Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Year Used Tesla Model 3 Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a little overdue for this review and it may not be fully comprehensive of all my thoughts, but here it is… My 1st year review of purchasing and owning a Used Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Order Date: Feb 8, 2023
Delivery Date: Feb 27, 2023
Odometer at time of Purchase: 30562
Miles Driven Since Purchase: 23,500+

Purchase

Pros
:
  • Easy to find a vehicle with options I was looking for on the Tesla used inventory website
  • FSD was included with all performance models available at the time and didn’t significantly increase the price compared to Long Range
  • Adding a Wall Connector was simple and delivery was fast
  • Delivery fee was a reasonable $500 to move the car from out of State to the local Service Center.
  • Service Center staff were friendly
Cons:
  • Performance model comes with summer tires and no option to change on purchase. It was still snow season at time of delivery and summer tires were not safe. Paid ~$1500 to replace with All-Season tires - which aren’t best, but much better than what came with the car.
  • Delivery took 19 days, which might be okay for some, but compared to going to a dealer lot and driving home the same day, the Tesla experience was not pleasant; especially because…
  • No communication from Tesla to keep me updated while I waited after paying for the vehicle. Calling the service center never resulted in answers. Telsa has no communication channel for customers to communicate with. It’s all a mystery until your delivery date is set and they call or message you to schedule pickup.
  • No demo drive on delivery
  • No demo at all to explain how the car worked
  • Expected me to sign the acceptance of delivery before being shown the vehicle
Road Tripping

Pros:

• Built-in navigation is very useful for trip planning.
  • Plenty of SuperChargers along the East Coast so not much concern of “range anxiety.”
  • Most chargers are near a restroom and food
  • The vehicle is decently efficient even on the 20” wheels. Getting to chargers at 10-14% or so and charging to 80% netted about an average of 250 miles
  • 250kW chargers help reduce charge time
  • Price per kWh is decent in most places and less than gas
Cons:
  • Some cities only have one or two charging stations. At one destination city in South Carolina, the closest charger was a 30 minute drive away from the rental home. It takes time away from the vacation and puts extra miles on the car.
  • Some charging stations are hidden in back lots and do not feel safe
  • Lack of canopies means getting soaked in the rain to plug/unplug
  • 150kW chargers increase time and sometimes you don’t have a choice. Navigation could do better at getting people to faster chargers
  • The charging curve is good on my Model 3, but it doesn’t hold 250kW for very long and only at low SoC, then drops significantly as the car charges. While the charge times are good, trips could be shorter with a better charging curve.
Charging

Pros
:
  • see above for road tripping on SuperChargers
  • Preconditioning on the way to a SuperChargers improves charging speeds and reduces charge time
  • 9-11kW home charging is plenty to keep my “tank” filled to where I need it for my average daily driving. I’d like to get faster speeds at home, but I normally don’t need it to be any faster.
  • An 80% SOC usually lasts me a couple days
  • Cost per kWh at home is half the cost of a SuperCharger and could be much cheaper if I installed a dedicated meter and enrolled in the local State program
Cons:
  • Would like an option to manually precondition the battery since the local SuperCharger is only ~1.5miles from my home and not enough time to warm up the battery properly. Setting the destination early can help mitigate this a bit but I often don’t have/take time to experiment with that. If I’m going to a SuperCharger locally it’s because I need more charge in the time available than what my home can provide.
  • Supercharger wires are too short. Even when I’m a Tesla you sometimes struggle getting the wire to the port. Supposedly v4 cabinets will fix this, but at this point in time the short wires are an annoyance.
Tech

Pros
:
  • The primary screen is big enough
  • Controls are fairly accessible on the screen and easy to understand with a little time using it
  • The rear camera and guide lines are the best I have used for backing into spaces and reversing. Which is important for plugging in at a SuperCharger with vehicles on each side of the spot you’re pulling into.
  • The fender cameras are good for checking blind spots
  • Dog mode is great and came in handy when traveling with the my little buddy. The internal camera helps check in on them while you’re out eating and using restrooms.
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is really nice.
  • Most of the video games run pretty well with a few exceptions of screen tearing (Cuphead, for example).
  • Most of the video services work well enough, but can load a bit sluggishly
  • The toy box features are okay to play with every now and then, but mostly forgettable
  • Phone Key is mostly awesome. I like not needing to carry around a FOB.
  • Valet mode is pretty great when handing the keycard to a service technician at a non-Tesla service center. I’m sure there are other good uses for valet mode, but the tire shop is where I have needed it and worked well.
  • The scroll wheels are a convenient way to access certain settings and controls without having to use the screen. Though it did take me a couple days to understand how to click left and right using the wheels.
Cons:
  • Can’t view internal camera if someone is in the car using the screen. This feels less like a technical limitation and could be changed with a software update. I’m sure it is an attempt at privacy, but I had a need to check in and could t because the kid was playing a game on the screen.
  • Intel Atom has not aged well for running the tablet. The UI is mostly fine, but the speed difference between my car and newer Tesla vehicles is significant. Since this is also the car’s computer, it has limited (non-existent) upgrade options. Wouldn’t be more than $500 to have a swappable APU/mobo to run the screen that communicates with the car CPU and allows for upgrade options down the road when the software has surpassed a reasonable performance of the CPU. I’m not going to buy a whole new car just to get a little faster screen.
  • Viewing Sentry Mode footage is tedious and slow. The timeline selector isn’t as smooth as I’d like. Makes going through 30+ “incidents” a challenge.
  • Sentry mode doesn’t capture things like - who put this grocery cart against my bumper or - how did the car not realize this person parked bumper to bumper
  • Automatic Windshield wipers are not good. Too many times I have to control them manually.
  • Currently cannot configure FSD to activate only on a double-pull of the stalk. I want single pull to activate TACC only and double can then put on FSD, but there’s no way to change it.
  • Once in Drive, the car will not let you switch from FSD to the AutoPilot or AutoSteer. You must stop to change those. It’s not reasonable to require 2 driver profiles in order to make this switch while on the road. To me, that’s not an acceptable work-around.
  • My car did not receive the latest video games in the catalog. I was specifically excited for Vampire Survivors, which is not available for my car.
  • The web browser is very slow and doesn’t work well.
  • Phone Key has limitations. Too often I’ll be stuck in the rain because the car didn’t recognize my phone until I unlocked the device. This is supposedly improved for newer cars and iPhones, but my car doesn’t support the U1 chip and so I sometimes get left in the rain for a moment while I dig out my phone.
  • Audio control buttons are too small. I’ll often hit the wrong button when attempting to tap Next, Play or Previous. I’ll often scroll the timeline when trying to tap the pause button.
  • There’s no way to manage playlists on Apple Music.
  • The car often forgets what I was playing and I’ll have to start a playlist all over again.
  • Many time I get “Playback error” message no matter what service I was using last. I get in the car and it just errors out.
  • It seems like the car will often just play my playlist while I’m in the store and I’ll come out to a totally different song that what I left it, even if I pause the song before I step out of the car.
  • Trying to search for music while driving is difficult, even for the passenger. The car bumps around too much to easily use the on-screen keyboard.
  • Overall the audio software has enough annoyances to be a let down. It’s more convenient than using my phone, but it’s glitchy and can get in the way.
  • Voice control is very limited in its usefulness. It doesn’t understand my command every often. I pretty much only use it for specific things and not often.
Ugly
  • FSD is not very useful. TACC and AutoSteer are enough for most people since those are the 2 most important features for taking long road trips and assisting with fatigue. The only time I use FSD now, after the v12.3.3 update, is on long highway trips. It adds automatic lane switching, but can get you into trouble near exits; both when attempting to exit and when people are trying to merge onto the highway around you. “Supervised” was necessary not only to avoid more lawsuits of potential confusion over the name, but because the driver definitely needs to be aware and ready to take over at any given moment.
  • Disabling the radar on my car seems like a bad decision. Object detection got notably worse once they went vision only and it has not improved. Really feels like a significant step backwards and there seems to be no plans for Tesla to course correct. They put new radars on the S and X, but those seem to be experimental and possibly will be abandoned. Who knows.
  • What does the + action actually do in the audio controls? Never what I want it to, that’s for sure.
Maintenance

Pros
:
  • The local service center staff have been really nice and helpful
  • Setting up an appointment is fairly easy in the app
  • Uber credits are provided when the service takes multiple hours - days. Sometimes option to borrow a demo car instead of using Uber.
  • Theoretically, regenerative braking (one-pedal driving) saves wear on the brake pads. Maybe so, but it’s hard to compare. Break pads on my old ICE vehicles didn’t need replaced very often either.
  • Road side assistance was easy to use for tire issues. When I got a flat tire from a pothole I was able to get someone out to my location within 30 minutes. They put on a temporary tire (albeit 18” instead of 20”, but it didn’t cause any problems). The service center had my tire ready to go by the time my appointment came around and it was a fairly quick visit to the service center. The service center also allowed me to ship my preferred tire replacement to them and they only charged me for the labor to install it.
Cons:
  • Required to accept estimates ahead of appointment. Estimates do not consider in-warranty repairs and thus you have to agree to pay for things that you might not end up paying for, but you won’t know until after the service is completed. Have to communicate with service staff to ensure you don’t get charged on the final bill.
  • It can be difficult communicating an issue via messages in the app. It’s better to get the service request submitted and then call the service center to make it clear what the issue is that you’re having.
  • Seat controls have been stepped on and broken by multiple people. First repair cost $160. 2nd time cost $135. Seems like a design issue if multiple people are accidentally stepping on and breaking these controls.
  • Tires. I’m tired of dealing with tires. Overall I have spent over $4500 on wheel and tire replacements in the first year. I was already cautious, but now I’m super anxious about bumpy roads, pot holes and speed bumps. These low profile wheels and tires cannot handle Indiana roads well.
  • The steering wheel that came with the car started falling apart and by September I had to go in for a replacement. Thankfully this was covered by warranty, but it was an inconvenience and some people may not even attempt as the estimated cost was around $900 if it wouldn’t have been covered.
  • When I got my car back from getting the steering wheel replaced the dash material was not sitting properly and had bulges. Plus the glovebox was no longer aligned and was leaning to the left. Had to go get that fixed. No cost.
  • The material under the driver-side door button started falling off. Fixed with a bit of super glue instead of going into the service center.
  • It seems my blue jeans don’t go well with the White Seats. My driver side seat has a blue tint that I can only assume comes from my jeans. Maybe not. Idk but I’m not wearing the cheapest jeans. This seems like something that shouldn’t be a problem. There are also wrinkles in the drive side seat. I’m planning to replace the seat at some point, but I’m not in a rush unless the material cracks open.
  • Service center only sells the Pirelli summer tires for performance models. Which does not work in the middle of winter in Indiana. So while they allowed me to get a tire of my choice and they installed it, I was kind of forced into that by not really having a good choice from the service center itself.
Ugly:
  • It sucks not knowing how long until the 12V battery goes out. I wish there was an easy way to check the battery health without having to pull the battery out of the car. I think it’s a bit too late to give a warning on the screen when the battery is about to die. I don’t know the solution, but it’s concerning that I might end up stranded and needing a tow because of the 12V going out at an inconvenient time.
Driving Experience

Pros
:
  • One-pedal driving is the Big Wheels for adults experience I knew I wanted but never thought I’d get. It works great for me. I do have to hit the brakes occasionally and that’s okay.
  • The performance model definitely has some get up and go. Anybody who has driven one knows that feeling of falling back against your seat on takeoff. It’s not Model S Plaid, but it’s still a fun feeling.
  • The car is relatively quiet. Road noise is an issue on the highways. I test drove a 3freshed “Highland” demo car and Tesla has greatly improved that for the new cars. I’m not going to trade up for it any time soon, though. It’s fine in my car. A bit worse if you have to fold down the back seats and the trunk noise added. Still good enough to be a pro and not a con.
  • While I’d prefer a HUD, I’m okay with the speedometer sitting in the upper-left of the screen. It hasn’t been an issue for me.
  • The climate controls are easy to use. The seat warmers are nice to have in the cold months and helps to keep food warm.
  • The car handles pretty well. It’s a bit heavy, but fun to go around mountain curves at decent speeds.
Cons:
  • Maybe this is just the performance suspension, but you definitely feel the bumps in the road. Hard to sit your head back on the headrest without your vision shaking to the rhythm of the road.
Miscellaneous

Pros
:
  • The frunk is nice for keeping my portable charger and air pump. I have used it for light grocery trips, but mostly I just use it for storing maintenance equipment.
  • Being able to turn on the climate controls from the app is convenient. I could do this with my key fob in my previous car, but this is still nice. At least the Tesla app lets me change the temp and turn on/off seat heaters.
  • Finding the car is a big parking lot is easier by checking the location in the app
Cons:
  • Having to explain how to open the door to people who are new to Tesla is annoying. I’ve had a few people get out using the emergency door release because it’s placed and looks like a normal door latch. Thankfully nobody has broken anything yet. I do my best to explain whenever a new person sits in my car to make sure they don’t pull that handle and instead use the button.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts

I like my Tesla. I enjoy driving it. I’ve put a lot miles on it in this first year and feel I have a good idea of what the experience is for a Tesla owner.

I chose the Model 3 over a Mustang Mach-E solely because of the SuperCharger network and my desire to take multiple, long road trips in 2023. Now that the other manufacturers are making the switch to J3400 and gaining access to the SuperCharger network, that is no longer a deciding factor for my next vehicle.

My car has depreciated so much in price that I would lose a lot of money if I were to sell it now. Trade-in values are not very good and would also end in a net loss for me way more than I anticipated when I bought the car. I expected to keep this car for the long haul, so I wasn’t concerned about it when I made the purchase, but it still kind of burns seeing the deals I could’ve gotten had I waited until the end of 2023 or later.

There are a lot of really nice EVs hitting the market and on the way. While I enjoy my Tesla, I don’t plan on replacing it with another Tesla when I’m ready to move on. There are too many changes that have been made in the recent vehicles that I don’t like and there are quality of life features in other vehicles that are more appealing to me.

I don’t like the sporatic methodology of course corrections that the company makes. Sometimes changing things with OTAs without regard to customer desires for those changes. OTAs can be great, but they can also be misused. In general, I’ve not been a fan of the direction of the company and their lack of focus on their vehicle division. A lot will need to change to convince me to stick with Tesla going forward.

It’s been a pretty good time driving my Model 3, but I am looking forward to moving on to something that sits higher, has a quieter and smoother ride and has better build materials.

IMG_2090.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2091.jpeg
    IMG_2091.jpeg
    471 KB · Views: 5
Seat controls have been stepped on and broken by multiple people. First repair cost $160. 2nd time cost $135. Seems like a design issue if multiple people are accidentally stepping on and breaking these controls.
Interesting. This is the first time I see someone reporting this issue. Thanks for the review. The only competitors that I would potentially consider as an alternative to Tesla are M-B and Porsche and Rivian after they integrate NACS. Everything else seems pretty much garbage that is used by Barras and Farleys of the world to bump the stock and shareholder pockets.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gumball and afadeev
KerrySkates said:
Seat controls have been stepped on and broken by multiple people. First repair cost $160. 2nd time cost $135. Seems like a design issue if multiple people are accidentally stepping on and breaking these controls.

Interesting. This is the first time I see someone reporting this issue.

Definitely not the 1st time.
Lots of threads on this subject, just search.

I had fixed passenger seat controls 3 or 4 times by now, but one of the buttons has broken off again. I'm not fixing it anymore, until right before I'm selling the stupid thing.

Everything else seems pretty much garbage that is used by Barras and Farleys of the world to bump the stock and shareholder pockets.

You sure you didn't mean the above comment to be directed at Elon?

• Disagree
Reactions: alexgr
Sounds like the new model Y will be perfect for you!
I rented a 2022 Model Y late last year and drove it ~1700 miles. I enjoyed it and it was essentially a bigger Model 3, but that also means its got similar issues to what I mentioned in the conclusion for my car review. The 3fresh Model 3 didn’t solve any of the build and material quality issues.

Unless there are more significant changes to the vehicles and the way the company operates, I’m not as interested in another Tesla compared to other BEVs coming from the competition. It’s not like the Model Y hasn’t been on my radar. It’s just last on the list at this point.

…..The only competitors that I would potentially consider as an alternative to Tesla are M-B and Porsche and Rivian after they integrate NACS. Everything else seems pretty much garbage that is used by Barras and Farleys of the world to bump the stock and shareholder pockets.

As a Ford EV owner I wouldn’t call it garbage. We own 2 2023 Model Ys and a 2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER.

The Ford Lightning is a great vehicle.
  • It’s Adaptive Cruise control with lane keeping is better than the Teslas on all streets
  • came with free 3 years with hands free Blue Cruise on highways
  • auto wipers work as expected
  • no phantom braking
  • MUCH smoother ride
  • huge front Frunk where we keep a powered cooler plugged into 120 vac outlets to keep ice cream frozen
  • identical range to our LR Ys
  • has a 131 kWh battery and multiple 120vac outlets and a 240vac 30 amp outlet
  • 9.6 kw pro-power onboard where I can power my cabin with an inexpensive Interlock bypass and Generator inlet
  • There are 46 dealerships with service centers within 50 miles of my house,
  • uses "Phone as a Key" like Tesla
  • has a keypad on door pillar to unlock doors
  • if you don’t have your phone with you, also can start and drive your car without key or phone with a passcode
  • comfortable wide seats
  • has Sirius radio
  • has Apple CarPlay so I can use Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze etc
  • DC Fast charge curve is steady 150 KWs all the way to 80%
  • Can use J1772: CCS, NACS Wall Connector and even most Tesla V3SC NACS with provided NACS adapter
  • I can find the door handles in the dark
  • The truck welcomes me with exterior lights turning on when I walk up to the truck at night
The down sides are minimal
Its 33% less efficient. (2.1 kw/mi vs 3.2 kw/mi
Battery takes 33% longer to replenish charge for same miles driven when connected to my home Tesla Wall Charger
Not as easy to park in Mall parking lots
Ford Pass App features are not as robust as Tesla App

Last edited:
As a Ford EV owner I wouldn’t call it garbage. We own 2 2023 Model Ys and a 2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER.

• It’s Adaptive Cruise control with lane keeping is better than the Teslas on all streets
  • no phantom braking
  • MUCH smoother ride
  • huge front Frunk where we keep a powered cooler plugged into 120 vac outlets to keep ice cream frozen
  • 9.6 kw pro-power onboard where I can power my cabin with an inexpensive Interlock bypass and Generator inlet
  • if you don’t have your phone with you, also can start and drive your car without key or phone with a passcode
  • comfortable wide seats
  • has Sirius radio
  • Can use J1772: CCS, NACS Wall Connector and even most Tesla V3SC NACS with provided NACS adapter
  • The truck welcomes me with exterior lights turning on when I walk up to the truck at night
Battery takes 33% longer to replenish charge for same miles driven when connected to my home Tesla Wall Charger
cool story.

• no phantom braking
  • MUCH smoother ride
  • comfortable wide seats
  • has Sirius radio
I really considered the lightning. I just couldn't get over the limited range compared to the size of the battery. I knew it would work as an everyday commuter, but didn't think it would be a viable roadtripper.

I really considered the lightning. I just couldn't get over the limited range compared to the size of the battery. I knew it would work as an everyday commuter, but didn't think it would be a viable roadtripper.
From a lot of reviews I saw on Lightning, the major issue matching my expectations with the Lightning is that because of its low efficiency you need it to charge as fast as possible if you want to travel anywhere with it. 150 kW max is a no-starter for any modern EV, let alone an EV truck. Even home charging may become an issue if you have to wait for 12 hours rather than for 6 hours as for the Model Y, for example.

You can watch recent Kyle's truck tripping cross country where the F-150 came dead last because of the charging speed even though it used Tesla superchargers.
1714405814948.png

Last edited:
Great writeup with a lot of detail. I may have overlooked the year model of the vehicle but I did see there was chrome around the windows. I first thought that you may had a Lithium-Ion low voltage battery. Tesla does a good guess when the LV battery may be at the end of the lifecycle but it's always a crap shoot. Many vehicles never give you a warning. You go to start and just hear clicking. Many years ago when there was a real voltage gauge that actually worked, you could get an idea when the battery was going out if the voltage would stay higher than normal.

Course corrections are done by all automotive manufactures / dealers. Instead of price changes like Tesla, they provide rebates, trade in incentives or very low to no interest rates. It equals the same but never published in the news like tesla prices. Unlike any other manufacture, Tesla has a short look back time (24hrs). That's why they make minor on the fly price changes. This allows them to accommodate demand vs production & inventory.

Best of luck with your next purchase. I do agree, the Model 3 does sit low. Most US consumers are also looking for higher seating. Probably the reason no domestic manufacture makes family cars.

It has a huge battery and the efficiency just wasn't there to be practical for me. I'm sure it'll get there someday!
Here is a summary of the charging curve for most EV trucks. The Cybertruck curve is in progress of upgrades by Tesla, and you find Kyle already reporting 330 kW for the Cybertruck. As you can see, for most of the time the charging curve for the Lightning is very bad.
1714410468986.png

Unless there are more significant changes to the vehicles and the way the company operates, I’m not as interested in another Tesla compared to other BEVs coming from the competition. It’s not like the Model Y hasn’t been on my radar. It’s just last on the list at this point.
Oh the privilege to demand the world revolves around yourself.
😇
If only this worked, who would buy a Ford, Mercedes, or a VW vehicle ever again.

That said, if one demands the fine interior and fit quality atop of all, then Tesla is not the best choice, I agree. Mercedes, BMW, or Audi and Lincoln (on a budget) would fit much better. But then you get what you pay for.

Oh the privilege to demand the world revolves around yourself.
😇
If only this worked, who would buy a Ford, Mercedes, or a VW vehicle ever again.

That said, if one demands the fine interior and fit quality atop of all, then Tesla is not the best choice, I agree. Mercedes, BMW, or Audi and Lincoln (on a budget) would fit much better. But then you get what you pay for.
I’m not following how you came to the conclusion that I expect the world to revolve around me.

Criticizing other manufacturers is fine, but your comments come off as if I’ve never owned another brand of vehicle before my Tesla. I have owned a nice handful of vehicles from
Various manufacturers over the years and have a good idea what I’m getting into.

I understand you don’t agree with my assessment of the vehicle and the company, but there’s no need to act as if someone is lesser because they have to a conclusion you don’t agree with. Yeah; I’m likely to go with a different brand. Don’t be offended. I’m still going for an EV. That’s the goal - to reduce the use of ICE vehicles and increase the use of clean-energy - not to be a brand loyalist.

Reactions: alexgr
I’m not following how you came to the conclusion that I expect the world to revolve around me.

Criticizing other manufacturers is fine, but your comments come off as if I’ve never owned another brand of vehicle before my Tesla. I have owned a nice handful of vehicles from
Various manufacturers over the years and have a good idea what I’m getting into.

I understand you don’t agree with my assessment of the vehicle and the company, but there’s no need to act as if someone is lesser because they have to a conclusion you don’t agree with. Yeah; I’m likely to go with a different brand. Don’t be offended. I’m still going for an EV. That’s the goal - to reduce the use of ICE vehicles and increase the use of clean-energy - not to be a brand loyalist.
Sorry, my statement was actually aimed not at you specifically. Rather I am tired of seeing increasingly often the statement that "never Tesla" because "of the way the company operates" and "the personality of EM". I admit you might even have a different meaning of "the way the company operates". Regarding the quality of the regular car side of Tesla, I actually agree with you that it is barely okay. Tesla-tec is my primary reason I'd stay with Tesla now until at others make NACS standard at least.