Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to see a response as badly as everyone else here, however considering the current political circumstances I would be a little upset if President Obama took some time right now to respond. The crisis in Syria is much more important than the petition.

I want to see a response as badly as everyone else here, however considering the current political circumstances I would be a little upset if President Obama took some time right now to respond. The crisis in Syria is much more important than the petition.

I totally agree that the Syrian situation is more important. However, I do believe the President can multi task and has people within the administration that focus on international/military affairs and others that would be more concerned with domestic/commerce. These different groups can work simultaneously and offer advice to the President.

Also keep in mind that starting a new petition risks not hitting the required # of signatures, thereby damaging the cause. Given that the White House will eventually respond with no further action and the minuscule (IMO) odds that a 2nd petition will have any tangible positive impact on the White House's actions, I would caution against starting a second petition.

As investors we need to start a new White House petition to ask the White House to stand up to their commitment to respond to our previous petition since we did garner the required number of signatures. They should be embarrassed at not even commenting on it but rather ignoring it
Let's form an exploratory committee to figure out why the first exploratory committee didn't reach a conclusion.

Sounds like you're destined to be a politician.

Oil and military monopolies

Make no mistake, the U.S. response to the tragedies that have occurred in Syria is not humanitarian. It is simply a continuation of military presence in the Middle East. It will remedy nothing. The only solution, is providing the technology to overcome the inertia of the oil-military-based world economy. What has been the result of the war in Iraq? What has been the result of the wars in Afghanistan?

We have had the technology to disrupt oil for sometime. Elon Musk is doing a compelling sales job. Tesla Motors is changing the world.

The White House's response to our petition is not trivial, nor should we allow it to be.

I signed the petition, and think it would be neat if the White House responded.

But let's face it, there probably isn't much that the White House can do in substantive terms. I'm not aware of a regulatory mechanism to address this issue, and while I think there is a clear constitutional case to be made that the current situation affects interstate commerce, it would still require new legislation, or a court order, to make any changes.

Beyond that, when you look at the politics, this petition is actually a bit of a political catch-22 for the administration and for Tesla. Tesla has done a lot to quiet conservative criticism in the last few months thanks to their success in the marketplace.

But one of the reasons that conservatives have been holding their fire has been because the administration has taken a hands off approach to Tesla. Frankly, if the Obama administration was to come out with a strong statement in support of Tesla, it could well result in a polarizing response that would not be helpful.

I signed the petition, and think it would be neat if the White House responded.

But let's face it, there probably isn't much that the White House can do in substantive terms. I'm not aware of a regulatory mechanism to address this issue, and while I think there is a clear constitutional case to be made that the current situation affects interstate commerce, it would still require new legislation, or a court order, to make any changes.

Beyond that, when you look at the politics, this petition is actually a bit of a political catch-22 for the administration and for Tesla. Tesla has done a lot to quiet conservative criticism in the last few months thanks to their success in the marketplace.

But one of the reasons that conservatives have been holding their fire has been because the administration has taken a hands off approach to Tesla. Frankly, if the Obama administration was to come out with a strong statement in support of Tesla, it could well result in a polarizing response that would not be helpful.

Way too wise, nuanced, realistic, and reasonable an answer. :)

I agree that this issue is a double-edged sword for Obama for another reason -- it potentially could be seen as a slight to labor to the extent that dealers' lobbies are more aligned with that side of the fence, and Obama has enough challenges already than to risk isolating labor. Green energy issues don't appear to be high on the White House agenda right now, especially with trying to figure out a way to save face with Syria debacle.

Well, can't say you both don't have passion on the subject and taste for speed. ;) P85+ speed that is.

It's hard to wait (for me it is anyways) and I'm still a believer of any press is good press (I love to hear the dealers whine when there are happy customers in their states).

Okay strictly speaking about Tesla, I don't think this petition will make a difference. Feds could care less.

People need to get out to their LOCAL reps (like I am Jimbo--hope others are doing the same) and make your voice known.

I can't stand these state dealers assoc TRYING controlling things (see my other threads against CA dealers going after Tesla).

We can bury our heads in the sand and think this isn't political, but it is--who do you think is against it? Those lobbyist in the pockets of politicians (of BOTH parties FYI).

Last edited:
This is exactly what the Commerce Clause was meant to prevent.

State legislatures passing laws preventing sales of products from other states.

Only the Feds can regulate interstate commerce.

In the past, the Supreme Court really stretched the definition of the Commerce Clause but this is in the middle of the Commerce Clause strike zone.

Tesla needs to bring a case before the Court.

The Texas state Legislature is placing unreasonable restrictions on a California Company from selling California made goods in Texas.

And we know any justification as "Consumer Protection" is completely bogus.

This is exactly what the Commerce Clause was meant to prevent.

State legislatures passing laws preventing sales of products from other states.

Only the Feds can regulate interstate commerce.

In the past, the Supreme Court really stretched the definition of the Commerce Clause but this is in the middle of the Commerce Clause strike zone.

Tesla needs to bring a case before the Court.

The Texas state Legislature is placing unreasonable restrictions on a California Company from selling California made goods in Texas.

And we know any justification as "Consumer Protection" is completely bogus.

I don't believe it's true that only the Feds can regulate intersrate, it's that states cannot preempt Federal legislation. There's nothing to preempt right now.

Okay strictly speaking about Tesla, I don't think this petition will make a difference. Feds could care less.

People need to get out to their LOCAL reps (like I am Jimbo--hope others are doing the same) and make your voice known.

I can't stand these state dealers assoc TRYING controlling things (see my other threads against CA dealers going after Tesla).

We can bury our heads in the sand and think this isn't political, but it is--who do you think is against it? Those lobbyist in the pockets of politicians (of BOTH parties FYI).

Sing It Brother!!!

Elon Musk put it most eloquently, "...that is a perversion of democracy" You are correct, the only thing to do is organize locally.

Look at the fact that Local action that made marijuana legal in CO and WA. As an example of people acting locally.

The fed would NEVER legalize cannabis on their own due to their own conflicting stance on the subject:The DEA (Arm of US Government) States there is No medical Value in marijuana. This is in direct conflict to US Patent 6630507 This is odd because THC (One of 60+ Cannabinoids in marijuana) But I digress before I get WAY off topic.... However, while I am off Topic, texex91 let me tell you I sure thought your forum posts would totally drop once you got your sweet ride. - LOL Cool to see your passion.

Back to Tesla,

The franchise law is clearly being misused by the new car dealers association. This law was meant to protect small "corporations" consisting of only a few living humans, Not giant corporate entities that consist of thousands of living humans working to the single goal of making money. The fact is that the members of the NCDA are trying to do the same thing to TSLA that these types of laws try to prevent. -Large established entities from gaining a monopoly.

In the end it all boils down to who has the most money. The NCDA has a lot of it. Too bad while raking in their massive profits they didn't use their influence to push for better vehicles for their consumers. Now they have nothing to show for it and they are crying in their milk.

80% of Texans supported that particular legislation, so the legislator went against the will of the people. Something BIG is messed up in Texas when the government goes against the will of the people.

I've said this a million times and I'll say it a million more. Everyone has heard the forum lingo Stealerships in reference to dealerships. The fact is that new car dealers add to the price of the car and the majority of people do not like them. People shouldn't like them they place the burden undue cost to the consumer! It's economics 101 you cannot add another entity to the supply chain and not raise the price!

TSLA should not be forced to contract for services they do not need. (Dealers supply service not cars) . Maybe instead of all this negative energy (energy=money) the dealers could train their staff in alternative energy vehicles and actually pressure their current manufacturing partners to come up with a TSLA fighter. If I owned a dealer I would expect TSLA to eventually offer certified repair center certifications similar to how Apple conducts relationships for third-party repair certification.

Sadly most dealers won't have this level of fortitude and go the way for the 8-track (Hopefully If people band together and act locally.)

Tesla is a real disruptor for the entire auto industry and I believe that the smart manufactures have already purchased and dissected a Model S so they can figure out what patents they can navigate around and which patents they will have to license, and in the end satisfy their dealers. Though the really smart manufactures have invested in Tesla. I am sure the members of the NCDA will survive as long as their manufacturing partners start adapting and make truly green cars....

But as Elon said so simply... "that is as perversion of democracy"

Would you expect anything different but perversion from the same government that introduced crack cocaine to the citizens they swore an oath to protect?

I don't. He with the gold will always try to make the rules.