Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the deal with Tesla's lag on auto frunk capabilities?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my first Tesla (Model III) a few days ago. It comes from the factory with an auto frunk open feature, which, come to find out, is apparently a new feature that was just recently added (from the factory and barring aftermarket options). When I found this out, I was astounded; Tesla the brand that stole the reputation for future car by storm... had a manual open and close frunk till the year 2023???

But, even still, I am now astounded that the frunk auto opens and yet it does not auto close. The trunk auto opens and auto closes. Most other vehicles in its class and reputation have auto opening and closing frunks and trunks. It seems so weird to me that Tesla opted to go out of their way to add an auto opening frunk from the factory and yet purposely chose to neglect an auto close feature. Wat??? So, once I pull my stuff out of the frunk and my hands are full, Tesla expects me to manually pull down the frunk and close it with two hands (or else risk damaging the hood structure and paint). I love my new Tesla overall, but this is definitely an eye roll at Tesla moment for me.

Does anyone else share my sentiments or am I just being nitpicky?

I have no idea what you are talking about, in relation to an "auto frunk open feature from the factory". You can open it from the app, or from the screen in the car, but thats not new, its been that way since 2018. I must have missed that it was added as a feature from the factory?

Most other vehicles in its class and reputation have auto opening and closing frunks

This is new to me, can you point out a few of these that have Front trunks that automatically open and close from the factory?

I just got my first Tesla (Model III) a few days ago. It comes from the factory with an auto frunk open feature, which, come to find out, is apparently a new feature that was just recently added (from the factory and barring aftermarket options). When I found this out, I was astounded; Tesla the brand that stole the reputation for future car by storm... had a manual open and close frunk till the year 2023???

But, even still, I am now astounded that the frunk auto opens and yet it does not auto close. The trunk auto opens and auto closes. Most other vehicles in its class and reputation have auto opening and closing frunks and trunks. It seems so weird to me that Tesla opted to go out of their way to add an auto opening frunk from the factory and yet purposely chose to neglect an auto close feature. Wat??? So, once I pull my stuff out of the frunk and my hands are full, Tesla expects me to manually pull down the frunk and close it with two hands (or else risk damaging the hood structure and paint). I love my new Tesla overall, but this is definitely an eye roll at Tesla moment for me.

Does anyone else share my sentiments or am I just being nitpicky?
Oh shoot, I blundered this post and Tesla Motors Club severely limits editing posts (I am not able to). The auto open feature doesn't actually even lift the frunk afaik. Trying to recall now and it is blurry for a two-day owner. My apologies if I made people scratch their heads on this oversight in my post. 😅

I have no idea what you are talking about, in relation to an "auto frunk open feature from the factory". You can open it from the app, or from the screen in the car, but thats not new, its been that way since 2018. I must have missed that it was added as a feature from the factory?

This is new to me, can you point out a few of these that have Front trunks that automatically open and close from the factory?
This is what I read online re other Tesla frunk complaints and not based upon my personal research. But, a cursory search revealed the following electric frunk opening brands: Ford, GMC, Chevy, Rivivan, Porsche, and I think maybe Lucid?

Okay, but, to play devil's advocate, don't none of the Tesla models have an auto frunk option? Also, I specifically read that Porsche does.

My original point is that, more and more, car makers are going to trunk auto open/close. Tesla has an innovator reputation, and yet, they are quickly falling behind even the average on this one.

Okay, but, to play devil's advocate, don't none of the Tesla models have an auto frunk option? Also, I specifically read that Porsche does.

My original point is that, more and more, car makers are going to trunk auto open/close. Tesla has an innovator reputation, and yet, they are quickly falling behind even the average on this one.
Tesla does not innovate on everything and does not always add all the bells and whistles that others do. Some of it might be to keep costs down, some because they don't think the feature is needed. There might be other reasons.

The whole point of Model 3 was to be a basic car that was quick and cheap to build. I like that it had manual frunk and trunk, and manual door handles. I don't need any of the fancy stuff that may be more likely to malfunction, make the car cost more, and that I've never had in my life and don't think I need. Obviously that's just my opinion.

I get into my frunk about 3 times a year. I suspect you’ll find this is true for you as well after a period of ownership.

Count me among the pleased to not have to pay extra for a feature I'd find rather useless and something else to inevitably break.

It makes sense to me for something like the F150 Lightning where it’s big enough to actually use and might be the only lockable exterior storage you have… but the Model 3 frunk is useless for day to day stuff. I keep my mobile charger, compressor, plug kit, and a few rags in there. Thats about all there’s room for.

Last edited:
Honestly the frunk in most EVs is more of a novelty than anything, even though everyone seems to make a huge deal about frunks for some reason. Just use it to store emergency stuff or stuff rarely used and forget about it. I have a portable tire compressor, my mobile connector, and the jacking pucks in there and it’s full.

If you have anything more than a bag or two of something, the actual trunk would be a much better place. If you have just a single bag or two it’s just easier to toss it in the back seat or front passenger seat/footwell.

The ones where the frunk is actually useful like the F150 Lightning are more likely to have it power operated. You can actually fit a full grocery haul or small Costco run in the frunk.

I keep the frunk empty for smelly takeout. Only used it a dozen times or so in 3 years.

Count me among those that wouldn't want the extra cost of an auto frunk.

I use mine for Take out whenever I go get it, actually. Since my 2018 Model 3 still has clips in the frunk that hold bags, it makes it very convenient. I keep that stuff that @ucmndd keeps in their frunk, in my subtrunk (mobile charger, plug kit, rags) and trunk side cubbies (portable air compressor).

Its not that hard to close the frunk, though. Even though I use it all the time, I have never once in 5 years "walked up to it with hands full to put things in it" nor had enough things in it to "have hands full of stuff from the frunk", so for me both of those are a non issue.

I wouldnt complain if it was powered from the factory, but I also have not (and will not) be buying anything to make it powered, either. A powered trunk is a bigger deal, to me. I wish my trunk were powered, but on 2018 Model 3s it isnt. They dont offer the factory retrofit for 2018s either.

The frunk though, usage is really a non issue if someone wants to use it, and making it powered wouldnt make it that much easier to use, it would just make people less scared to close it.

@android04 You have a good point about the Model 3 being the budget model and, tbh, for how much I paid for it, I am totally blown away by how much punch it packs in features and just all around as a car. Also, you and @MP3Mike are correct, the Taycan apparently does not have an auto frunk; the article I read was misleading.

@ucmndd @E90alex @jjrandorin I get that many people don't utilize the frunk much, but apparently many do as well. I plan to use my frunk almost daily to store valuables due to my life and uses. It is the only space of the car that is reasonably protected from a smash and grab. I have read on this forum that many others also utilize it for the same purpose. That seems to be a huge plus for others and I know that, for me, a car surrounded by glass windows having a secure space like that is paramount. The frunk is actually so used that multiple aftermarket options exist for a powered frunk (which apparently have issues and are often ill advised). Also, I have read that those who did install that power option found themselves using the frunk a lot more. Perhaps use of the frunk is cause and effect associated with its inconvenience to open it?

@father_of_6 fair point on the price hike. I would be inclined to agree. Though, perhaps a good compromise and budget-friendly design feature would be a frunk that at-least auto-rises after being unlatched/pushed up. I know that is a pretty standard feature on even the most budget-friendly cars out there (like my Prius' rear hatch) and would make life easier for frunkers. I would imagine that it would simply involve adding slightly stronger pneumatic lifts and accounting for the stresses in the body design.

@jjrandorin and yeah, if I have to choose, a powered auto trunk is way more important than a powered auto frunk.

@father_of_6 @jjrandorin that takeout idea is pretty clever! I will def remember that. Too bad it would be so inconvenient for drive-through. :(