Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there's a way to know the percentage of all 2012-2015 Model S's that have had their battery packs replaced, but I'm curious about the owners here on TMC. In addition to answering the poll, if you want to provide any amplifying information such as miles, rated range at 100%, etc., feel free to post that as well.

I'm still on the original pack with my 2015 Model S 85D ~78k miles and only ~202 miles at 100% charge.

2015 70D, original pack, original owner. Over 160k miles and almost no supercharging. Currently have 197 miles rated range remaining from spec new of 240 miles, which equals 18% degradation. Maybe I need to start supercharging.

Original pack, 2015 Model S 70, about 40k miles, 100% charge is 243 miles. It was maybe 246 miles when new in warm weather, so basically no degradation is being reported.
That's something! I have never heard anything like that before. The S 70 was rated for 230 miles when new (70D was 240 rated miles). So your battery started out with way more than rated range and has hardly degraded at all. Do you have any SMT data you can show? I'd be curious to see what the nominal full pack is on that.
There are some super batteries out there that don't seem to ever degrade, but yours is the most impressive I've heard about yet.

No offense, but numbers on the dash don't mean a whole lot. You really need the usable/nominal capacity from the BMS.

How so? Isn't the rated range on the display based on the battery capacity being reported? I'm assuming "from the BMS" you're referring to the information you can get using something like TM-Spy. At least in my experience, I've found the displayed rated range to match what is being reported by TM-Spy if you do the conversion from nominal pack full in kWh to rated range. It's been a while since I've looked at this but that was the same others were reporting from what I remember.

That's something! I have never heard anything like that before. The S 70 was rated for 230 miles when new (70D was 240 rated miles). So your battery started out with way more than rated range and has hardly degraded at all. Do you have any SMT data you can show? I'd be curious to see what the nominal full pack is on that.
There are some super batteries out there that don't seem to ever degrade, but yours is the most impressive I've heard about yet.
No, I don't have any extra data unfortunately.
Yes, the car started with more range than spec. I've checked that I am looking at rated range, not ideal. Unlike most others, my predicted (EPA) range and my actual range are spot-on exact in good weather. I've verified that the battery sticker identifies the battery as a 70. (I thought maybe they had stopped making 70s at that point and I got a 85. Nope.) I've driven it down to 5% and it didn't shut down. The numbers are consistent through the years. It actually makes me nervous, as in "too good to be true". My warranty runs out this month, so I hope I didn't jinx it by talking about it. :)

My 2015 70D has about 69,000 miles and no known battery problems. I never charge it to 100% (well, maybe once or twice in past years but not recently) and do not know what the GOM would say the range is (I would not believe it anyway ;)). In my first year of ownership, I had no home charging ability so I regularly used a nearby Supercharger (back in the old days before anyone told us that we shouldn't), so I suspect my charging rate may be throttled. When I do use a Supercharger, I never seem to get as much as 100 kW.
About 18 months ago, I took a trip of 400 miles or so and tried to get an estimate of the battery degradation by tracking the charging and extrapolating what a full charge would be, and it seemed to be only a few percent less than the initial rated 240, but I would not swear that my method was accurate.
I guess you could say that I do not worry too much about it and don't take enough long trips to have the opportunity to do a good capacity test (the way someone like Tesla Bjorn recommends, e.g.).