Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
haha, yeah, that's what I thought as well. But easiest is not necessarily the most important. The WH responds to a Hollywood/Media/tv show requests vs. a real world problem.....

I didn't say anything about the easiest being the most important. :wink: The Jimmy Kimmel thing probably took about five seconds to draft and get off the plate. The Tesla response...not so much. It could potentially open a big, ole can of ugly.

There are dozens of regulations that the HHS is required -- as in mandatory -- to write for the ACA that have yet to be even drafted, and that law, the signature piece of legislation for this President, was passed in early 2010. We are going on nearly four years ago and still these regs have yet to be written (let alone implemented or enforced). If those critical pieces of enacting his signature legislation are yet to surface, I'm not holding by breath that responding to this petition is anywhere on this President's radar, despite the support green industries and voters gave him in both Presidential elections.

I'm not holding by breath that responding to this petition is anywhere on this President's radar, despite the support green industries and voters gave him in both Presidential elections.

Yeah, well, I voted for him twice and not happy on his decisions on this topic of going green. He's got two years left and then he's done. He needs to stop the Keystone pipeline and doing something by really advancing the EV market, which would make a great legacy marker.

When will the White House respond to our petition?

Mr. Obama was really good about responding to my emails when he was the junior US senator from my state of Illinois. It was often obvious that his replies were were not boiler plated. Of course he now has far more constituents and monumental issues with which to deal. The petition to the White House has to do with disallowing mandatory selling and servicing through dealerships. The senior senator from Illinois (and majority whip) was Obama's mentor and initial proponent of putting him in the White House. I wrote Mr. Durbin regarding this issue. He originally replied that this is a state matter and I should contact my state legislators. I rebutted that it is also a federal matter due to the interstate commerce clause of the US constitution, and that federal legislation would be helpful in enforcing that clause. Today I received the email seen below in response to my argument. The first line repeats verbatim some of my words, so it is not a purely boiler plated comment.

January 16, 2014

Mr. Curt Renz
(address lines deleted)

Dear Mr. Renz:

Thank you for contacting me with your ideas regarding federal legislation removing requirements for electric vehicles to only be sold and serviced at franchised dealerships. I appreciate hearing from you.

It is very helpful to me to hear from constituents across the state on the issues that matter most to them. Your suggestions are thoughtful and deserve further consideration.

My staff will review your correspondence and keep it in mind in case this issue is considered further in the Senate. Many of the bills I have introduced during my time in Congress have originated from ideas sent to me by constituents.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact my office again about issues before the United States Senate.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ab

Here's a translation:

"Dear Mr. Renz,

Thank you for your letter, and for the countless hours that you must have expended in pursuing and championing this Petition. Unfortunately, right now, although the issue is one that clearly would be within the power of the federal government to legislate and regulate as necessary to ensure that there is no inappropriate state restrictions on interstate commerce, the President and I do not want to take a stand on this issue, or any other issue if that would mean potentially taking a position contrary to other domestic car manufacturers and their dealers' associations. These other auto manufacturers and their dealers' unions could potentially provide more campaign contributions in future elections, so we are wary of taking a firm stand that might upset them even if that is inconsistent with the President's prior support of Tesla. The President and I will continue to delay and avoid taking hard stands on issues like this as long as possible, lest we create an unnecessary risk of losing the support of donors who may tip future elections in our favor. If at some future time we determine that it is politically expedient for the President to take action on your Peitition, you will have my support as well. Until then, we will continue the charade that this current administration is interested in transparency and providing a true voice to the People by publicly maintaining that petitions like this are valuable and can truly shape our democracy while privately doing everything we can to ignore them in the hope that they would just go away and let us continue business as usual.

Sincerely yours,

Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator"

Mr. Obama was really good about responding to my emails when he was the junior US senator from my state of Illinois. It was often obvious that his replies were were not boiler plated. Of course he now has far more constituents and monumental issues with which to deal. The petition to the White House has to do with disallowing mandatory selling and servicing through dealerships. The senior senator from Illinois (and majority whip) was Obama's mentor and initial proponent of putting him in the White House. I wrote Mr. Durbin regarding this issue. He originally replied that this is a state matter and I should contact my state legislators. I rebutted that it is also a federal matter due to the interstate commerce clause of the US constitution, and that federal legislation would be helpful in enforcing that clause. Today I received the email seen below in response to my argument. The first line repeats verbatim some of my words, so it is not a purely boiler plated comment.

January 16, 2014

Mr. Curt Renz
(address lines deleted)

Dear Mr. Renz:

Thank you for contacting me with your ideas regarding federal legislation removing requirements for electric vehicles to only be sold and serviced at franchised dealerships. I appreciate hearing from you.

It is very helpful to me to hear from constituents across the state on the issues that matter most to them. Your suggestions are thoughtful and deserve further consideration.

My staff will review your correspondence and keep it in mind in case this issue is considered further in the Senate. Many of the bills I have introduced during my time in Congress have originated from ideas sent to me by constituents.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please feel free to contact my office again about issues before the United States Senate.

Sincerely,
Richard J. Durbin
United States Senator

RJD/ab

Thats great. I'm really glad we have people like you who are in the political world that want to move the EV movement foward.

Yea Turtle . . . oh wait . . . never mind :rolleyes:

edit: you are right, but so is Curt. Progress takes waaaay too long for all kinds of stupid reasons BUT the arc of history will bend in our favor.

Yes, progress does take time, sometimes. Sometimes it just takes our elected officials realizing that they will be on the wrong side of history for them to take the appropriate action and commit to it. We all need to keep the pressure on, and my hat is off to Curt for his persistence.

Last week I emailed the White House, the Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission asking when we would receive a response to last year's petition that is the subject of this thread. Moments ago I received the following email from the FTC:

Thank you for your email. It has been forwarded to appropriate Commission staff members for review.

Alan Friedman