Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles on original battery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The batteries tend to fail by age rather than mileage.

People seem to fixate on mileage and mileage does seem to correlate somewhat with degradation.

But we are seeing failures which is relatively independent of degradation. There has been some conjecture that low mileage but old batteries are more at risk than old batteries with higher mileage. But that is how independent they are - that some might think there is an inverse coorelation (and I am not discounting the possibility entirely - I just don't think we have enough data).

2015 - 110k miles. Original battery and original two DU's. Warranty expired 2 weeks ago.
No major repairs. Most expensive thing was MCU2 which is not a repair per se. Otherwise battery heater which was like $850.
Range is 216 from 240 so 10% degradation.

How many miles you you?? I’m at 86k 2015 85D

How many of you are running your model S out of warranty ?

New owner..just a feeler. I see so many horror stories online, making it seem like battery replacement is around the corner. But I would imagine there are plenty of 100k+ model S on the road with original batteries
Holly crap!

I'm at 120k miles on my 2017 S75 RWD on the original battery. No problems yet. My battery warranty expires on Sept. 2025.

The batteries tend to fail by age rather than mileage.

People seem to fixate on mileage and mileage does seem to correlate somewhat with degradation.

But we are seeing failures which is relatively independent of degradation. There has been some conjecture that low mileage but old batteries are more at risk than old batteries with higher mileage. But that is how independent they are - that some might think there is an inverse coorelation (and I am not discounting the possibility entirely - I just don't think we have enough data).

2015 - 110k miles. Original battery and original two DU's. Warranty expired 2 weeks ago.
No major repairs. Most expensive thing was MCU2 which is not a repair per se. Otherwise battery heater which was like $850.
Range is 216 from 240 so 10% degradation.
Thanks for the reply. Plan on keeping after warranty?

Thanks for the reply. Plan on keeping after warranty?
Maybe if there will be more aftermarket battery available for it. I kinda leaning on the Hyundai Ionic 6 with 361 miles range and extremely fast charging. You can get roughly 230 miles of charge in 10 mins from a SoC of 20%. It supports up to 350kw charging using CCS.

Cool thing about it is that there will be more aftermarket parts for it. And, probably higher quality build than Tesla's parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerodyne
Maybe if there will be more aftermarket battery available for it. I kinda leaning on the Hyundai Ionic 6 with 361 miles range and extremely fast charging. You can get roughly 230 miles of charge in 10 mins from a SoC of 20%. It supports up to 350kw charging using CCS.

Cool thing about it is that there will be more aftermarket parts for it. And, probably higher quality build than Tesla's parts.

Are you considering the options from Recell and 057 tech?

Reactions: Rocky_H
December 2014 build 85, with 270k miles on it. Original battery, third drive unit. But that drive units been in it since about 75k. We bought it at 38k. Still seems to be running great! I'm only selling it because that car gets lower and lower the older I get! We finally bought a used X and so we're selling the S. But I also have the 057 tech warranty.

December 2014 build 85, with 270k miles on it. Original battery, third drive unit. But that drive units been in it since about 75k. We bought it at 38k. Still seems to be running great! I'm only selling it because that car gets lower and lower the older I get! We finally bought a used X and so we're selling the S. But I also have the 057 tech warranty.
Very nice. Why has the DU been replaced 2x? Did it just randomly fail or did you feel it slowly failing?

Very nice. Why has the DU been replaced 2x? Did it just randomly fail or did you feel it slowly failing?

Both times under warranty, so at Tesla's expansion and initiation. The first time it was making the grinding noise. The second time we were driving across country, in the middle of New Mexico at the time, when it gave a high voltage may not restart error. Called roadside and they said to try to make it to the Salt lake city service center, which we did without any problems or any more error messages. They couldn't find anything else and concluded it must be the drive unit, so they put a brand new one in. I think that earlier one was rebuilt. Anyway, apparently the new models last pretty much forever.

2017 S75D 85,000 miles - on original battery. Under warranty until February 2015. Planning to keep beyond warranty with 057 battery replacement program as I am right next door to them.

I get 225 miles at 100% charge so about 13% degradation.

March 2015 P85D with 89k miles and original battery. I’m worried about battery failure, but plan to keep driving it and decide if I replace the battery or the car when/if it fails. While many have failed, it is very hard to know the fraction which have failed and hence the likelihood that mine will fail.

My P85D upgraded to Ludicrous has the original battery and both drive units at well over 200K. Just texted the guy I sold it to get the current update on mileage. I got the BMS error that said I exceeded 2500 WOT count which prior to v10 required a battery replacement after hitting the counter. I just barely missed the cutoff and rather than replacing the battery, they told I had to update my v8.1 firmware to get rid of the error which I did when I did the infotainment MCU2 upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: Raroia and aerodyne
What causes the LDU to go? Car still under warranty for this even at 114k miles & 2014?
Gruber Motors does a lot of out of warranty replacements. Root cause is an under-specified bearing seal. Coolant seeps into the motor after sufficient seal wear. Gruber installs a different seal that doesn’t leak.

This also hits old Toyota RAV4s and MB vehicles built with Tesla drive unit.