Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think that petition was written by someone that wanted the petition to succeed, I have a bridge to sell you.
A dealer wouldn't mention good gross margin for Tesla.
A dealer would encourage other employees at the dealership to sign.
It was obviously written by a pro-Tesla shill and the link only given out in places that are overwhelmingly pro-Tesla.

and it's still funny. :)

I don't know who it was written by, but you would be surprised how out of reality some of these dealers can be. I have seen some who think that that they have some sort of "right" to Tesla's profits. Then others claiming Tesla is a monopoly because they have a monopoly of selling Tesla cars. And they think dealers who compete with each other is a form of free market competition.

So you never know...

While the pro-Tesla petition succeeded in getting the 100k signatures, its not likely to go anywhere because the states will view their right to control commerce as a 'state's rights' issue. I don't imagine that the Obama administration is looking for another fight right now.

While the pro-Tesla petition succeeded in getting the 100k signatures, its not likely to go anywhere because the states will view their right to control commerce as a 'state's rights' issue. I don't imagine that the Obama administration is looking for another fight right now.

Since its inception the United States Constitution has had an interstate commerce clause. It's purpose was to make clear that free interstate commerce is not a "state's rights" issue. The clause makes it a federal issue and seeks to insure that attempts by states to circumvent it will be thwarted by the federal government.

Fights are part of the job for a president and his administration. Fear of a fight should not deter them from doing their duty. I suspect they won't hide from this one.

I believe the White House will 'chime in' on this one. It is one of the cornerstones of the current administrations 'green initiative'. Also, Tesla has positioned themselves well here. They are getting advertising without having to spend money AND they are hoping that the Feds will take on the states using interstate commerce laws which will free up legal time and money that they would have to put forth for a lawsuit in every state that opposes direct sales.

I believe the White House will 'chime in' on this one. It is one of the cornerstones of the current administrations 'green initiative'. Also, Tesla has positioned themselves well here. They are getting advertising without having to spend money AND they are hoping that the Feds will take on the states using interstate commerce laws which will free up legal time and money that they would have to put forth for a lawsuit in every state that opposes direct sales.

I think you're right. Tesla has gotten so much good press. They are becoming a point of pride for Americans. As the Motor Trend cover wrote, Tesla is proof that America can still make great things. It's an innovative car built by a silicon valley company run by a Maverick CEO who's life defines the American dream. They are kick starting the electric car revolution, something that could lead to cleaner air, less reliance on imported oil, and (dare I say it) American cars being exported abroad.

So then you have the dealership owners who are hated, no loathed, by most people. They are trying to suppress innovation and preserve their business model - one which consumers mistrust.

So PR-wise, the dealers are totally screwed. Fighting this battle is a loser for them and I suspect they would have been better accepting the compromises Musk offered them (e.g. in Texas Musk offered to go the dealership route once sales of Teslas exceeded 5,000 units annually). As it is, they are likely hastening the end of their business model.

White House Petition

Folks don't think the President is going to say or do anything substantive or actually actionable as a result of the petition, do they? I mean, something that would actually even get on the radar of Wall St.? I suspect he'll issue some pleasant-sounding soundbite and then get right back to fracking, droning, etc. :)

Folks don't think the President is going to say or do anything substantive or actually actionable as a result of the petition, do they? I mean, something that would actually even get on the radar of Wall St.? I suspect he'll issue some pleasant-sounding soundbite and then get right back to fracking, droning, etc. :)

I don't want to get too deep into politics here but I haven't expected much from this president in a long time. He had my support at one point but his actions and lack of a spine made me changed my opinion about him and his administration. With that said, I think we'll get the usual press statement prepared by some lowly staffer for the sake of addressing the petition with "we're looking into the matter" written in there. Will there be anything of substance and real action be taken? I highly doubt it. And like you said, it will be back to business as usual with these guys, so much for change and moving forward..... :frown:

With regards to the white house petition, I'm actually very worried that the current administration will side with the big auto unions and dealer association, and not with Tesla. It's all about the money....

Money by siding with the dealers and unions, but reputation for being "clean" by siding with the only company who paid off the DOE loan and is actually making "fuel efficient" vehicles and had over 100,000 constituents sign a petition for...Which side to choose? As of right now he is choosing neither, and maybe it will stay that way.

For the petition, win-win would be Elon requesting a sit-down with Obama. Tesla is Obama's signature "green investment" victory, and Elon has a halo about him at the moment. They can have a photo-op and then Obama announces his request to the commerce department to investigate the legality of the dealer laws. I can dream anyway...

It is taking @$$ long for the White House to respond. I hope we get a good spike on good response. Anybody want to take a good guess when we pass $184.48, how much dumping would happen? 10-15%? I think we'll have a decent chance of hitting $184.48 first than 20 consecutive days of > $161.88.