Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it Conceivable to Go Back to ICE After Driving a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For my wife and I, it is inconceivable that we will ever buy another ICE. We will not return to 19th century technology in the 21st century. That would be nuts.
It would be like buying a land line telephone that required a phone company operator to place a call to your neighbor instead of buying a tiny device that fits in your pocket and let's you effortlessly communicate with billions of people all over the world for pennies and also provides access to a nearly infinite storehouse of accumulated human knowledge.

My family could really use a larger vehicle (SUV or minivan), but I am loathe to spend a dime on a ~20 mpg gas guzzler and am holding out for a Tesla S or X. My wife fully supports me in this, but we are very conservative with money, do not believe in auto loans or leases, and have other priorities. So for now, while we let our savings grow, we are making do with our 2011 LEAF for local and some regional driving. Recently we took the LEAF on a couple of camping trips at Joshua Tree National Park. All of the important stuff fit, but it was very tight, with no room for "extras"! Switching to our small ICE for long trips is painful, even though we are then free from the need to hyper-mile in order to extend the LEAF's now ~60 mile range.

So, no, aside from rental cars when on business travel, I will not directly support the manufacture of any additional ICE vehicles as long as I have any choice in the matter.

I have been thinking about this quite a bit recently, as it is time to replace my wife's car. We are seriously considering another Model S, making us a full Tesla household, as it's hard to go back to accepting gas stations, oil changes, and poor dealership experiences.

i grew up loving cars of all kinds, but nowadays find myself appreciating classic cars the most and, of course, our Tesla. But for daily driving, it's pretty hard to go back to a regular ICE.

Cool, Rock. Are you going to go with an ICE or another Tesla?

Hi All.

I am planning on purchasing a Model 3 when they are finally released. I know it's a ways away, but I can't wait (for many, many reasons).

I thought to myself "if I buy a Tesla, I don't think I will ever go back to a "regular" car again."

Can anybody vouch for this? Is it even possible to return to an ICE vehicle after owning a Tesla?

Thanks.

Absolutely. I will never buy an ICE vehicle ever again. EVER!

I will never buy another ICE for me, for all the reasons cited above.

But my wife and I did buy a new ICE for her 8 months after I got my Model S back in 2013 after hers started having mechanical issues, even realizing the tremendous advantages of an EV because of:
1. Form factor. She prefers compact SUVs (ease of getting kids in and out, ride height visibility, smaller so easier to park)
2. AWD. Not offered in any EV in 2013.

If someone had offered those in an EV in 2013 we would have bought it in a heartbeat. Here we are two years later and still no one does. There's a huge unserved market out there.

We've been Model X reservation holders since then, but the Model X may be too big for her comfort. So we may have to wait until the Model 3 SUV is released to go all EV. Can't wait.

Yeah. I got the chance to test drive a Model S when Tesla did a test drive event in my city. Since then, the current technology seems antique to me.

I wonder what % of people have caught on to this as of yet? Most people around me (work, friends, etc) don't seem to know anything about Tesla and when I mention the Model S I get a confused look in return.

For me the Tesla was the end of ICE as a commuter vehicle.

But, at the same time a vehicle can be so much more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

So I'll probably always have some kind of fun car as a side vehicle. Something like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited I have now where I can take the top off. Or maybe I'll trade that in down the road for some 6 speed manual visceral two seater. I tend to be a person of extremes so it's probably going to be very much on the other side of spectrum.

Yeah. I got the chance to test drive a Model S when Tesla did a test drive event in my city. Since then, the current technology seems antique to me.

I wonder what % of people have caught on to this as of yet? Most people around me (work, friends, etc) don't seem to know anything about Tesla and when I mention the Model S I get a confused look in return.

It is still a very low number, on the global scale. Which is, as you also shown in jhm's thread about blind faith price targets, why it's such a no brainer to invest as much as you can in TSLA today.

It is still a very low number, on the global scale. Which is, as you also shown in jhm's thread about blind faith price targets, why it's such a no brainer to invest as much as you can in TSLA today.

Agreed. I currently own 20 shares at a $200 basis. Worst part is that I've been watching this company since $35 a share but didn't have the b*lls or the foresight to pull the trigger. Better late than never I guess....I'm trying to convince a couple of my friends to buy some shares too but they remain skeptical.

When the extended warranty is up on our 2011 Odyssey we are planning on selling it and getting another tesla. In the last 3 months my wife went from not know what a tesla was to being their number one fan. She will never get anywhere close to the "rated" range as has discovered just how fast and fun the tesla is.

I'd argue that you can't go back to an ICE after driving a Volt, Leaf, Tesla, or any other true electric (not ford's fusion or CMAX that kick on the engine upon hard acceleration).

The wife still wants a C7 because it looks sexier than MS, but for the same reason I traded in my Jeep SRT8 for the Volt, we'll choose smart instead of sexy.

I don't see myself ever not having an EV. My 6 week old S convinced me of that.

But...

Sometimes I need to haul stuff. Right after getting the S I tried using it to haul several large bags of seed. One of the bags was not sealed and you can imagine the mess.

So I'll continue to use my trusty (it really is trusty) 500,000 km, 1994 Toyota pickup for hauling.

And then there's weather. I've enjoyed driving my S in the heavy rains we've been getting recently. Great handling. Love it.

But once the snow flies and the roads ice over I just don't see myself in the S on the worst days. Note that when I bought the S I also bought an extra set of wheels to put snow tires on. But while everything I've read tells me the S can handle it I just can't see myself subjecting Remonortsa (the car's name) to other drivers. Much better to get the truck dented and quickly fixed as opposed to Remonortsa getting dinged (awful thought) and spending seeks in the shop.

Oh, one other thing. Much as I love the network of chargers there are places out her in the west where you're lucky to find a gas station, let alone a charging station that isn't going to take couple of days to charge. No doubt that will change with time, but that time is not now.

BTW, unrelated to the topic but I had my S in my first ever car show today. So much fun to talk to people about the car. While it's still illegal to sell Teslas here in Utah I don't work for the company so I can talk the car up all I want and our dinosaur legislatures can't do anything about it. :)

Now go buy a Tesla!

Last edited:
I don't see myself ever not having an EV. My 6 week old S convinced me of that.

BTW, unrelated to the topic but I had my S in my first ever car show today. So much fun to talk to people about the car. While it's still illegal to sell Teslas here in Utah I don't work for the company so I can talk the car up all I want and our dinosaur legislatures can't do anything about it. :)

Now go buy a Tesla!

Great writeup thanks. What's with the name "Remonortsa"?! Utah is one of the states that has banned Tesla? I think it's outrageous. Do you think they will eventually lift the ban? And ya, from what I hear the Tesla can handle the snow just fine. Is yours a "D"?

Great writeup thanks. What's with the name "Remonortsa"?! Utah is one of the states that has banned Tesla? I think it's outrageous. Do you think they will eventually lift the ban? And ya, from what I hear the Tesla can handle the snow just fine. Is yours a "D"?

Sw2 got the name right. Yes, Utah does not allow sales of new Teslas. But it looks like that could change in the next legislative session.

Read it in a mirror...
;)

Are you some sort of "astronomer?" :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I've been working on my wife, who was leaning towards another luxury ICE SUV, and it seems to be working. Things like, "you know, it really is something when you remember gas is carcinogenic" and "I don't miss oil changes". :)

i think it's likely, but we're still in the shopping/consideration phase.

Haha, smooth. What about an X?