Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015-17 Dual Motor S charging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good to hear. So a 20-30 min Charge at low end will give you how many miles? I'm good with a 20 min stop if it gets me 2.5 hours of Highway at 70
Thanks
I don't supercharge often enough to be able to rattle off numbers from memory, unfortunately. :(

You can use A Better Route Planner to estimate travel/charging times though (you can select exactly which vehicle / battery you're looking at).

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and 4hourrule
I'm good with a 20 min stop if it gets me 2.5 hours of Highway at 70
Thanks
I don’t think 175 miles of real range in 20 minutes is realistic.

These are totally off the cuff estimates but my 2016 S75 would go from 10% to 60% in about 20 minutes under ideal conditions.

That was about 100 miles of real driving range for me in most circumstances.

• Helpful
Reactions: 4hourrule
That's good to hear. So a 20-30 min Charge at low end will give you how many miles? I'm good with a 20 min stop if it gets me 2.5 hours of Highway at 70
Thanks
I have a June 2016 75D. To drive 2.5 hours at 70 mph would be 175 miles, which would take about 80% battery. For me, charging from nearly 0% to 80% would probably take about 50 minutes, and charging from 0% to 40% takes about 15 minutes, so most people will do these shallow charges more often than the one-long charging session. It's annoying to charge so frequently, but it's a more time-efficient method for these older Teslas. When my family actually stops to eat, that's the only time I'll charge for long periods of time. I love my car but it's not the best for road trips over 200 miles but it came with free supercharging so that's the only reason why we don't take my wife's Model 3 that has much faster charging and more range.

Yep, have seen those comments on most EVs. Usually it's 15-20 min at low SOC while charging is high, then off to next Charger. These older Teslas have really been strangled. I finally drove a Tesla (2015 S85D) couple weeks ago and liked it. Mother's not doing well so am driving from VA to MD often. Thought it would be good time for EV (BMW requires High Test fuel) and older S are going cheap, but with Charging that slow instead of 3hrs it would be 4. VW ID4 is looking better Used. More features too.

Yep, have seen those comments on most EVs. Usually it's 15-20 min at low SOC while charging is high, then off to next Charger. These older Teslas have really been strangled. I finally drove a Tesla (2015 S85D) couple weeks ago and liked it. Mother's not doing well so am driving from VA to MD often. Thought it would be good time for EV (BMW requires High Test fuel) and older S are going cheap, but with Charging that slow instead of 3hrs it would be 4. VW ID4 is looking better Used. More features too.
The Electrify America (EA) charging network is a joke. My friend has a Mach-E and tells me it's a nightmare going on road trips because the EA stations are always down. Tesla's greatest strength is the supercharging network. Maybe consider a 2020 and up Model 3? I see them going for $25-$30k all over the place.

Kinda wonder if they should put a Time limit on each SuperCharge of 30 min per location so you no longer see "Parked" EVs when there are so many waiting to Charge. That all Brands of SuperChargers... I'm looking at you ID4 and Bolt Owners.
...and I don't even have a EV yet.