Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla model 3 frunk w/out internal or external battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexus

Sep 12, 2019
NYC
hello world ;-)

2018 Tesla Model 3 here..

a couple of days ago I open the frunk of my car to put in some stuff, to learn that frunk doesn't want to close anymore... after which i was able to lightly push part inside and my trunk closed no issue.. so i went home happy))

now i tried to open it again, but frunk won't open anymore.. i can hear the sound of motor moving, but frunk stays closed.. i tried to push it while the moving happens, but that did not help me either..

any ideas how to open the frunk now? i believe if i open and lubricate (wd40) it'll be back to working?

how does one opens a frunk w/out app _and_ 12v battery (internal or external)? or what should I do?

i already filed for service and tesla happily present a ~$400 estimate :mad: tesla seem to think it's frunk actuator secondary release and frunk actuator primary release (both are on my estimate, but they said they'll only charge for broken one, however in my opinion it just needs drop of wd40 w/out ~$400)

please advise

When my 2018 LR RWD car was looked at by mobile service for the front upper control arm re-seal, the invoice mentioned a "readjust hood latch" action item. The Tesla Service Bulletin about it is here:

Note that this is supposed to affect vehicles built between approximately May 26, 2018 and September 19, 2018. I'm not sure how you would open the frunk lid if it's stuck but if you could convince Tesla Service that this problem is due to the item(s) mention in the service bulletin, I think that you would have grounds for the fix to be free.

Reactions: dusty22
I'll mention that to Tesla over support, let's see what they'll say..

Meanwhile I've got used actuator from eBay, and I want to open my frunk/hood already)

When I tried to open with the app, it doesn't even pop once which tells me that this is most likely primary actuator failure, but other than taking wheel off, I still can't find any info how to get to the cable once the wheel is off..

I'll mention that to Tesla over support, let's see what they'll say..

Meanwhile I've got used actuator from eBay, and I want to open my frunk/hood already)

When I tried to open with the app, it doesn't even pop once which tells me that this is most likely primary actuator failure, but other than taking wheel off, I still can't find any info how to get to the cable once the wheel is off..
You will need a long tool to pull on the primary release cable, which I believe is to the driver side of the hood latch. You can probably make one out of half a broom handle and a stuff piece of wire attached to the end, with the shape of a U at the tip.

To get to the cable actuator, you can try pulling back or removing the driver side wheel well and seeing if you can squeeze the tool in from one side of the headlight assembly and in front of the frunk tub. You might have to get at it from the bottom.

I had my secondary actuator replaced in August 2018 by a mobile service technician in my garage, but didn't pay attention and don't know exactly where he got at it.

Without knowing anything about how the mechanisms actually work, I would imagine that the actuator is under fairly heavy load from the spring pushing up on the frunk. Given that, if the actuator is failing but not completely dead, could you use some clever timing to unload that actuator, making its job easier?

As in, put your hands on the frunk lid near the hood emblem (right above the latch) and push down fairly hard. While holding, activate the frunk latch via app/fob and quickly release your weight allowing the spring to pop the frunk? I'm not suggesting this as a permement fix of course, just as a one-off for you to get inside and replace the failing actuator.

Reactions: XPsionic