Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015-17 Dual Motor S charging rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard and read the Posts about rolling back the Charge rates of 85 KW Batt Packs from earlier years but have not seen any comments about 70,75,and 90 Packs. We're they all sent the update that slowed Charging. If so, how much are we talking? I'm Retired and am looking to get 1st EV for trips and Tesla still has best SCharge structure. Don't mind longer Trips timewise to Charge but don't want to sit at Charger for an hour to Drive 2 hours.
I am looking at 2015-17 Duel Motor S since prices are low and $4000 cash from Government. Even if Car needs Batt down the road I'm OK with that since Aluminum body I don't have to worry about Rust. We keep our Cars for 15 years plus and being X Master Tech I d most work myself (not HV or software).
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I did check for other Posts but not exactly answers I needed

Reactions: GSP
I have heard and read the Posts about rolling back the Charge rates of 85 KW Batt Packs from earlier years but have not seen any comments about 70,75,and 90 Packs. We're they all sent the update that slowed Charging. If so, how much are we talking? I'm Retired and am looking to get 1st EV for trips and Tesla still has best SCharge structure. Don't mind longer Trips timewise to Charge but don't want to sit at Charger for an hour to Drive 2 hours.
I am looking at 2015-17 Duel Motor S since prices are low and $4000 cash from Government. Even if Car needs Batt down the road I'm OK with that since Aluminum body I don't have to worry about Rust. We keep our Cars for 15 years plus and being X Master Tech I d most work myself (not HV or software).
Thanks in advance.
P.S. I did check for other Posts but not exactly answers I needed
I can't answer your question about 70,75, and 90 packs being nerfed. However, not everything is an aluminum body. Pics are from 2012/3 MS from the Chicago area. Not sure if 2015-17 MSs changed.

353797555_200807616273048_4506289586817081691_n.jpg353758010_1296564044277567_8170763434401209787_n.jpg

Last edited:
@4hourrule -

Some of the early MS had their charge rates nerfed more than others. It might have been ones with more DC charging vs. AC, but I am not sure about that. Maybe ask previous owner about charge rates, and have the car checked with "scan my tesla" or other scan tool, and review total kWh throughput, and how much was DC.

My 2015 Model S had reduced supercharging at 7 years old vs. new, but not as bad as some others reported here at TMC. It would peak at 90-100 kW for a few seconds, then drop to 70-80 kW before tapering as SOC rose. I usually had about 20% SOC when supercharging was started. This was fast enough to be a comfortable road tripper, as long as I always supercharged during my 45-60 min meal stops, and 10-15 min bathroom stops.

Also look for BMS estimate of pack capacity. This can be done without tools, by looking at the energy screen Wh/mi and estimated miles to empty. Multiply the two to get Wh remaining in the battery, then divide by the SOC %/100 (ie. 54%/100 = 0.54) to get total pack capacity in Wh.

Good luck with you car shopping,

GSP

Reactions: 4hourrule
Larger pack will have faster dc charging, just how electricity n ohm's law works

I have not heard of 75/90 packs nerfing
However early 90 packs had fast degradation

My v3 90 (part #108*) still gets 120kw speeds with 96k mi odo

Personally I'd stay away from 2015 n early 2016 cars

Also keep in mind any car before Oct 2016 is AP1, ie not upgradable n no dash cam or sentry

Here's data taken over Q4 2023 with charging curves for my mid-June built MS 90D. The data is composite of about 47 different charging session and over 30 different supercharger locations. Some of the lower curves reflect cases where the battery is not up to temp.

Total mileage on my car/pack during that period ranged from around 74,000 to 79,500 miles. Overall a little over 45% of my total lifetime charging as measured by rated miles / kWh added is from supercharging (over 350 individual supercharging sessions). My charging data which I've captured suggests about 8.5% apparent degradation in pack capacity with 100% charge being around 268 miles vs. 294 rated when brand new. (You can find a plot of my charging data captured over lifetime in another post I made earlier today).

Compared to when my car was new, it charges faster in terms of peak KW rate as well as shorter overall charging time at a supercharger. So from my personal experience, I've seen nothing to suggest my charging speed being nerfed.

1704660697775.png

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Here's data taken over Q4 2023 with charging curves for my mid-June built MS 90D. The data is composite of about 47 different charging session and over 30 different supercharger locations. Some of the lower curves reflect cases where the battery is not up to temp.

Total mileage on my car/pack during that period ranged from around 74,000 to 79,500 miles. Overall a little over 45% of my total lifetime charging as measured by rated miles / kWh added is from supercharging (over 350 individual supercharging sessions). My charging data which I've captured suggests about 8.5% apparent degradation in pack capacity with 100% charge being around 268 miles vs. 294 rated when brand new. (You can find a plot of my charging data captured over lifetime in another post I made earlier today).

Compared to when my car was new, it charges faster in terms of peak KW rate as well as shorter overall charging time at a supercharger. So from my personal experience, I've seen nothing to suggest my charging speed being nerfed.

View attachment 1006893
2023 is way too new for me.

2023 is way too new for me.
The data was collected from my charging sessions in Q4 2023, but this is data from my June 2016 built Model S 90D. So represents one of the packs that the OP was asking about being nerfed.

The curves I've collected in the past 2 weeks on my brand new 2023 Model S LR are off the top of that chart. I've seen peaks of 254-255 kW, even though the state the V3 superchargers to only be 250 kW capable.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and 4hourrule
Still scary when U C posts of Shaft replacement every 30- 40 thousand miles. Since we put a lot of Miles on Cars in my Family that could get expensive.

I've had a nosecone 90S since 2019; put 50k miles on it in that time. *Lots* of things have broken on it in that time, but it still charges from 10% to 50% quickly and I've never had any half shafts replaced. Lots of door handle issues, charge port door, AC drain plugged, steering rack, a bunch of air suspension things (most probably were fine but were swapped under warranty because they didn't debug the issues), some windshield wiper woes, etc. But half shafts? They've been fine. When I got the car it'd charge to 277; now it charges to 268. It supercharges quickly enough and there are enough superchargers around that I don't think about range, and haven't in years.

Reactions: GSP and 4hourrule
I've had a nosecone 90S since 2019; put 50k miles on it in that time. *Lots* of things have broken on it in that time, but it still charges from 10% to 50% quickly and I've never had any half shafts replaced. Lots of door handle issues, charge port door, AC drain plugged, steering rack, a bunch of air suspension things (most probably were fine but were swapped under warranty because they didn't debug the issues), some windshield wiper woes, etc. But half shafts? They've been fine. When I got the car it'd charge to 277; now it charges to 268. It supercharges quickly enough and there are enough superchargers around that I don't think about range, and haven't in years.
Bought new or used? How many miles now? Nosecone? Is that the Black front cover?
Thanks