Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S 2016.5 inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.

I might be getting a 90D soon. Could you please let me know what are the pack issues? I am reluctant because I would be owning it well out of warranty for sure.
You will find a lot of mixed views around the 90 packs. Part of this goes to the fact that there were multiple iterations on the 90 pack and I believe there may be some legitimate differences in how the later versions performed compared to the early versions.

The negative comments will state that 90 packs suffered from much higher level of degradation, and at much lower mileage/calendar age than the prior 85 packs. I do not have any personal ownership experience with one of these to give you a first hand, informed input.

I did own a June 2016 produced 90D which I purchased new and owned for 7.5 years. I put right at 80k miles on it before I sold it. You can find that I've posted various graphs of the apparent degradation which I saw, but it was about 8.5-9% overall, with a full 100% charge yielding around 268 rated miles versus the 294 rated miles which Tesla stated when new.

Other comment you will see is around supercharging speeds being severely limited. This is most applicable to the 85 packs. My 90D would actually charge faster after 7.5 years than when it was new, due to a combination of improvements in the superchargers but also software changes which Tesla implemented. My car would still in right conditions hit 150kW peak charging rates versus only 120kW when new. Even with some changes in the charging taper curve, it would still take less time for charge 20-70% or 20-80% than when my car was new.

So I think what you may see will depend heavily on what 90D you are considering. Personally, I'd say away from a late 2015 or early 2016, and look for a mid-2016 (after the first front fascia "refresh"). That I believe will also benefit you from the vintage of the 90D pack, but also some other upgrades/changes which were done with the refresh versus those with the original "classic" black oval nose.

Just my two cents. Good luck on your purchase decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
My P85D with 120K miles or so was able to hit a peak of 140KW with v2/v3 superchargers while I was still on v8.1. I had long since been disconnected from Tesla's service due to v8 no longer being supported. The software changes that gimped the 85 didn't come into v9. When I did the MCU2 upgrade, I was forced to upgrade to v10 and my charging speed took a 40% plunge.

Upvote 0
Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.
Looks like you have a similar post on TMC. First, make sure it indeed has free unlimited supercharging for life (SC01) if that's what's your interested in. With recent Tesla FUSC transfer offers many new buyers can be misled that the car indeed has FUSC4LIFE.

As far as degradation, absent any outliers, all Tesla's have shown probably less than 25% degradation. All that matters to nothing if the HV pack fails due to non degradation (like mine did on my 2012 P85).

The hard truth is a replacement pack can be more than the car's worth. These are expensive cars to maintain. Set aside $20k for maintenance in an interest bearing account. If you can't do that you shouldn't be buying a car like this.

FB_IMG_1698537519008.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna
Upvote 0