Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles on original battery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I no longer own this car, but here is what I know.

July 2015 85D, with rerouted AC drain from factory. Leased to owner in SoCal. No evidence from SMT that it was ever SuC.

Sold to me as CPO in Oct '15 with only 19k miles. Extremely clean, probably seldom parked outside.

Saw rain only a few times. Dry climate, always under cover between trips. Extreme care in charging (23-77% usually) and driving, always chill mode, above 93% 5 times. Never below 19.5%

Contactors failed May 2020. SvC had to open the pack rear to replace. Concern about sealing, but boroscope of rapid mate inconclusive.

Replaced front driveshaft just before warranty expired. Disaster. Failed seals in 2 days with ATF all over the car. Brought back three times to get it cleaned. Probable use of pressure washer.

Sold on Oct 22, 63k miles. Over 75KwH, 260 miles RR out of 270. Best of fleet in Teslafi. Weak module No 2, but delta V like 10-20mv at rest.

A year ago, pack threw BMS errors and failed in garage of new owner at about 66k miles. Replaced pack under warranty with reman.

So maybe calendar ageing, or moisture with time, and subsequent corrosion are a thing.

Or maybe the SvC effed up with poor sealing and pressure washing.

I guess I'll never know.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I no longer own this car, but here is what I know.

July 2015 85D, with rerouted AC drain from factory. Leased to owner in SoCal. No evidence from SMT that it was ever SuC.

Sold to me as CPO in Oct '15 with only 19k miles. Extremely clean, probably seldom parked outside.

Saw rain only a few times. Dry climate, always under cover between trips. Extreme care in charging (23-77% usually) and driving, always chill mode, above 93% 5 times. Never below 19.5%

Contactors failed May 2020. SvC had to open the pack rear to replace. Concern about sealing, but boroscope of rapid mate inconclusive.

Replaced front driveshaft just before warranty expired. Disaster. Failed seals in 2 days with ATF all over the car. Brought back three times to get it cleaned. Probable use of pressure washer.

Sold on Oct 22, 63k miles. Over 75KwH, 260 miles RR out of 270. Best of fleet in Teslafi. Weak module No 2, but delta V like 10-20mv at rest.

A year ago, pack threw BMS errors and failed in garage of new owner at about 66k miles. Replaced pack under warranty with reman.

So maybe calendar ageing, or moisture with time, and subsequent corrosion are a thing.

Or maybe the SvC effed up with poor sealing and pressure washing.

I guess I'll never know.

Yep, we may never know. Whoever opened the pack could have done an inspection to search for evidence, but it is rare that we ever hear definitive proof. I'm not saying Service Advisors are told to flat-out lie to us, but they are in the field of customer service and assuring the customer while protecting the brand is a motivation to diplomatically paint the scenario in the most acceptable way for the customer to take in.

As someone who has had their car in for about $10K of warranty work including a drive unit, HV contactors, HVAC drain hose retrofit, gen 2 TPMS retrofit, & rear windshield defroster replacement I can say it these components don't last forever and didn't seem to have too much long-term testing for longevity before production. Our car is garaged, gets thorough washed twice a year, and sees about 20 days of rain a year. I'm knocking on wood that our 137K mile/10 year old battery pack keeps on chugging.

Yep, we may never know. Whoever opened the pack could have done an inspection to search for evidence, but it is rare that we ever hear definitive proof. I'm not saying Service Advisors are told to flat-out lie to us, but they are in the field of customer service and assuring the customer while protecting the brand is a motivation to diplomatically paint the scenario in the most acceptable way for the customer to take in.

As someone who has had their car in for about $10K of warranty work including a drive unit, HV contactors, HVAC drain hose retrofit, gen 2 TPMS retrofit, & rear windshield defroster replacement I can say it these components don't last forever and didn't seem to have too much long-term testing for longevity before production. Our car is garaged, gets thorough washed twice a year, and sees about 20 days of rain a year. I'm knocking on wood that our 137K mile/10 year old battery pack keeps on chugging.

My Dad was an auto mechanics instructor, and shop owner, for many years. He used to say only his worst students went to car dealers. The best ones always went to independent shops.

Once we finally do get independent repair on Tesla's, we'll finally have the service we need.

I do miss the old days when Tesla service was great!

My Dad was an auto mechanics instructor, and shop owner, for many years. He used to say only his worst students went to car dealers. The best ones always went to independent shops.

Once we finally do get independent repair on Tesla's, we'll finally have the service we need.

I do miss the old days when Tesla service was great!

Great Dad! Dealership hides the incompetence by using the parts cannon on the customers causing them the jack up their service charges. Making excuses that they so and so extra to have it fixed. No true diagnostics skills.

December 2014 build 85, with 270k miles on it. Original battery, third drive unit. But that drive units been in it since about 75k. We bought it at 38k. Still seems to be running great! I'm only selling it because that car gets lower and lower the older I get! We finally bought a used X and so we're selling the S. But I also have the 057 tech warranty.
Do you still have the S? If so, could you post a picture of the HV battery label? I also have a Dec’14 S with 126k miles and original battery, Rev E. I would like to track mileage of similar original battery Revisions.

Do you still have the S? If so, could you post a picture of the HV battery label? I also have a Dec’14 S with 126k miles and original battery, Rev E. I would like to track mileage of similar original battery Revisions.

I would love to show you a picture the label, but, unfortunately, the Tesla service reps scraped it off when they were trying to get the battery back in after they had to pull it out for some service. I didn't notice it till a few days later. I think it's a rev D, but I could be wrong. It's been a long time since I look at that label!

I do not own the car, I sold it to my brother. He loves it! I love my new x. :)

I have a 2012 Model S with original battery and motor. 138,000+ miles on car. Lost around 10% of range over the last 12 years. I’m in Georgia.

Early on, I ran the battery to zero several times due to inexperience and lack of SuperChargers. But the car kept running until I was able to made it to a charger. Back in January 2024, I was cutting it close again. Less than a mile away from charging and 4 miles left on the battery. But the car shut down. Had to get a tow and jump start the charging session by jump starting the 12 volt battery. Chalked it up as another lesson learned.

Several weeks later, I started getting a permanent error message saying, “Acceleration reduced, Performance may be reduced on next drive”. Car was still drivable and I made a service appointment. I get the impression, the fix is to basically clean up the battery and replace some terminal connectors.

But this is where it gets weird. As I am dropping the car off, the service managers go into this whole conversion with me that the fix might not last long and I should trade it in. Also saying a new battery is around $18,000, car isn’t worth it. Like driving a 12 year old computer., etc, etc. I was kinda surprised at their feedback as these are 2 long-term service managers that I have worked with for a long time.

So that feedback threw me into a whole bunch of different thoughts, made me look at new & used Teslas and made me wonder about their motives where for this exchange. Still haven’t come to any conclusion. I guess I am posting here to vent a little bit and for other people’s thoughts.

I have a 2012 Model S with original battery and motor. 138,000+ miles on car. Lost around 10% of range over the last 12 years. I’m in Georgia.

Early on, I ran the battery to zero several times due to inexperience and lack of SuperChargers. But the car kept running until I was able to made it to a charger. Back in January 2024, I was cutting it close again. Less than a mile away from charging and 4 miles left on the battery. But the car shut down. Had to get a tow and jump start the charging session by jump starting the 12 volt battery. Chalked it up as another lesson learned.

Several weeks later, I started getting a permanent error message saying, “Acceleration reduced, Performance may be reduced on next drive”. Car was still drivable and I made a service appointment. I get the impression, the fix is to basically clean up the battery and replace some terminal connectors.

But this is where it gets weird. As I am dropping the car off, the service managers go into this whole conversion with me that the fix might not last long and I should trade it in. Also saying a new battery is around $18,000, car isn’t worth it. Like driving a 12 year old computer., etc, etc. I was kinda surprised at their feedback as these are 2 long-term service managers that I have worked with for a long time.

So that feedback threw me into a whole bunch of different thoughts, made me look at new & used Teslas and made me wonder about their motives where for this exchange. Still haven’t come to any conclusion. I guess I am posting here to vent a little bit and for other people’s thoughts.
What were the actual error codes on the alert tab?

2012 P85 owner here. Your experience is consistent with others I've heard, specifically Tesla Service Center employees communicating that our older cars are not worth keeping on the road. In fact I know of another gentleman that has a Model S Founders #6 that got the same advice after needing an out of warranty pack replacement. Perhaps for those Tesla employees these comments reflect a true feeling based on repair costs and/or push to sell new cars.

In my case, I paid $27k for mine in Oct 2022 from the original owner. I've since spent more than that for both new (not reman) pack and RDU, PTC heater and MCU2 upgrade. Given my current transportation needs and financial situation, keeping my #2446 on the road is a hobby/priority. Costing over $100k to the original owner, it still is in excellent shape in and out, has free unlimited supercharging and connectivity for life, etc, etc.

It's the first car, since graduating college 40 years ago that I just make excuses to drive.

And yes, I fully realize, given the current market, that's there's no way I will be able to recoup my repair costs if I were to total the car or try to sell.

Lastly, my mission to keep her on the road has come to fruition from, oddly, myriad Tesla employees. When I show them #2446 they marvel with complimentary comments like "this is how they used to make them, wow a sunroof, look how big that frunk is, and it's like a time capsule."

PS - there is some anecdotal evidence that, with experiences like you describe and 3 recent FUSC4LIFE transfer offers, that Tesla is trying to eliminate as many FUSC4LIFE cars as possible.

Redacted Original Invoice.jpg

Last edited:
2012 P85 owner here. Your experience is consistent with others I've heard, specifically Tesla Service Center employees communicating that our older cars are not worth keeping on the road. In fact I know of another gentleman that has a Model S Founders #6 that got the same advice after needing an out of warranty pack replacement. Perhaps for those Tesla employees these comments reflect a true feeling based on repair costs and/or push to sell new cars.

In my case, I paid $27k for mine in Oct 2022 from the original owner. I've since spent more than that for both new (not reman) pack and RDU, PTC heater and MCU2 upgrade. Given my current transportation needs and financial situation, keeping my #2446 on the road is a hobby/priority. Costing over $100k to the original owner, it still is in excellent shape in and out, has free unlimited supercharging and connectivity for life, etc, etc.

It's the first car, since graduating college 40 years ago that I just make excuses to drive.

And yes, I fully realize, given the current market, that's there's no way I will be able to recoup my repair costs if I were to total the car or try to sell.

Lastly, my mission to keep her on the road has come to fruition from, oddly, myriad Tesla employees. When I show them #2446 they marvel with complimentary comments like "this is how they used to make them, wow a sunroof, look how big that frunk is, and it's like a time capsule."

PS - there is some anecdotal evidence that, with experiences like you describe and 3 recent FUSC4LIFE transfer offers, that Tesla is trying to eliminate as many FUSC4LIFE cars as possible.

View attachment 1021743
Sure were different times back then. I actually miss the original Model S cup holders. Your 2012 should have them. They have the little fingers that grab and hold you cup still to keep it from wobbling or bouncing. Might pull them out my 2012 and put them in my 2016. Haven't decided yet...

View attachment 1021743
Really miss the obeche wood gloss on my 2015 p85d.

Sure were different times back then. I actually miss the original Model S cup holders. Your 2012 should have them. They have the little fingers that grab and hold you cup still to keep it from wobbling or bouncing. Might pull them out my 2012 and put them in my 2016. Haven't decided yet...
Your right. The original cup holders were awesome, weird elbow placement/location notwithstanding :)

Last edited:
I had my MS 60 with 97K tested yesterday for a potential Jalopnik piece on EV battery degradation. They confirmed only about 12% range loss.
Thanks for sharing, and congratulations. However, battery degradation is only one part to potential out of warranty pack replacement. Hopefully you won't have to worry about this second one:

As far as degradation, absent any outliers, all Tesla's have shown probably less than 25% degradation. Degradation should not be a concern. All that matters to nothing if the HV pack fails due to non degradation (like mine did on my 2012 P85). Non degradation failure requiring pack replacement/repair would be like one bad cell/module, lose wire, faulty circuit board, etc.

The hard truth is out of warranty replacement packs can be more than the car's worth. Once costing $100k+ USD, these are expensive cars to maintain.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Vinc
Hear about the 1.2 million mile Model S?
Only three batteries changed or 4 batteries in total and still running

Let’s assume 1M miles on the three, noting they are on their forth
That’s 333K miles per battery EST

Nice, also considering the original battery and its tech are 10 years old, think the MS was a 2014

What I did not like was the number of motor changes which was high
Hoping that shows the old tech issues

In this thread, let’s also hear about the miles and motors also

So year, miles, battery orig or changed, motors orig or changed

Hoping the newest motors last

Reactions: maximizese