Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it Conceivable to Go Back to ICE After Driving a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is one thing I miss from my ICE, the 6speed manual transmission...

That's one thing I miss from the good old days. Horse shoeing, shoveling the straw and waste from the barn, the feeling of the animal under my knees, being able to cover ten miles in an hour, the smell of horse sweat, etc. on my clothes, having to feed morning and evening, putting on the saddle and bridle....

Yet somehow I have overcome my excitements of yesteryear. My Tesla has no gearbox because it is beyond that. It makes no noise because it is beyond that. It is powered from sunlight that hits my home roof, so it makes no CO2 It is boyond that. It is safe, powerful, fast, and roomy, warm in winter, cool in summer. It is in every way better than any horse might have been.

But I guess it is natural to hang on to the past, and what we are familiar with, than moving on to a different and better future.

You won't want to go back to one. Sometimes you have to. The worst from me is having to jump in the F-800 bucket truck. That thing does 0-60 in about 4 minutes instead of 4 seconds. I enjoy the occasional drive in my classics, but never would I want to keep them as daily drivers.

That's one thing I miss from the good old days. Horse shoeing, shoveling the straw and waste from the barn, the feeling of the animal under my knees, being able to cover ten miles in an hour, the smell of horse sweat, etc. on my clothes, having to feed morning and evening, putting on the saddle and bridle....

Yet somehow I have overcome my excitements of yesteryear. My Tesla has no gearbox because it is beyond that. It makes no noise because it is beyond that. It is powered from sunlight that hits my home roof, so it makes no CO2 It is boyond that. It is safe, powerful, fast, and roomy, warm in winter, cool in summer. It is in every way better than any horse might have been.

But I guess it is natural to hang on to the past, and what we are familiar with, than moving on to a different and better future.

I see what you're trying to do here, and I'm sure you found it hilarious. But to each his/her own.

Let me add...
No plug, No deal.

The general EV advantages:
Convenience - it is simply so very convenient for me to wake up every morning with a full "tank".
Drive quality - quieter, smoother, more predictable.
Performance - 100% torque at zero RPM, instant response (no valves to open, no turbo to wind up, etc.)

Tesla specific
Best performance and drive quality of any EV.
User interface is remarkable.
Service is outstanding, far better than any I have experienced with Mercedes, Chevy, Saturn, Lexus, Oldsmobile.
OTA updates that add to the functionality of the car, simply amazing.

I don't expect to ever buy anything but a Tesla in the future, I feel safe stating I will never buy another ICE. If I am feeling nostalgic, I'd sooner buy a horse.

Awesome points! Thanks for your opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

capable of being imagined or grasped mentally?

Haha, the literal meaning, yes. But figuratively speaking, could you (as a Tesla owner) go back to an ICE vehicle and not hate every minute of it?

Great analogy. Haha

I'm clearly in the minority, but I like having both and going back and forth--the effortless, quiet, perhaps somewhat sterile Tesla experience, and the visceral experience of a two-seater with a V8, a manual transmission, and a throaty exhaust.

Well I suppose if your ICE car is an ASTON FRICKEN MARTIN! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

We now have 3 Model Ss in the family. It is for sure they are the preferred vehicle but we still need ICE for hauling and track duty.

Nice. Do you have a Model X reserved as well?

- - - Updated - - -

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

I technically only used it once.

Haha, the literal meaning, yes. But figuratively speaking, could you (as a Tesla owner) go back to an ICE vehicle and not hate every minute of it?

I have, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I stated my opinion here:

We have both. City driving the Tesla is now prime. Long distance trips is TBD, though I think it'll also be Tesla.

The Princess Bride:

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Especially humorous given your name is Max (another character in the movie).

lol, gotchya

No, never, ever. I've sworn that I will never by an ICE again. Never.

Nothing beats the smoothness of an EV.

I always feel bad for all the people I see at the gas station pumping dinosaurs into their vehicles.

I leased a Smart to replace our Gem city car. 4 months later my TDI Sportwagen odo had gone up less than 100 miles.

Sold the TDI last Friday. Hated driving it, just the idea of burning diesel has become lothesome and going to gas stations seems absurd. The clunky transmission and engine vibration annoying.

So now I have $18,000 in my model 3 account instead of losing value every month in my garage!

Going back to ICE willingly is hard to imagine. No, don't think it'll happen. Just have to make it 2 years with this tiny compliance car, then - total freedom!

Seems like an overwhelming agreement. So what is "it" about Tesla or EV that makes you never want to go back? And is this the beginning of the end for ICE?

Well, of course it is an overwhelming argument ! The guys who went back to ICE aren't in this forum anymore (and probably never were in the first place.)

That said, they are still some interesting points being made in this thread.

No. It is not "able to be imagined : imaginable or possible." At least not in my mind.

However, there have been a handful of people that have done it voluntarily. We will see how long they can hold out before they switch back to electric drive.

GSP

This. There are circumstances that may cause one to return to ICE for a while, but I have trouble believing anyone actually enjoys going back, despite the posts to the contrary.

I cringe every time I'm forced to do it. I now also hate the noise other cars make. If I'm sitting at a light and a noisy car comes up along side of me, even nice sports cars that I had previously loved, I become annoyed.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently, as it is time to replace my wife's car. We are seriously considering another Model S, making us a full Tesla household, as it's hard to go back to accepting gas stations, oil changes, and poor dealership experiences.

i grew up loving cars of all kinds, but nowadays find myself appreciating classic cars the most and, of course, our Tesla. But for daily driving, it's pretty hard to go back to a regular ICE.