Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend Car of the Year 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's Jim Hall, a race car driver from the dark ages.
He has Formula 1 experience from early 60's when that sport seemed to kill a driver a month. From what I've read, he's been a racing-tech guru for 50 yrs with lots of aerodynamic advancements that have since been adopted on everything that races. I woud expect him to have lots of appreciation of Tesla's application of electric drive tech to the benefit of power, handling, style and of course aero. Curious to hear more of his comments; I tend to agree with his curt response about motors and inverters; although Tesla has done great things with theirs, the Model S emanates from a lot more inspiration than just the drive system.
I hope after the announcement they'll release a full video of the discussion. I think it would be quite compelling and interesting to get more of a taste at how they came to a consensus.

Speaking of the oil and gas business: Motor Trend Journalist Also Taking Money To Be A Spokesperson For An Oil Company

xlarge.jpg

Though she's been rather positive wrt Tesla.

For some, I'll bet their thought process might be that Tesla is just a bit too early in "dev/production" process... yet next year it will be much easier (if not impossible to avoid) to nominate and win. The public and ensuing press will force that vote by that time. IMO.

Last edited:
For some, I'll bet their thought process might be that Tesla is just a bit too early in "dev/production" process... yet next year it will be much easier (if not impossible to avoid) to nominate and win. The public and ensuing press will force that vote by that time. IMO.

Next year the Model S won't be a completely new model. Therefore it won't qualify for MotorTrend's COTY.

My understanding of the criteria is that Model S will not qualify next year.
Next year the Model S won't be a completely new model. Therefore it won't qualify for MotorTrend's COTY.
Agree. :)

I thought it was amusing that the Coda was mentioned as the worst car they tested. Really telling of the EV market if the Model S comes out on top.
I'm not surprised at all. I saw one last weekend and I was totally unimpressed with it. While I did not get to drive it, I did sit in it. The shifter looks like a dial taken off of a washing machine. The body is as boring and ugly as possible. I think the Mitsubishi i-Miev actually looks better, and that is saying something. It might be a good value at $13,000. But at the same price ballpark as the Chevy Volt, I just can't see it at all. I know it has more range than a Leaf or a Focus EV, but I'd still rather have the Leaf or Focus any day over the Coda.

One thing is for sure: GM and Ford had employees in the room as "guests." The one guy starts ranting about the Model S body and the other guy shuts him down. I don't truly care about what Motor Trend says about Tesla Motors on its own, but I care about what what Motor Trend says about the Model S that says something about Motor Trend. I've been around the other EV's for a while, I have a friend with a Nissan Leaf, and while I can say "yes, these are electric cars" or PHEV's or whatever the Volt is, Tesla Model S is such a paradigm shift that the industry magazines aren't going to define its success, the Model S is going to define them.
There are still more than 10,000 people who are waiting for this car, with at least $5000 down, and over 2000 equivalent reservations for the Model X. That's the market talking about a new manufacturer with a "new" technology. That's market trends being established. if Motor Trend doesn't truly get this trend and celebrate it with an award, if there's a BMW or Chevrolet out there that they believe is better, then that's Motor Trend's trend. After today, we will know whether to call it Motor Trend or ICE Trend. Kim Reynolds is the only person at Motor Trend I have noticed who is writing about Tesla Motors. The question answered today is whether Kim is the only person talking about Tesla Motors at Motor Trend.

After today, we will know whether to call it Motor Trend or ICE Trend. Kim Reynolds is the only person at Motor Trend I have noticed who is writing about Tesla Motors. The question answered today is whether Kim is the only person talking about Tesla Motors at Motor Trend.
To be fair, they did award the Chevy Volt car of the year for 2011. I believe it was a well deserved award too.