Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S 2016.5 inquiry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.

Regarding the recent incentive to owners with SC01 to transfer to a new car. That offer required the car to be delivered by the end of the year. The transfer of free supercharging to the new car was done at the time of delivery, even if the owner notified Tesla prior to delivery of their intent. It also could not be transferred after delivery, so if you took delivery of a new car, then decided a week later you wanted to transfer over from your old one, you were out of luck.

I'm one of the people that did transfer my SC01 lifetime supercharging to a new car in Q4. My new MS LR was delivered on Dec 20, at which time the supercharging was transferred from my old car to my new car. So if the car is still showing SC01, then I would not be worried about the current owner having a transfer that's still pending.

Upvote 0
I'm one of the people that did transfer my SC01 lifetime supercharging to a new car in Q4. My new MS LR was delivered on Dec 20, at which time the supercharging was transferred from my old car to my new car. So if the car is still showing SC01, then I would not be worried about the current owner having a transfer that's still pending.
weren't they also requiring to have both cars in ur account at the time of actual transfer?
i think worry here is that dealer cars never get put on app... so still connected to whoever owned before
but i'd imagine that would be risky for seller, since it could get sold/transferred before they get new car...

Upvote 0
Regarding the recent incentive to owners with SC01 to transfer to a new car. That offer required the car to be delivered by the end of the year. The transfer of free supercharging to the new car was done at the time of delivery, even if the owner notified Tesla prior to delivery of their intent.

It's back:

Upvote 0
weren't they also requiring to have both cars in ur account at the time of actual transfer?
i think worry here is that dealer cars never get put on app... so still connected to whoever owned before
but i'd imagine that would be risky for seller, since it could get sold/transferred before they get new car...
Yes, both cars needed to linked to the same owners account.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
looks like battery heater is dead or dying on that car...
Here is the repair on my car. Minus the battery over the counter. So around €900.

9309C8D2-74F7-42C7-ADCF-3F6845A5C9C4.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Hello Tesla motor club forums,

I was eyeing a used 2016.5 model s 75 without the air suspension or power trunk. It does have a power sunroof. I am mainly interested in the free unlimited supercharging. Is this tesla reliable? What are some things I should know about the car? Are there other years and trims of vehicles I should be considering instead that are equally or more reliable? Is the drive unit, batteries and other expensive components likely to fail? I appreciate your expertise.
Run away, as fast as you can! Read my posts about the 2014 model S 60 I bought 4 months ago and the run around I've gotten trying to get SuC and CCS enabled.

If the car doesn't already have SuperCharging (SuC) Tesla will likely want to gouge you $12K to enable it. You may be told that it will only be $2500 to enable it, like I was told, but that's just because most of the people who work there have no idea about these older models and how ala carte they were and they just assume that all the cars had all or at least most of the major features. They won't bother checking any records. And they won't tell you anything about the cars history or service records.

I'm a new Tesla owner so will not say about the 2016 MS 75 you're looking at, but there were issues with the LDU, large drive unit, with it leaking past the seals and requiring replacement. Which MCU does it have (the big main screen)?

Mine has an MCU1 which had 3G cellular which is no longer supported. MCU1 can be upgraded to 4G LTE. MCU2 has 4G LTE. MCU1 has a Tegra processor. MCU1 had emmc memory issues.

There is an MCU2 upgrade option that replaces the Instrument Cluster (IC) display over the steering wheel and the main screen and has a faster processor. The original screens suffered from leaking a sticky goo and the screens have what look like air bubbles. The MCU2 upgrade is $2500.

I replaced my bubbled IC myself and upgraded to 4G LTE in my MCU1 by buying used parts off eBay, total cost $410. There are YouTube videos showing how if you are ok with DIY, but it does require tearing your dash apart, which isn't really that hard, but if you'd rather buy the upgrade, if you even need it, that's certainly easier. Check the forums for posts about all these issues.

If you still want to consider this car consider getting a 3rd party service contract. I got one from CarShield specifically for EVs for $90/month for peace of mind in case a "big ticket" item dies and needs to be replaced since my car is out of warranty. There are other vendors as well.

As for the battery, they do degrade over time even without a lot of use. My 2014 MS60 only has 42K miles. The degradation on mine appears to be about 7% which isn't bad for a 9 year old car.

Be aware that the rated milage is an EPA estimated range, just like estimated MPG with gas vehicles. Ever heard the saying "your milage may vary"? That is equally true of EPA estimated range, it is often optimistically high. And it's for 100% battery charge. It's not recommended to charge the o.det battery packs to 100% regularly and it's never recommended to run the battery down to zero. That can damage the battery.

Recently I've told my non-EV friends and colleagues that the range is "85% of 85%" as a rule of thumb estimate for more accurate results. By that I mean that you'll get roughly 85% of the EPA estimate and you'll use about 85% of the total real-life estimate, from say 95% max charge down to 10% charge when you'll want to charge up again. I just did the math for my own car, rated at 208 miles. 208 x .85 x .85 x .93 (7% degradation) = 140 real life miles.

I work from home so don't drive every day other than short errands and 1-2 longer work related trips per week, so I haven't really done a detailed analysis of my range, but 140 miles seems much closer to accurate than 208 miles when it was new, before degradation.

I'd be curious if others range matches my "85% of 85%" SWAG which I initially came up with more as a method of understanding that the EPA estimates are unrealistic, and that you never use 100% of your battery, and not really as a mathmatical formula. But when I did the math, the formula seemed to work pretty well, at least for my car.

Upvote 0
Run away, as fast as you can! Read my posts about the 2014 model S 60 I bought 4 months ago and the run around I've gotten trying to get SuC and CCS enabled.

If the car doesn't already have SuperCharging (SuC) Tesla will likely want to gouge you $12K to enable it. You may be told that it will only be $2500 to enable it, like I was told, but that's just because most of the people who work there have no idea about these older models and how ala carte they were and they just assume that all the cars had all or at least most of the major features. They won't bother checking any records. And they won't tell you anything about the cars history or service records.

I'm a new Tesla owner so will not say about the 2016 MS 75 you're looking at, but there were issues with the LDU, large drive unit, with it leaking past the seals and requiring replacement. Which MCU does it have (the big main screen)?

Mine has an MCU1 which had 3G cellular which is no longer supported. MCU1 can be upgraded to 4G LTE. MCU2 has 4G LTE. MCU1 has a Tegra processor. MCU1 had emmc memory issues.

There is an MCU2 upgrade option that replaces the Instrument Cluster (IC) display over the steering wheel and the main screen and has a faster processor. The original screens suffered from leaking a sticky goo and the screens have what look like air bubbles. The MCU2 upgrade is $2500.

I replaced my bubbled IC myself and upgraded to 4G LTE in my MCU1 by buying used parts off eBay, total cost $410. There are YouTube videos showing how if you are ok with DIY, but it does require tearing your dash apart, which isn't really that hard, but if you'd rather buy the upgrade, if you even need it, that's certainly easier. Check the forums for posts about all these issues.

If you still want to consider this car consider getting a 3rd party service contract. I got one from CarShield specifically for EVs for $90/month for peace of mind in case a "big ticket" item dies and needs to be replaced since my car is out of warranty. There are other vendors as well.

As for the battery, they do degrade over time even without a lot of use. My 2014 MS60 only has 42K miles. The degradation on mine appears to be about 7% which isn't bad for a 9 year old car.

Be aware that the rated milage is an EPA estimated range, just like estimated MPG with gas vehicles. Ever heard the saying "your milage may vary"? That is equally true of EPA estimated range, it is often optimistically high. And it's for 100% battery charge. It's not recommended to charge the o.det battery packs to 100% regularly and it's never recommended to run the battery down to zero. That can damage the battery.

Recently I've told my non-EV friends and colleagues that the range is "85% of 85%" as a rule of thumb estimate for more accurate results. By that I mean that you'll get roughly 85% of the EPA estimate and you'll use about 85% of the total real-life estimate, from say 95% max charge down to 10% charge when you'll want to charge up again. I just did the math for my own car, rated at 208 miles. 208 x .85 x .85 x .93 (7% degradation) = 140 real life miles.

I work from home so don't drive every day other than short errands and 1-2 longer work related trips per week, so I haven't really done a detailed analysis of my range, but 140 miles seems much closer to accurate than 208 miles when it was new, before degradation.

I'd be curious if others range matches my "85% of 85%" SWAG which I initially came up with more as a method of understanding that the EPA estimates are unrealistic, and that you never use 100% of your battery, and not really as a mathmatical formula. But when I did the math, the formula seemed to work pretty well, at least for my car.
I don’t believe that’s an issue for this car as it has SC01 meaning supercharging is enabled for sure. My main concerns is owning a tesla out of warranty

Upvote 0
I don’t believe that’s an issue for this car as it has SC01 meaning supercharging is enabled for sure. My main concerns is owning a tesla out of warranty
Yeah, that was my biggest concern, this the CarShield contract. It isn't really a contract, it's open ended and not limited to a max number of miles. I can cancel any time or keep it for years if I want. Maybe at some point, when I have more comfort level, I may drop it, but it's pretty cheap insurance, so long as it actually pays if/when I need it in the future.

Search the forums about the LDU and MCU issues. Do you know which MCU the car has?

I've read the panoramic roof "pano" had leaking issues, and I'm sure on at least two occasions I had one drop of water drip on my shoulder but haven't really checked it out thoroughly. There are drain tubes that can get clogged causing the water to back up. I need to check mine sometime.

Upvote 0
Yeah, that was my biggest concern, this the CarShield contract. It isn't really a contract, it's open ended and not limited to a max number of miles. I can cancel any time or keep it for years if I want. Maybe at some point, when I have more comfort level, I may drop it, but it's pretty cheap insurance, so long as it actually pays if/when I need it in the future.

Search the forums about the LDU and MCU issues. Do you know which MCU the car has?

I've read the panoramic roof "pano" had leaking issues, and I'm sure on at least two occasions I had one drop of water drip on my shoulder but haven't really checked it out thoroughly. There are drain tubes that can get clogged causing the water to back up. I need to check mine sometime.
I’m aware of the LDU issues so I’m gonna get a 75d instead but the trade off is this one has power trunk and air suspension. It is equipped with mcu1 unfortunately

Upvote 0
I’m aware of the LDU issues so I’m gonna get a 75d instead but the trade off is this one has power trunk and air suspension. It is equipped with mcu1 unfortunately
I mentioned the MCU2 upgrade, you probably have Navigation, and the MCU2 processor is faster. I get maps but don't have turn-by-turn navigation, so I just use my phone as I always have. The 4G LTE seems to download maps fine, but since I'm not using it for navigation I don't watch it that close when I drive so not sure how much faster it would be with MCU2.

Are either of the screens bubbled? The MCU2 upgrade replaces both of them, but at a price, $2500. Are you ok with replacing them yourself? If you replace the 4G LTE yourself just be sure you buy one with a SIM installed.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert on SuC, so I'll leave it to others to answer, but I do remember reading that Tesla may remove FUSC licenses from used cars sold so I would be cautious. Like another poster stated, you will have no proof that it was purchased or transferrable to your account.ould do a lot of research.

Upvote 0
I'm not an expert on SuC, so I'll leave it to others to answer, but I do remember reading that Tesla may remove FUSC licenses from used cars sold so I would be cautious. Like another poster stated, you will have no proof that it was purchased or transferrable to your account.ould do a lot of research.
You’re absolutely correct about that, thank you for reminding me to be cautious. I’ll make sure to do my research and im aware it’s a gamble.

Upvote 0
I mentioned the MCU2 upgrade, you probably have Navigation, and the MCU2 processor is faster. I get maps but don't have turn-by-turn navigation, so I just use my phone as I always have. The 4G LTE seems to download maps fine, but since I'm not using it for navigation I don't watch it that close when I drive so not sure how much faster it would be with MCU2.

Are either of the screens bubbled? The MCU2 upgrade replaces both of them, but at a price, $2500. Are you ok with replacing them yourself? If you replace the 4G LTE yourself just be sure you buy one with a SIM installed.

Good luck!
The only issue I had doing the DIY upgrades is that the replacement IC display worked but had a message at the bottom saying it needed a firmware upgrade, which I couldn't do, so paid Tesla a half hour of labor to do it, which cost about $125. The IC display was $175 on eBay.

And I've recently noticed that my wifi won't connect to my home network. There were 3 antenna connectors but only two antenna wires, one for wifi and one for LTE. The LTE works and I am wondering if I plugged the wifi into the wrong connector. The 4G LTE card with SIM was $65 and worked immediately. There's a fuse for the MCU to power it off before removal.

It's a hassle taking the dash apart to take out the MCU to take the back off to try the other connector, and I don't see a need for wifi so I haven't tried to fix it. If I take it out in the future I will troubleshoot it then.

So, replacing the IC display and upgrading the 4G LTE myself saved me over $2K vs the MCU2 upgrade but I still have the older processor and possibly emmc problems in the future.

Also if you care, the MCU1 has FM radio, the MCU2 doesn't, it's an optional upgrade to add FM radio. That can probably be done DIY too.

Upvote 0
75D without air suspension is a pretty reliable config for the year. It doesn't have the 85/90 battery pack issues or a large drive unit seal to fail. The air suspension can be expensive to maintain and not as reliable as coils, but again, not your problem. I'd take AP1 over sentry mode and side cameras any day of the week, and SC01 is good gravy - especially in CA - if you can confirm it will transfer.
I might be getting a 90D soon. Could you please let me know what are the pack issues? I am reluctant because I would be owning it well out of warranty for sure.

Upvote 0