Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S 2016.5 inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.

Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.
Any used car can have expensive repairs in general.

If you want to avoid the cost of repairs then buy one with warranty.

Free unlimited supercharging can be tricky because it is software enabled so Tesla can disable it in an audit and what proof can you show that you should have it?

Reactions: scgaskill
Upvote 0
Well I have 2016.3 model, in a same version as non-powered trunk and on coil suspension. The trunk without the powered function does not have the famous chin actuator motor failure these models does have (apparently it’s the same parts used on Mercedes). I can’t compare the suspension as have not had a chance to test the air suspension. Tesla did upgraded the system around 2017 (if I’m correct) and the new one might be very good. For me the suspension is just fine.
As the car is quite old already then there might come up some components failure which are not cheap. It all depends on the condition the car is. Those can be PTC cabin heater, electrical battery heater, onboard charger and the HV components in that system. You might get quite good example but if you do choose that then be prepared for expensive repairs. Good luck.

Upvote 0
2016 was a tricky year as there were three fairly distinct variants of cars produced with a lot of changes. You reference 2016.5, so I expect you are referring to one build after roughly end of April that has the revised front fascia without the original black oval. Now of that configuration it is important to distinquish if it is an AP1 version, produced before mid-Oct 2016, or the beginning of the vision based AP2 system produced after mid-October 2016.

If the ability to have features such as dash cam, sentry, and some of the more FSD type of capabilities, then you need to be looking at a car after that mid-October 2016 switch.

I owned a June 2016 MS90D for 7.5 years (purchased new, sold early Jan 2024). I put right at 80k miles on it in that time. My config sounds similar to what you are looking at; coil suspension, pano roof (sunroof).

I did have a rear drive motor replaced under warranty due to what seems to be a very boarderline limit spec electrical characteristic. This was replaced under warranty after it tripped fault code for the second time over the first 2 years of use. Since then, there were no issues with major battery/drive motor related systems.

There are a few typical failure modes which many commonly reference with this vintage car.
  • door handles ... multiple failure modes. I ended having to have two repaired (driver side front and rear, which were ones most used).
  • Headlights where the "eyebrow" daytime running light tends to yellow from the center outward. I had three replaced under warranty. My passenger side was showing signs of yellowing when I sold it. Had been that way for last couple years and chose not to replace it. It's in my view cosmetic failure, as the main headlight function is not influenced. Some view it is more a functional failure. These are expensive. I've lost track of replacement cost, but it's upwards of $2000 each as the whole assembly must be replaced.
  • Leak in cooling system due to issue with one of the multiple 3-way/4-way coolant valves. I experienced this in mid 2022 as I started to see a very indication of fluid on my garage floor under the front of the vehicle. Ultimately I had a low coolant warning, so took it in for service. In my case the one valve needing replacement was about a $400 total repair via my local Tesla service center.
  • Pano roof assembly. You can find reports of various issues. One of the most typical is leak of some form. There are two drains at the front which can get clogged, which can cause water to leak in and stain the headliner. Others can be issues with the seals around the opening. I never had any issues with mine, but over the first 4 years I took my car in for annual maintenance checks which included cleaning and lubricating the tracks. If you do get a car with a pano roof, that might be something worthwhile doing on a periodic basis as preventative maintenance in my opinion.
  • MCU1 main display eMMC failure related issues. There is a safety recall that will cover the replacement of the eMMC memory chip, but many still seem to report various problems with aging MCU1 type of display units. The ' big hammer' approach to fix this is to upgrade to MCU2. I elected to do that on mine in Dec 2021 and will tell you for me it was well worth the ~$2000 I spent. It includes full replacement of both the main display and the dash instrument panel, which addresses any potential leak/bubble issues around the edges you might see, plus you'll enjoy much faster navigation system and main screen performance, as well as the ability to stream video via the "Theatre" app.
Now not a failure per say, but cars of this vintage are starting to see an alert pop up about the need to replace the main battery fuse assembly. This seems to largely be a time base thing with people start seeing it around 7.5 years. That was exactly my case. Tesla did replace this for me under my 8 yr/unlimited mile main battery pack warranty. Out of warranty they were showing was about a $250 repair.

Those are key thoughts on mine on the vintage of car you are considering. While I know free supercharging seems like a big deal, I suggest you to first really think through whether having the 8-camera AP2 level versus AP1, and pack size/range considerations. Ultimately I feel those are much bigger factors on whether the car fits your needs.

I understand the lure of FUSC. Tesla's offer to allow me to transfer that to a new Model S in Q4 last year was the tipping point that caused me to replace my 2016 MS90D with a new 2023 MS LR. I'll be the first to say that was as much an emotional vs. financial/rational choice, but hey, I'll readily admit I'm not always 100% totally logical/rational in my purchase decisions. Honestly, I think that FUSC was worth maybe about $5000 over my 7.5 years of ownership with about 45% of my total driving and energy use being via free supercharging. But instead of focusing on just that factor, I'd first focus on what is your real range needs, would a 90 or 100 pack be a better choice, plus whether some of the capabilities of AP2 or new vs. AP1 are important to you.

Good luck with your purchase decision.

Upvote 0
@PCMc - great write up and feedback! I have the exact same car as you had but mine is a 75D.

Regarding the Pano roof maintenance - is it straightforward to clean the drain lines yourself? I know you mentioned that you had yours done at your local SC. I've never had mine maintained yet and after reading your post I think I should get it done soon.

Upvote 0
@PCMc - great write up and feedback! I have the exact same car as you had but mine is a 75D.

Regarding the Pano roof maintenance - is it straightforward to clean the drain lines yourself? I know you mentioned that you had yours done at your local SC. I've never had mine maintained yet and after reading your post I think I should get it done soon.
If you google tesla pano roof drain line cleaning you'll come up with a variety of hits including some youtube videos that various people have posted.

You can access Tesla's service instructions for cleaning and lubrication of the pano roof assembly. Here's the link.

It simply states to use compressed air to blow the drain lines clear, but looks like you do need to pull the wheel liner forward to access the exit of the drain, making it almost a two person job. It also cautions about using too high of pressure.

I'm sure if you have a severely clogged case, you might need to figure out how to run some form of "snake" through it, much like clearing the clog in a sink drain. I think the trick with that would be figuring out a good tool to use that is flexible enough to follow the various curves and bends that likely exist without risking puncturing or tearing the tube. But hopefully you'll never run into that situation.

I don't know what Tesla would charge now to do this. I'd think it's may half an hour of technician labor, which at least in my region, would probably make is about $100-125 repair. Personally, I've reached the stage where I'd prefer to pay a professional to do these things for me, although I might be very capable. Just not worth the hassle factor. It's like after having wired most of our first home myself, my comment was if I ever built another house, my objective was to be wealthy enough to be able to hire an electrician!

Enjoy your car.

Reactions: SilverGS
Upvote 0
2016 was a tricky year as there were three fairly distinct variants of cars produced with a lot of changes. You reference 2016.5, so I expect you are referring to one build after roughly end of April that has the revised front fascia without the original black oval. Now of that configuration it is important to distinquish if it is an AP1 version, produced before mid-Oct 2016, or the beginning of the vision based AP2 system produced after mid-October 2016.

If the ability to have features such as dash cam, sentry, and some of the more FSD type of capabilities, then you need to be looking at a car after that mid-October 2016 switch.

I owned a June 2016 MS90D for 7.5 years (purchased new, sold early Jan 2024). I put right at 80k miles on it in that time. My config sounds similar to what you are looking at; coil suspension, pano roof (sunroof).

I did have a rear drive motor replaced under warranty due to what seems to be a very boarderline limit spec electrical characteristic. This was replaced under warranty after it tripped fault code for the second time over the first 2 years of use. Since then, there were no issues with major battery/drive motor related systems.

There are a few typical failure modes which many commonly reference with this vintage car.
  • door handles ... multiple failure modes. I ended having to have two repaired (driver side front and rear, which were ones most used).
  • Headlights where the "eyebrow" daytime running light tends to yellow from the center outward. I had three replaced under warranty. My passenger side was showing signs of yellowing when I sold it. Had been that way for last couple years and chose not to replace it. It's in my view cosmetic failure, as the main headlight function is not influenced. Some view it is more a functional failure. These are expensive. I've lost track of replacement cost, but it's upwards of $2000 each as the whole assembly must be replaced.
  • Leak in cooling system due to issue with one of the multiple 3-way/4-way coolant valves. I experienced this in mid 2022 as I started to see a very indication of fluid on my garage floor under the front of the vehicle. Ultimately I had a low coolant warning, so took it in for service. In my case the one valve needing replacement was about a $400 total repair via my local Tesla service center.
  • Pano roof assembly. You can find reports of various issues. One of the most typical is leak of some form. There are two drains at the front which can get clogged, which can cause water to leak in and stain the headliner. Others can be issues with the seals around the opening. I never had any issues with mine, but over the first 4 years I took my car in for annual maintenance checks which included cleaning and lubricating the tracks. If you do get a car with a pano roof, that might be something worthwhile doing on a periodic basis as preventative maintenance in my opinion.
  • MCU1 main display eMMC failure related issues. There is a safety recall that will cover the replacement of the eMMC memory chip, but many still seem to report various problems with aging MCU1 type of display units. The ' big hammer' approach to fix this is to upgrade to MCU2. I elected to do that on mine in Dec 2021 and will tell you for me it was well worth the ~$2000 I spent. It includes full replacement of both the main display and the dash instrument panel, which addresses any potential leak/bubble issues around the edges you might see, plus you'll enjoy much faster navigation system and main screen performance, as well as the ability to stream video via the "Theatre" app.
Now not a failure per say, but cars of this vintage are starting to see an alert pop up about the need to replace the main battery fuse assembly. This seems to largely be a time base thing with people start seeing it around 7.5 years. That was exactly my case. Tesla did replace this for me under my 8 yr/unlimited mile main battery pack warranty. Out of warranty they were showing was about a $250 repair.

Those are key thoughts on mine on the vintage of car you are considering. While I know free supercharging seems like a big deal, I suggest you to first really think through whether having the 8-camera AP2 level versus AP1, and pack size/range considerations. Ultimately I feel those are much bigger factors on whether the car fits your needs.

I understand the lure of FUSC. Tesla's offer to allow me to transfer that to a new Model S in Q4 last year was the tipping point that caused me to replace my 2016 MS90D with a new 2023 MS LR. I'll be the first to say that was as much an emotional vs. financial/rational choice, but hey, I'll readily admit I'm not always 100% totally logical/rational in my purchase decisions. Honestly, I think that FUSC was worth maybe about $5000 over my 7.5 years of ownership with about 45% of my total driving and energy use being via free supercharging. But instead of focusing on just that factor, I'd first focus on what is your real range needs, would a 90 or 100 pack be a better choice, plus whether some of the capabilities of AP2 or new vs. AP1 are important to you.

Good luck with your purchase decision
I appreciate your thoughtful response and I think this vehicle is the one! Thank you for your advice. I called tesla and they confirmed it’s sc01

Upvote 0
Do you guys know if all transfers are finalized? I called tesla and they confirmed it had sc01 as of right now. This vehicle is already in the hands of a dealership. If the new tesla is delayed and gets delivered will the charging transfer out of the vehicle even though the dealership owns it right now?

Upvote 0
If you are prioritizing the free supercharging, the safest bet is to buy a one-owner, original-owner SC01 car from a private party and confirm that this person has not bought or ordered a new Tesla (e.g. the person has already replaced the Tesla with a non-Tesla). Then SC01 should transfer to you.

The main problems with buying from a dealership are:
-- The dealership could have obtained the car from a Tesla auction - then you will lose SC01 when you put the car into your Tesla account;
-- The dealership could have obtained the car from an owner who transferred the free supercharging to a new Tesla. In this case, I believe you will lose SC01 when you put the car into your Tesla account.

Tesla strips SC01 when you add the car into your own Tesla account. So it could have SC01 sitting in the dealer's lot, but for a few different reasons you could lose it after purchase.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
Upvote 0
75D without air suspension is a pretty reliable config for the year. It doesn't have the 85/90 battery pack issues or a large drive unit seal to fail. The air suspension can be expensive to maintain and not as reliable as coils, but again, not your problem. I'd take AP1 over sentry mode and side cameras any day of the week, and SC01 is good gravy - especially in CA - if you can confirm it will transfer.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Upvote 0
You might want to do the whole work, not just the half as there are four drain tubes at the roof. It’s rather easy to do at home, even the rear ones. I have noticed that if I hear water swashing around by the roof line on cornering then it’s time to check.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
Upvote 0
Some more info for OP.
S75 will have LDU which is known to leak coolant internally n destroy itself, however latest -U units have coolant delete manifold that solves the issue.
I doubt you'll find one for sale with it yet but at least u can DIY the 'coolant delete' or replace it for permanent fix (knock on wood)
Battery heater is another common failure part but its an easy access n not expensive
75kwh packs don't have much issues besides range of course but with FUSC it shouldn't matter..

If you are prioritizing the free supercharging, the safest bet is to buy a one-owner, original-owner SC01 car from a private party and confirm that this person has not bought or ordered a new Tesla (e.g. the person has already replaced the Tesla with a non-Tesla). Then SC01 should transfer to you.

The main problems with buying from a dealership are:
-- The dealership could have obtained the car from a Tesla auction - then you will lose SC01 when you put the car into your Tesla account;
-- The dealership could have obtained the car from an owner who transferred the free supercharging to a new Tesla. In this case, I believe you will lose SC01 when you put the car into your Tesla account.

Tesla strips SC01 when you add the car into your own Tesla account. So it could have SC01 sitting in the dealer's lot, but for a few different reasons you could lose it after purchase.
Pretty sure that's NOT how it works..
SC01 is server side verification so if Tesla checked their system then it still attached to VIN (whether u trust Tesla, thats another story)
Tesla doesn't strip SC01 from auction cars unless they sent it there
Basically anytime Tesla 'owned' the car they strip it
The only questionable time frame for SC01 is the limbo before new car is delivered to which it was transferred, if previous owner did that

I called tesla and they confirmed it’s sc01
How did u get a hold of real human? 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: beatle
Upvote 0
Some more info for OP.
S75 will have LDU which is known to leak coolant internally n destroy itself, however latest -U units have coolant delete manifold that solves the issue.
I doubt you'll find one for sale with it yet but at least u can DIY the 'coolant delete' or replace it for permanent fix (knock on wood)
Battery heater is another common failure part but its an easy access n not expensive
75kwh packs don't have much issues besides range of course but with FUSC it shouldn't matter..

Pretty sure that's NOT how it works..
SC01 is server side verification so if Tesla checked their system then it still attached to VIN (whether u trust Tesla, thats another story)
Tesla doesn't strip SC01 from auction cars unless they sent it there
Basically anytime Tesla 'owned' the car they strip it
They only questionable time frame for SC01 is the limbo before new car is delivered to which it was transferred, if previous owner did that

How did u get a hold of real human? 😂
So most model s 75 2016 has Large drive unit? Also getting hold of a human is just calling at 4pm pst and it takes like 3 minutes.

Upvote 0
The only way to be sure it has and will retain SC01 is if you're buying it from the original owner and it has never been re-owned by Tesla, auctioned off, or sold through a third party dealer. Lots of stories where folks buy an SC01 optioned S and have FUSC only to have it turned off 6 months later because Tesla was slow to getting around to turning it off.

Upvote 0
I was looking at a 75d and they had a lot of errors. Is this common? I appreciate your help.
5E95B097-5BA6-46B7-A3CF-4F033E8ADB87.jpeg

Upvote 0