Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles on original battery ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hear about the 1.2 million mile Model S?
Only three batteries changed or 4 batteries in total and still running

Let’s assume 1M miles on the three, noting they are on their forth
That’s 333K miles per battery EST

Nice, also considering the original battery and its tech are 10 years old, think the MS was a 2014

What I did not like was the number of motor changes which was high
Hoping that shows the old tech issues

In this thread, let’s also hear about the miles and motors also

So year, miles, battery orig or changed, motors orig or changed

Hoping the newest motors last
You're right, I agree. In fact, I just paid to have my RDU proactively replaced (my reman 2013 RDU had some coolant leakage on the speed sensor) with the new Tesla "seal delete manifold" U version. Hopefully this new version will last longer than the drive units in the 1 million mile car you mentioned. Screenshot_20240206_212527_Drive.jpg20240201_084227.jpg

Last edited:
But this is where it gets weird. As I am dropping the car off, the service managers go into this whole conversion with me that the fix might not last long and I should trade it in. Also saying a new battery is around $18,000, car isn’t worth it.

Car isn’t worth it is a matter of opinion. $ is one way of making that judgement. But if you factor in more subjective intangibles, like looks, or features like pano, jacht floor, huge frunk, it might be worth it.
Also a new battery will get you more range than any new 85 or even 90 from back then, as well as very fast charging speeds.

Like driving a 12 year old computer., etc, etc.

With our MCU2, im quite happy. Obviously sentry and some other hardware related features are not available, but the car still gets added value now and then. (New Spotify, ITunes, Nav with waypoints,…)
I was kinda surprised at their feedback as these are 2 long-term service managers that I have worked with for a long time.

So that feedback threw me into a whole bunch of different thoughts, made me look at new & used Teslas and made me wonder about their motives where for this exchange. Still haven’t come to any conclusion. I guess I am posting here to vent a little bit and for other people’s thoughts.

Here’s my point of view. I still have my Tesla grin and take any opportunity to drive it.
The car is still recognized for its great look. It’s subjective, but I get comments that it definitely is the better looking Tesla of them all (vs 3, Y, X). And I agree. Before anyone starts arguing, it’s just my opinion and compliments I receive. People also tell me they don’t like the look of Teslas in general and that’s fine.

Anyway, if/when our battery fails, I’m currently planning on buying the new battery. For far less that the price of a new S (or even 3 or Y), I’ll be able to keep on driving this amazing car, get FUSC, free premium connection and… more range and again fast charging.

I believe also that if you sell it, you’ll make someone else very happy.

Good luck on this very personal choice. There are no wrong choices.

You're right, I agree. In fact, I just paid to have my RDU proactively replaced (my reman 2013 RDU had some coolant leakage on the speed sensor) with the new Tesla "seal delete manifold" U version. Hopefully this new version will last longer than the drive units in the 1 million mile car you mentioned. View attachment 1021809View attachment 1021810
Wait a second I want to make sure I have this correct. Did you request service and say you want the drive unit inspected for coolant leaking? What’s the exact verbiage you used? My warranty is expiring in June and I want to have this done, potentially having to pay a diagnostic fee for a new rdu would be well worth it

Wait a second I want to make sure I have this correct. Did you request service and say you want the drive unit inspected for coolant leaking? What’s the exact verbiage you used? My warranty is expiring in June and I want to have this done, potentially having to pay a diagnostic fee for a new rdu would be well worth it
I was out of warranty, so paid for drive unit myself as outlined in the pic of invoice I posted.

Reactions: aerodyne
I agree that it sounds like just a normal human talking and being helpful. A lot of people would start to get kind of upset with some of the expensive repairs on keeping the old cars in good shape. So maybe that was trying to save you some frustration by recommending something that is relatively trouble free and charges a lot faster.

I keep looking at the offers to transfer Supercharging from my old 2014 S85 to a new Y, but I don't quite want to do it. It would cost me about 40 or 50 thousand dollars probably (not eligible for the tax credit), and there are several things I prefer in my S versus the Y.