Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Five Year Review -- Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sent out a Five-Year Assessment of my Model 3 for some friends, so thought I should also post here -- the photo shows it with my 1975 MGB and 1998 BMW 528i a few weeks ago...

There has been a great deal of misinformation said and written about EVs in general and Telsa in particular during the past five years since I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD in October of 2018, so perhaps an assessment of this revolutionary car is in order at this point after 75,000 miles! Tesla started to manufacture the Dual Motor model in Q3 2018, and they needed it to be successful or they would go bankrupt. To get the proper volume, they added a tent assembly line to the Freemont plant to get the numbers right and rest is history.

My Model 3 Dual Motor AWD net cost after tax rebates and incentives was about $47,500 -- cheaper than the price of a comparable BMW 328 or Audi A4. Cost and incentives were certainly a factor, but Model 3 also had the best technology as it was the first car in decades that was different – it came with an embryonic Full Self Driving package with ability to upgrade with free software updates. As a computer on wheels, I saw the Model 3 as the Ford Model T of its time. Additionally, with an emission-free vehicle, it no longer felt right to the climate to have a normal Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) car that adds 25 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere for every 25 miles or one gallon of gas used.

JUST A GREAT DRIVING VEHICLE
What I like most about the Tesla Model 3 is what I liked about my old 1975 MGB and 1998 BMW 528i in their day – the Model 3 just a great driving vehicle! It was much better and faster than any new BMW, Audi or similar ICE car that I drove in the same price range. The torque on the Model 3 is instant so there is immediate acceleration response from zero to 60 but also from 60 to 100. Turning is quick and responsive, breaking is excellent – all of this without even thinking about the added assisted driving software. In 2018, the Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD took over BMW as the “Ultimate Driving Machine” in my book. It started at Zero to 60 in 4.7 seconds, then a free software upgrade reduced that to 4.2 seconds in 2018. And finally, not necessary as probably too fast for me, I paid an extra $2,000 in 2019 to upgrade the speed to make is zero to 60 in 3.7 seconds. I wanted to test the technology for a sub $50,000 vehicle.

TESLA AUTOPILOT, ADVANCED AUTOPILOT, FULL SELF DRIVING and FSD BETA
This is a very confusing topic for many people, and Tesla is partially responsible for the confusion! Additionally, most everyone who writes about Tesla gets it wrong so I can understand how the public misunderstands the terms. For starters, Tesla Autopilot is misnamed – it is not self driving technology, it is essentially a good cruise control like you would have in any good modern car. All Teslas come with Autopilot. The step up is Tesla Advance Autopilot that is essentially Advanced Assisted Driving – a $6000 add-on and recommended -- much better than most cars on the road and great functionality on Interstate highways with limited self-driving. An additional $6,000 in 2023 will get you what is called Full Self Driving, which goes beyond Advanced Autopilot and adds many features like stopping for Stop signs and Red Lights for example, and a Summon command. Finally, Full Self Driving (FSD) Beta is a volunteer program that started a bit more than two years ago. At first Tesla owners had to take a safety test to quality for the FSD Beta, and even now one has to manually engage it. And, one can get kicked out of the program if misused.

The confusion lies with everyone thinking that Tesla Autopilot is the gold standard when indeed is just basic cruise control and really nothing special, every Tesla has it. However, only 10 percent of the Teslas you see on the road have paid for and are using Full Self Driving and FSD Beta – one in ten. Everyone other Tesla is driving just like a normal car – the person behind the steering wheel is totally in charge. That said, I am one of those 10 percent of Tesla owners with FSD Beta as I wanted to see where the technology was going and also wanted to have a voice by giving feedback to Tesla, and FSD was only an extra $3,000 in 2018. Over the years, I have had hundreds of software upgrades to my 2018 Model 3 and yes the progress on Full Self Driving has been remarkable. It has been fun. On the open road, FSD Beta is now the easiest and safest driving out there, and has been for years. One does not get tired driving on the Interstate highways as the car is really driving itself – one just needs to stay awake and pay attention. There is no stress. I have gone hundreds of miles without using the brakes or turning the steering wheel. I would guess that more than 95 percent of my Interstate driving is on FSD Beta, and it also handles two lane roads very well with 55mph or lower speeds, and even unmarked city or country roads. Yes, it will move over and give the bicyclist room and yes it stops at all red lights and stop signs. It has not mastered traffic circles in DC but just about everything else. I do turn FSD on when I can as I am confident that I am safer with the two of us driving.

Thus, the perception by some writers and the public that Full Self Driving (FSD) Beta is not safe is just wrong -- and the stats prove that by a large margin. We need to remember that Tesla is rated at Level Two self driving, meaning the driver is still responsible for the vehicle. FSD has greatly improved over the past five years, and present FSD Beta is Version 11.4.7.3 with 11.4.8 being releases as I write this. Tesla says that Version 12 will be out in a few weeks and will drop the Beta as it is allegedly that good. We shall see, but I am not betting that Tesla or anyone will make a proper Full Self Driving car anytime soon, even with AI. Tesla needs to have Lidar or some type of High Definition Radar sensors in addition to the cameras. For example, the Tesla cameras don’t work perfectly in the rain or inclement weather, and it does rain.

SOFTWARE UPDATES
The beauty of the Tesla car is the periodic over-the-air (OTA) software downloads to upgrade the vehicle, and my car has received more than a hundred in the past five years. Sometimes it is just a bug fix, sometimes it is a game-changer. It is as simple as getting a software upgrade on your Smartphone, just connect the car to WiFI. The end result is that my five-year Model 3 is technically just as advanced as a new 2023 Model 3 -- it is like having a new car that is five years old. There have been two vehicle recalls on my Model 3 – but both were done with OTA software downloads as my car never left my garage. One recall was the transportation department making the car come to a full stop and pause at a stop sign instead of slowing down to 2 mph and drifting through if nothing is coming – this stopping unfortunately annoys everyone in DC when I activate FSD Beta because no one comes to a complete stop, then a pause, if one does not have to in DC at least.

MAINTENANCE COSTS
The beauty of EVs is that maintenance costs are minimal – for me, less than $500 over these past five years and 75,000 miles, excluding tires at the 40,000-mile mark for $1,000. There are no regular maintenance procedures like oil changes in a normal ICE car – it does not need to go to the dealership or gas station on a regular basis. Cabin filters need to be changed every two years -- $70 total, a Tesla mobile unit came to my house and installed them. I did take it to the Tesla Service Center for the four year/50,000-mile check -- $205 that included the two cabin filters, lubricating the brakes, checking the suspension, and some other stuff. Since the car has regenerative braking, the best guess is 125,000 miles to replace the brake pads and/or rotors. I did not see the need to rotate the tires since they wear evenly with the Dual Motor model. It should be noted when the car was new I had to take it in the Tesla Service center to replace a malfunctioning turn signal module, and also in February 2020 to upgrade from Hardware 2.5 to Hardware 3.0 – but both of those visits were free. If we just look at the numbers, it is easy to see why maintenance costs are so small. There are 30-50 moving parts in the Tesla two engines and driveshaft, whereas there is something like 500 plus moving parts in a normal ICE vehicle -- thus more than ten times the things to break: hoses, oil, fluids, clamps, exhaust, fanbelt and all the other stuff.

RANGE
The topic of Range and Range Anxiety is so off target. It has never been an issue whether in normal driving around town or on long drives. For normal day-to-day driving, I charge at home with the normal 240 outlet – it is ready to go in the morning for hundreds of miles. I have taken long-distant trips to Florida, Colorado, Arizona, New Orlean and even to the corn fields of Iowa for “Field of Dreams” game – never an issue with finding a Tesla Supercharger. On long trips, I normally stop every three hours to stretch my legs and get a cup of coffee – so anywhere from 150 to 225 miles. At first there were not many Superchargers so one had to map things out and the chargers were only 72kw power – so sometimes it was 45 minutes or more to get back on the road, so Netflix was important to have on the cabin screen. Now with the 250kw Superchargers, one gets 200 miles charge in about 20 minutes so I rarely stop for longer than 25 minutes unless I need to check the internet or read/send more work or personal emails. The key to fast Supercharging stops is to go from 10/20 percent of battery capacity to 80 percent as that takes about 20 minutes on my Model 3 – an extra 10 minutes to go 90 per cent. There is no reason to charge to 100 percent unless it is absolutely necessary. In addition to Tesla Superchargers, there are Destination Hotels where one can charge for free overnight – could be a Holiday Inn, Hilton, or whatever. Even ski resorts like Steamboat Springs have Destination Hotels. I did have one issue on the Utah/Arizona border this past March as I wanted to spend more time driving around in Monument Valley where there are no Superchargers. There was a nearby RV Camper stop nearby with 240 outlets, so I just hooked up the car and all was fine though I did look a bit funny with all those campers.

Originally, the car was listed with a 310 miles range but that was for the 18-inch tires, not my 19-inch sport wheels so even new it was closer to 300 miles – and even that is also not a real number if one likes to drive at 80mph on the Interstate highways. One will lose 10 or 20 percent of range with fast driving, or if it is very cold outside, and other reasons like climbing mountains and wind -- but that does not matter either. It is pretty impossible to run out of battery charge as the car will tell you to slow down or stop at the next Supercharger. Additionally, electric batteries will lose power over time, so I am now at 285 miles of range but that is still plenty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 125,000 miles not to lose more than 30 percent of its original range. And, actually, it appears that my car is more efficient through software upgrades so my range is pretty close to where I was when I bought it new. And, if one drives at a moderate 60-65 mph, the car is very efficient.

CHARGING, it is best to charge at home but you will need a separate 220/240 outlet. You can plug it directly into a $20 NEMA 15-50 outlet, or install a Tesla or third-party home charger. Either way , you get 30-40 miles of range in one hour, so more than 250 miles of range or more while you are sleeping. It’s cheap – about $10 for 400 miles of range in Washington, DC for example. If necessary and practical you can plug it into your 30 amp Dryer plug outlet. And yes, it is also possible to use a normal 110/120 plug in emergencies, but you will only get 3-5 miles of range in an hour. The installation cost for the NEMA or Tesla charger will be determined by how far the outlet is away from the breaker box -- 6 feet, about $250, 60 feet, expensive. Do not charge at Superchargers unless you are on the road or have no access to a 220 outlet. Supercharger rates vary from State to State, anywhere from $20 to $40 for 400 miles at present.

AUDIO and INTERIOR
The audio sound system is excellent – simply great sound from a bunch of speakers. The center screen is easy to navigate, but it would be better with a second screen in front of the driver. My guess is that BMW and others will have two screens, as does Tesla with the Model S and X. The seats are very comfortable. The Interior overall is very understated so no issues. One need not worry about theft as Sentry Mode activates the cameras if someone gets too close. My biggest gripe is that the Odometer is hidden under a few clicks on the center screen – it would be so easy to have it in plain view. Granted, perhaps old school but all signs on the road are in miles.

Onward to the next five,
PTB

20231109_134441.jpg

Enjoyed that - thanks.
New M3 owner having driven Porsche/Maserati / Merc - it's my wifes car but I'm all ove rthe damn thing - can't get enough. Like being back in school.
It's not just the car - it's also the App / Service centre / support / updates / cutting edge technology / Musk!
Love it.
Unfortunately - whoever bought our car from new ordered the FSD(beta) amongst other stuff - and of course this cannot be used in anger in the UK, so it is disabled in the car. So many naive purchasers actually believed autonomous driving was just around the corner........yeah, right!

Reactions: ptbenic and rpiotro
We will see if FSD v12 comes when expected. If it does, it will be the worst time of year for where I live due to the snow, rain and ice.

It’s not misinformation when there are plenty of YouTubers - Dirty Tesla, for example - that test every version and demonstrate what it’s good at and what it’s not. Even then, the experience will differ depending on where you live and how much data Tesla has on that area. Less Teslas = less data.

There are petrol industry-funded campaigns working hard to dismiss the efficiency and effectiveness of moving to BEVs. It’s not just targeting Telsa, but the entire industry. That’s where the misinformation comes from.

Personally, I am not very comfortable with my car taking over. I love the normal Enhanced Autopilot features and appreciate the green light sound notifications, but hardly ever use lane-keep (or w/e they call it). Adaptive cruise control is a world-changer coming from vehicles that don’t have such a feature. I have FSD installed, but don’t really use it. Sometimes I’ll turn it on, on the highway for a few minutes just to try it out with new updates and it does okay in that scenario when the weather is good. A little rain and it starts misbehaving - the major downside of vision-only.

The audio is really good in my M3P. The primary issue I have is that I subscribe to Apple One to save money. I don’t use Spotify or Tidal. Telsa does not play well with Apple Music. So I experience all sorts of frustrations with the service. It can’t even remember the last song I was playing when I come out of the store half the time. People can blame the Apple Music APIs all they want, but it’s the car that’s deciding the overall experience. If the APIs are that bad, then just give me CarPlay options - but I digress. Tesla needs to improve the Apple Music experience. They completely overhauled Spotify this year. I’d like to see something similar for Apple Music in 2024.

I’ve driven over 12k miles in 6 months of ownership. Charging has never been an issue. I’ve ran across 3 instances where I either got slower than expected charging speeds or the specific terminal was having service issues and couldn’t charge my car.

I only experienced range anxiety once when my entire infotainment system glitched and started predicting very low state of charge on arrival of the next charger. I wasn’t aware of how to restart the system at that point and so things were pretty nerve racking until the system automatically restarted and recalculated my trip. Even with the glitch, I was able to turn of air and audio and make the most of regen to get from 3% SoC on arrival to 7%; before the system restarted and shot me up to the 20% range. If I had known more about what to do in that situation, it would’ve never been so stressful.

Even with semi-frequent long range trips, I mostly charge at home. With my current setup I’m getting 9-11kW speeds which gives me a decent boost every hour. Don’t remember # of miles as I usually go by percentage. It’s close to 10% per hour. I charge to 80% for daily, but don’t need to charge every day.

There’s a stenchy Musk that currently comes with owning a Tesla. I hope that changes in the near future. There’s a lot to like about them, despite all the negative word-of-mouth. There’s still build and material quality issues. Annoying squeaks and road noise as compared to other similarly-priced BEVs. There’s the Apple Music issues I’ve experienced. And for some reason my car doesn’t get Vampire Survivors (ಥ﹏ಥ). But overall a Tesla is a great BEV. They will need to make bigger changes to stay competitive as every other manufacturer adapts NACs and improves their lineups and scales up. They’ll make money as the primary charging network, but they will begin to see vehicle sales slip as the industry catches up over the next year or two. Whether I’m correct on these predictions will be determined over time. So, we’ll see…

Reactions: ptbenic and Quamera
Sent out a Five-Year Assessment of my Model 3 for some friends, so thought I should also post here -- the photo shows it with my 1975 MGB and 1998 BMW 528i a few weeks ago...

There has been a great deal of misinformation said and written about EVs in general and Telsa in particular during the past five years since I took delivery of my Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD in October of 2018, so perhaps an assessment of this revolutionary car is in order at this point after 75,000 miles! Tesla started to manufacture the Dual Motor model in Q3 2018, and they needed it to be successful or they would go bankrupt. To get the proper volume, they added a tent assembly line to the Freemont plant to get the numbers right and rest is history.

My Model 3 Dual Motor AWD net cost after tax rebates and incentives was about $47,500 -- cheaper than the price of a comparable BMW 328 or Audi A4. Cost and incentives were certainly a factor, but Model 3 also had the best technology as it was the first car in decades that was different – it came with an embryonic Full Self Driving package with ability to upgrade with free software updates. As a computer on wheels, I saw the Model 3 as the Ford Model T of its time. Additionally, with an emission-free vehicle, it no longer felt right to the climate to have a normal Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) car that adds 25 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere for every 25 miles or one gallon of gas used.

What I like most about the Tesla Model 3 is what I liked about my old 1975 MGB and 1998 BMW 528i in their day – the Model 3 just a great driving vehicle! It was much better and faster than any new BMW, Audi or similar ICE car that I drove in the same price range. The torque on the Model 3 is instant so there is immediate acceleration response from zero to 60 but also from 60 to 100. Turning is quick and responsive, breaking is excellent – all of this without even thinking about the added assisted driving software. In 2018, the Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD took over BMW as the “Ultimate Driving Machine” in my book. It started at Zero to 60 in 4.7 seconds, then a free software upgrade reduced that to 4.2 seconds in 2018. And finally, not necessary as probably too fast for me, I paid an extra $2,000 in 2019 to upgrade the speed to make is zero to 60 in 3.7 seconds. I wanted to test the technology for a sub $50,000 vehicle.

This is a very confusing topic for many people, and Tesla is partially responsible for the confusion! Additionally, most everyone who writes about Tesla gets it wrong so I can understand how the public misunderstands the terms. For starters, Tesla Autopilot is misnamed – it is not self driving technology, it is essentially a good cruise control like you would have in any good modern car. All Teslas come with Autopilot. The step up is Tesla Advance Autopilot that is essentially Advanced Assisted Driving – a $6000 add-on and recommended -- much better than most cars on the road and great functionality on Interstate highways with limited self-driving. An additional $6,000 in 2023 will get you what is called Full Self Driving, which goes beyond Advanced Autopilot and adds many features like stopping for Stop signs and Red Lights for example, and a Summon command. Finally, Full Self Driving (FSD) Beta is a volunteer program that started a bit more than two years ago. At first Tesla owners had to take a safety test to quality for the FSD Beta, and even now one has to manually engage it. And, one can get kicked out of the program if misused.

The confusion lies with everyone thinking that Tesla Autopilot is the gold standard when indeed is just basic cruise control and really nothing special, every Tesla has it. However, only 10 percent of the Teslas you see on the road have paid for and are using Full Self Driving and FSD Beta – one in ten. Everyone other Tesla is driving just like a normal car – the person behind the steering wheel is totally in charge. That said, I am one of those 10 percent of Tesla owners with FSD Beta as I wanted to see where the technology was going and also wanted to have a voice by giving feedback to Tesla, and FSD was only an extra $3,000 in 2018. Over the years, I have had hundreds of software upgrades to my 2018 Model 3 and yes the progress on Full Self Driving has been remarkable. It has been fun. On the open road, FSD Beta is now the easiest and safest driving out there, and has been for years. One does not get tired driving on the Interstate highways as the car is really driving itself – one just needs to stay awake and pay attention. There is no stress. I have gone hundreds of miles without using the brakes or turning the steering wheel. I would guess that more than 95 percent of my Interstate driving is on FSD Beta, and it also handles two lane roads very well with 55mph or lower speeds, and even unmarked city or country roads. Yes, it will move over and give the bicyclist room and yes it stops at all red lights and stop signs. It has not mastered traffic circles in DC but just about everything else. I do turn FSD on when I can as I am confident that I am safer with the two of us driving.

Thus, the perception by some writers and the public that Full Self Driving (FSD) Beta is not safe is just wrong -- and the stats prove that by a large margin. We need to remember that Tesla is rated at Level Two self driving, meaning the driver is still responsible for the vehicle. FSD has greatly improved over the past five years, and present FSD Beta is Version 11.4.7.3 with 11.4.8 being releases as I write this. Tesla says that Version 12 will be out in a few weeks and will drop the Beta as it is allegedly that good. We shall see, but I am not betting that Tesla or anyone will make a proper Full Self Driving car anytime soon, even with AI. Tesla needs to have Lidar or some type of High Definition Radar sensors in addition to the cameras. For example, the Tesla cameras don’t work perfectly in the rain or inclement weather, and it does rain.

SOFTWARE UPDATES
The beauty of the Tesla car is the periodic over-the-air (OTA) software downloads to upgrade the vehicle, and my car has received more than a hundred in the past five years. Sometimes it is just a bug fix, sometimes it is a game-changer. It is as simple as getting a software upgrade on your Smartphone, just connect the car to WiFI. The end result is that my five-year Model 3 is technically just as advanced as a new 2023 Model 3 -- it is like having a new car that is five years old. There have been two vehicle recalls on my Model 3 – but both were done with OTA software downloads as my car never left my garage. One recall was the transportation department making the car come to a full stop and pause at a stop sign instead of slowing down to 2 mph and drifting through if nothing is coming – this stopping unfortunately annoys everyone in DC when I activate FSD Beta because no one comes to a complete stop, then a pause, if one does not have to in DC at least.

MAINTENANCE COSTS
The beauty of EVs is that maintenance costs are minimal – for me, less than $500 over these past five years and 75,000 miles, excluding tires at the 40,000-mile mark for $1,000. There are no regular maintenance procedures like oil changes in a normal ICE car – it does not need to go to the dealership or gas station on a regular basis. Cabin filters need to be changed every two years -- $70 total, a Tesla mobile unit came to my house and installed them. I did take it to the Tesla Service Center for the four year/50,000-mile check -- $205 that included the two cabin filters, lubricating the brakes, checking the suspension, and some other stuff. Since the car has regenerative braking, the best guess is 125,000 miles to replace the brake pads and/or rotors. I did not see the need to rotate the tires since they wear evenly with the Dual Motor model. It should be noted when the car was new I had to take it in the Tesla Service center to replace a malfunctioning turn signal module, and also in February 2020 to upgrade from Hardware 2.5 to Hardware 3.0 – but both of those visits were free. If we just look at the numbers, it is easy to see why maintenance costs are so small. There are 30-50 moving parts in the Tesla two engines and driveshaft, whereas there is something like 500 plus moving parts in a normal ICE vehicle -- thus more than ten times the things to break: hoses, oil, fluids, clamps, exhaust, fanbelt and all the other stuff.

RANGE
The topic of Range and Range Anxiety is so off target. It has never been an issue whether in normal driving around town or on long drives. For normal day-to-day driving, I charge at home with the normal 240 outlet – it is ready to go in the morning for hundreds of miles. I have taken long-distant trips to Florida, Colorado, Arizona, New Orlean and even to the corn fields of Iowa for “Field of Dreams” game – never an issue with finding a Tesla Supercharger. On long trips, I normally stop every three hours to stretch my legs and get a cup of coffee – so anywhere from 150 to 225 miles. At first there were not many Superchargers so one had to map things out and the chargers were only 72kw power – so sometimes it was 45 minutes or more to get back on the road, so Netflix was important to have on the cabin screen. Now with the 250kw Superchargers, one gets 200 miles charge in about 20 minutes so I rarely stop for longer than 25 minutes unless I need to check the internet or read/send more work or personal emails. The key to fast Supercharging stops is to go from 10/20 percent of battery capacity to 80 percent as that takes about 20 minutes on my Model 3 – an extra 10 minutes to go 90 per cent. There is no reason to charge to 100 percent unless it is absolutely necessary. In addition to Tesla Superchargers, there are Destination Hotels where one can charge for free overnight – could be a Holiday Inn, Hilton, or whatever. Even ski resorts like Steamboat Springs have Destination Hotels. I did have one issue on the Utah/Arizona border this past March as I wanted to spend more time driving around in Monument Valley where there are no Superchargers. There was a nearby RV Camper stop nearby with 240 outlets, so I just hooked up the car and all was fine though I did look a bit funny with all those campers.

Originally, the car was listed with a 310 miles range but that was for the 18-inch tires, not my 19-inch sport wheels so even new it was closer to 300 miles – and even that is also not a real number if one likes to drive at 80mph on the Interstate highways. One will lose 10 or 20 percent of range with fast driving, or if it is very cold outside, and other reasons like climbing mountains and wind -- but that does not matter either. It is pretty impossible to run out of battery charge as the car will tell you to slow down or stop at the next Supercharger. Additionally, electric batteries will lose power over time, so I am now at 285 miles of range but that is still plenty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years or 125,000 miles not to lose more than 30 percent of its original range. And, actually, it appears that my car is more efficient through software upgrades so my range is pretty close to where I was when I bought it new. And, if one drives at a moderate 60-65 mph, the car is very efficient.

CHARGING, it is best to charge at home but you will need a separate 220/240 outlet. You can plug it directly into a $20 NEMA 15-50 outlet, or install a Tesla or third-party home charger. Either way , you get 30-40 miles of range in one hour, so more than 250 miles of range or more while you are sleeping. It’s cheap – about $10 for 400 miles of range in Washington, DC for example. If necessary and practical you can plug it into your 30 amp Dryer plug outlet. And yes, it is also possible to use a normal 110/120 plug in emergencies, but you will only get 3-5 miles of range in an hour. The installation cost for the NEMA or Tesla charger will be determined by how far the outlet is away from the breaker box -- 6 feet, about $250, 60 feet, expensive. Do not charge at Superchargers unless you are on the road or have no access to a 220 outlet. Supercharger rates vary from State to State, anywhere from $20 to $40 for 400 miles at present.

AUDIO and INTERIOR
The audio sound system is excellent – simply great sound from a bunch of speakers. The center screen is easy to navigate, but it would be better with a second screen in front of the driver. My guess is that BMW and others will have two screens, as does Tesla with the Model S and X. The seats are very comfortable. The Interior overall is very understated so no issues. One need not worry about theft as Sentry Mode activates the cameras if someone gets too close. My biggest gripe is that the Odometer is hidden under a few clicks on the center screen – it would be so easy to have it in plain view. Granted, perhaps old school but all signs on the road are in miles.

Onward to the next five,
PTB

View attachment 992336
Excellent informative review! Thanks!

Reactions: ptbenic
Great post. I just turned over 91k miles on my 2018 DM 3 and sentiments are the same. I've saved thousands on gas, have paid nothing in maintenance other than a few sets of tires (under the burden of my own wear and tear), spent a few grand to make it lighter and nicer looking, but otherwise it still feels like the same car as when I drove it off the lot. The degraded range is also a non-issue. Any kind of anxiety about that is offset by the fact Superchargers are popping up all the time. I can now go from Austin to Dallas or San Antonio with more options to charge along the way, including a Buccees with 48 stalls - perfect for a pit stop and getting Bucee'd out. I drove from Austin to San Antonio and back last weekend without having to charge once. I got home and plugged it right in. The convenience and importance of having a charging setup at home cannot be overstated.

Cheers to more years. I plan to drive mine atleast until the Performance refresh has matured and reduced prices.

SOFTWARE UPDATES

MAINTENANCE COSTS

RANGE

AUDIO and INTERIOR
The audio sound system is excellent – simply great sound from a bunch of speakers. The center screen is easy to navigate, but it would be better with a second screen in front of the driver. My guess is that BMW and others will have two screens, as does Tesla with the Model S and X. The seats are very comfortable. The Interior overall is very understated so no issues. One need not worry about theft as Sentry Mode activates the cameras if someone gets too close. My biggest gripe is that the Odometer is hidden under a few clicks on the center screen – it would be so easy to have it in plain view. Granted, perhaps old school but all signs on for the the road are in miles.

Onward to the next five,
PTB

View attachment 992336
Thank you for the detailed report. It was informative.👍

Reactions: ptbenic
Could you please provide battery degradation data either with time or with mileage. I just want to get a feeling for Li Ion battery life. Thanks
Apols, but never did any complex data stats on the battery. Did notice a dropoff of approximately 4 to 5%, after 9-12 months, then it evened out, and now after five years it is around 8% drop in the stated Range, but that seems to be balanced by greater efficiency even though my driving habits have not changed. That said, my guess would be that some Model 3s are better and some worse after five years. The guarantee is no more than 30% after 125,000 miles or 8 years.

We will see if FSD v12 comes when expected. If it does, it will be the worst time of year for where I live due to the snow, rain and ice.

It’s not misinformation when there are plenty of YouTubers - Dirty Tesla, for example - that test every version and demonstrate what it’s good at and what it’s not. Even then, the experience will differ depending on where you live and how much data Tesla has on that area. Less Teslas = less data.

There are petrol industry-funded campaigns working hard to dismiss the efficiency and effectiveness of moving to BEVs. It’s not just targeting Telsa, but the entire industry. That’s where the misinformation comes from.

Personally, I am not very comfortable with my car taking over. I love the normal Enhanced Autopilot features and appreciate the green light sound notifications, but hardly ever use lane-keep (or w/e they call it). Adaptive cruise control is a world-changer coming from vehicles that don’t have such a feature. I have FSD installed, but don’t really use it. Sometimes I’ll turn it on, on the highway for a few minutes just to try it out with new updates and it does okay in that scenario when the weather is good. A little rain and it starts misbehaving - the major downside of vision-only.

The audio is really good in my M3P. The primary issue I have is that I subscribe to Apple One to save money. I don’t use Spotify or Tidal. Telsa does not play well with Apple Music. So I experience all sorts of frustrations with the service. It can’t even remember the last song I was playing when I come out of the store half the time. People can blame the Apple Music APIs all they want, but it’s the car that’s deciding the overall experience. If the APIs are that bad, then just give me CarPlay options - but I digress. Tesla needs to improve the Apple Music experience. They completely overhauled Spotify this year. I’d like to see something similar for Apple Music in 2024.

I’ve driven over 12k miles in 6 months of ownership. Charging has never been an issue. I’ve ran across 3 instances where I either got slower than expected charging speeds or the specific terminal was having service issues and couldn’t charge my car.

I only experienced range anxiety once when my entire infotainment system glitched and started predicting very low state of charge on arrival of the next charger. I wasn’t aware of how to restart the system at that point and so things were pretty nerve racking until the system automatically restarted and recalculated my trip. Even with the glitch, I was able to turn of air and audio and make the most of regen to get from 3% SoC on arrival to 7%; before the system restarted and shot me up to the 20% range. If I had known more about what to do in that situation, it would’ve never been so stressful.

Even with semi-frequent long range trips, I mostly charge at home. With my current setup I’m getting 9-11kW speeds which gives me a decent boost every hour. Don’t remember # of miles as I usually go by percentage. It’s close to 10% per hour. I charge to 80% for daily, but don’t need to charge every day.

There’s a stenchy Musk that currently comes with owning a Tesla. I hope that changes in the near future. There’s a lot to like about them, despite all the negative word-of-mouth. There’s still build and material quality issues. Annoying squeaks and road noise as compared to other similarly-priced BEVs. There’s the Apple Music issues I’ve experienced. And for some reason my car doesn’t get Vampire Survivors (ಥ﹏ಥ). But overall a Tesla is a great BEV. They will need to make bigger changes to stay competitive as every other manufacturer adapts NACs and improves their lineups and scales up. They’ll make money as the primary charging network, but they will begin to see vehicle sales slip as the industry catches up over the next year or two. Whether I’m correct on these predictions will be determined over time. So, we’ll see…
Agree that there are some very good Tesla reviews on YouTube. I was referring to TV and newspaper stories, as it seems some of their tech writers have never driven a Tesla. As I live in DC, I would say some of the worst Tesla stories have been in the Washington Post -- their stories never put anything in context about AutoPilot and FSD, so I have to continue to explain it to neighbors and friends.

Additionally, with an emission-free vehicle, it no longer felt right to the climate to have a normal Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) car that adds 25 pounds of CO2 to the atmosphere for every 25 miles or one gallon of gas used.

....the Model 3 just a great driving vehicle!

These two things are at the top of my list as well. I'm not quite 2 years in but every time I have to drive, it feels a little like the first time in a go-cart. Click, hit the pedal and you're off. Love it. Put some fun back into driving after decades of dreadful commuting.

Could you please provide battery degradation data either with time or with mileage. I just want to get a feeling for Li Ion battery life. Thanks
I have a 2018 M3 DM with 100k miles with FSD. Lost 7%. When I am charging to 100% it show 288miles which I am getting if I stay 70m/h on interstate. I am assuming that a lot comes from optimized software. A couple of month ago I was at -12%. No idea what software version it was. Currently on 2023.27.7.
Overall I am very pleased with the M3. I just ordered a Model S as a second Tesla after I sold my BMW iX.

Reactions: Cjaysmom52
I have a 2018 M3 DM with 100k miles with FSD. Lost 7%. When I am charging to 100% it show 288miles which I am getting if I stay 70m/h on interstate. I am assuming that a lot comes from optimized software. A couple of month ago I was at -12%. No idea what software version it was. Currently on 2023.27.7.
Overall I am very pleased with the M3. I just ordered a Model S as a second Tesla after I sold my BMW iX.
Thank you for sharing info.

OP is TLDR. But here's my *almost* 5 year review:

• 100% dead nuts reliable. Zero maintenance, zero Fs given. Tires and a 12v battery, that's it.
  • My early 2019 SR+ with 90k miles has actually improved in range @ 80% charge in the last few months. Not sure if this was a software update or if I have some friendly battery gnomes sneaking into my garage and working on the car at night. Overall battery degradation has been pretty much negligible.
  • The car is still a hopelessly cheap rattle trap econobox despite lots of effort put into aftermarket suspension (multiple iterations) and lots of sound deadening. Loud and very uncivilized for a newer "semi-luxury" brand
  • $24k initial investment after state and federal tax credits. 90k miles later, I couldn't have picked a better car for overall cost of ownership. Even compared to my Chevy Volt, monthly fuel costs are about 1/3 what they were. About a quarter or a 5th of my old Lexus IS350 or Acura TL fuel cost.

I think we can all agree that the range on the Tesla is misleading, especially if you do freeway driving. So I wanted to quantify that. I define a Tmile as the miles shown in the car as opposed to the actual miles driven.
I find that if I drive my MY on a mix of mostly freeway miles at around 70 mph I get a ratio of Tmiles to real miles driven to be between 1.30 to 1.38. I also use all weather tire which dropped the range by 8%. If you use factory tires or equivalent you’d get 1.22 to 1.30 . The freeways I use are not particularly hilly. I do know that mountain driving is a different story.
I’m curious to find out what other drivers experience