 4-year-old from pushing the brightly lit button. I am pretty sure the ones in most car's trunk at just dangling there without a guard.
Yea. But if something can hit it and it opens, that’s pretty bad on a front trunk.

Maybe a small-ish hole in the middle of the plastic cover. If finger can’t make it to button, gives a handle to lift.

I just went and looked in the frunk of our 2023 MXLR and the button is there, slightly recessed. I didn't realize it could pop the hood even while driving, I had that frunk packed pretty tightly for a recent road trip. Glad nothing pushed that button!
Yours is nicer than mine, you have at least a recessed button and that large plastic shield might help keep detritus away from the button. Mine in the older X is much more exposed, just a flat surface around the button for an inch or so (I'll try to get a picture tomorrow) and a giant cavity where that loop storage isn't.... Just empty space. Clearly they changed the design. My older S cars didn't even have the button at all.