Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door handles used to auto present when unplugging car, but after recent update no longer do it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 S Plaid. I set auto present handles to off when I’m parked at home.

It used to be that when the car was plugged in at home, anytime I unplugged the car, the handles would auto-present. After the second to last update (don’t remember the number, but current version is 44.30.7), this behavior no longer happens when I unplug the car. Now I have to unplug, then touch the door handle to get it to present.

Anyone else notice this? Not really an issue, I just find it odd that the cars behavior would change like that.

You said you turned off auto present handles at home, but the car auto presented handles at home when you unplugged it before the update. Seems like the update fixed incorrect behavior, but check your settings to make sure the update didn’t change them.

It actually makes more sense to autopresent when unplugging but not when approaching the car otherwise, so this “incorrect behavior” made more sense. It’s annoying and unnecessary to wake up the car every time you pass thru your garage but it’s a safer bet you want that and need to drive off when unplugging and the car wakes up anyways. If only Tesla had a feature feedback.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
You said you turned off auto present handles at home, but the car auto presented handles at home when you unplugged it before the update. Seems like the update fixed incorrect behavior, but check your settings to make sure the update didn’t change them.
See the quote below. Maybe it’s not correct behavior, but it does make sense to me. If I unplug the car, generally that means I’m about to take it out. But, if I’m passing though the garage (we keep a freezer in there, tools, etc) to get something, I don’t want the car to wake up.

It’s not a big deal, but I do prefer the prior behavior.

It actually makes more sense to autopresent when unplugging but not when approaching the car otherwise, so this “incorrect behavior” made more sense. It’s annoying and unnecessary to wake up the car every time you pass thru your garage but it’s a safer bet you want that and need to drive off when unplugging and the car wakes up anyways. If only Tesla had a feature feedback.