Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car started going thunk thunk while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was out driving today and as I drove around a parking lot I started hearing a quiet thunk sound that was as the equal speed to the wheel speed rotation. I sped up as does it I slow down as does it.

Well since I was out and about I just kept rolling because I had *sugar* to do and then drove home (abt 45 min drive freeway) the sound is now worse it's loud and is a definite THUNK THUNK as the wheel rolls around.

I couldn't figure out where exactly it's coming from with my head out the window and my wife was like yeah I hear it but she doesn't know what direction it's coming from either.

Also it would stop or be very quiet when I let off the throttle, if I feather the regen it makes the noise but if I just let off entirely it stops till I hit the throttle again, but when I was going downhill if I let off entirely it would make the noise. And going uphill it would be very quiet while I pressed the throttle.

Once home I put it on jacks and checkout each wheel area, half shaft, and everything. I manually spun each rotor and none of them make the sound. I even had it in tow mode so I could spin the back rotors.I didn't feel any slack in any of the CV joints. However, it did seem like there was a bit of slop in the front motor when I'd spin the half shaft from under the hood but still no sound and its totally possible that's the normal amount of play in the front end.

I got an appt at Tesla for Sunday to do a diagnostic but that's $250 I'd rather not piss away but I can't figure out what the hell that sounds is coming from. Anyone got an idea of what else I can check?