Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car is broke after holiday update anyone else have issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Drove about 50 miles this morning fine, got home, installed the holiday update. Went out after it was updated and on my way to the store I took off from a light, heard a thunk instantly and the traction control, regen were gone and the car was nerfed to less than chill mode power. Parked in a lot, had to use the manual door release because the button didn't work, rebooted a few times, and as soon as you put it in drive the errors come back and power is limited. Got home and after stopping completely, it takes about 5 seconds for the option to put it in reverse to come up. When it does go in reverse, it cut off once and went to neutral, then the second time it had about 5 hp to get it up into the garage.

Anyone else have issues after the update? Obviously there is a chance something broke and it's not associated, just seems like very peculiar timing that it happened on the first drive after updating, and not while the car was being thrashed on a full throttle launch or something.

PXL_20231224_022234458.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MrSlowEv
Here's a video of some random stuff happening. In the garage, try to move the car forward about 1 inch, car sensors go haywire and even though the car is not moving it says I'm going 5mph, clearance goes from 24" to none, then to 14" then back to 24". If something mechanical broke, none of the sensors would be acting this way, so I'm going to have to lean towards the update breaking the car.

Which build did you get exactly? Some of the holiday update builds had bugs that were fixed in later versions, but don’t know if yours is one of them. Could be a coincidence, so make a service appointment if you haven’t already. Better yet, contact Roadside Assistance since the car might not be safe to drive.

Which build did you get exactly? Some of the holiday update builds had bugs that were fixed in later versions, but don’t know if yours is one of them. Could be a coincidence, so make a service appointment if you haven’t already. Better yet, contact Roadside Assistance since the car might not be safe to drive.

It's the new version 2023.44.30.5.1

Car is in the garage & service scheduled. Hopefully no one out on a trip has this issue. It's a completely terrible idea to push a major software update on a holiday weekend when so many people are traveling. No one should've signed off on that.

There does seem to be a decent variety of issues with the 2023 Holiday Update. Seems to affect all models almost randomly, some folks have zero issues, others have varying failures/disabled features as a result. My 2020 S Performance has no ADAS feature as a result of 2023.44.30.6. I made a comment here linking some other threads on TMC and in /r/TeslaLounge with other owners having similar issues.

Mine's drivable, but no TACC/AP/FSD, haven't heard from service with the holiday weekend and all, but we'll see what they say.

Reactions: Sam1
Dude I have the same problem with my '22 MS. Holiday update killed it. Scheduled an appt with the SC but have to wait until the 30th. Really hoping the car will survive the 20min highway drive there.

Bloody frustrating. Ugh.
View attachment 1002947
Can you get them to push a software refresh before driving to the SC?

Maybe reprogramming all the controllers would restore those safety features.

I just can’t see a motor or inverter failure affecting your park sensors, as shown in the video you posted. These systems seem unrelated. I very well could be wrong, as I don’t have any mechanical/technical experience on this car line. My opinion is that it’s an issue involving the software update.

I just can’t see a motor or inverter failure affecting your park sensors, as shown in the video you posted. These systems seem unrelated. I very well could be wrong, as I don’t have any mechanical/technical experience on this car line. My opinion is that it’s an issue involving the software update.
Agree,but without being able to pull a full diagnostic from the car I didn't want to pigeonhole myself into an incorrect assertion.

Reactions: MrSlowEv