Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still want to know why a respectable publication like Motor Trend would Photoshop a rotation/motion effect onto wheels that are CLEARLY not actually moving...Especially when those wheels are one of the most visually iconic details of the Model S!

What annoys me about some publications (Motor Trend included) is that they treat the Model S options as different cars entirely. With other cars they might say "Base price: $60k, Configured: $95k", whereas when listing the Model S Performance they say something like "Base price: $95k, Configured: $96k" rather than listing the true base price of $58k. I think this might be the reason why a whole bunch of people think the Model S is a $100k+ car when that really isn't the case.

.... With other cars they might say "Base price: $60k, Configured: $95k", whereas when listing the Model S Performance they say something like "Base price: $95k, Configured: $96k" rather than listing the true base price of $58k.....

I don' t disagree. But probably no other car has every been offered with three different sized gas tanks. Certainly no car has had three ranges before. A new language is necessary.

I don' t disagree. But probably no other car has every been offered with three different sized gas tanks. Certainly no car has had three ranges before. A new language is necessary.
I don't think a "new language" is necessary here. Let's take an example.

2013 BMW 3-Series Prices, Specs & Reviews - Motor Trend Magazine

BMW 3 series.
$36,500 - $60,800

Wouldn't they say "base price $36,500" even though there are 12 different engine flavors?

I don't think a "new language" is necessary here. Let's take an example.

2013 BMW 3-Series Prices, Specs & Reviews - Motor Trend Magazine

BMW 3 series.
$36,500 - $60,800

Wouldn't they say "base price $36,500" even though there are 12 different engine flavors?

The different battery sizes are dissimilar enough in terms of range and fuel economy to justify separation. I can agree with that, and Motor Trend's website thinks the same way, listing the Model S base price as $77k and going up to $105k with options. But something like a Performance or Signature models? They aren't different cars at all, just the same car with a more powerful powertrain or added features.

It was because they tested a Sig and in that case the base price is $95k or whatever. If/when they test a GP car they can list the base at 57,500, as-tested, whatever. One could also make the case that the Perf model is unique. When they test a BMW M5 they list the base price of an M5, not a 528i.

While I'm sure it's uncommon, there are vehicles that come with different size gas tanks depending upon options selected. For instance, the 1/2 ton Suburban comes with a 30 gallon tank while my 3/4 ton has a 40 gallon version.

To my mind the cleanest way to discuss Model S is to say that it comes in four variations (40, 60, 85 and Performance) and to simply leave the Signature series out of it. They've been sold out for months.

I love MotorTrend

I have always been suspicious that magazines reward companies who advertise with them by giving them the accolades and I have to say that I'm not only impressed but also grateful that MotorTrend apparently doesn't do this because Tesla doesn't advertise. I may not have had the courage to buy a Model S had it not won the MT Car of the Year award.

Here's hoping the Model X wins too.

I see Tesla mentioned in MotorTrend news all the time too. Keep up the good work MT!