Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Fix] Model S door handle presenting but not opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just successfully repaired one of my doorhandles on my S and figured I would do a write up of this in the event others run into this.

I had my door handle make screeching sounds and go in and out of the car repeatedly, followed by the door handle presenting but not opening the door. Having replaced a few door handles on my S I figured it was either the microswitches or the paddle gears so went about disassembling the door and handle mechanism.

However, when repackaged I noted that the handle was still giving the same issue of presenting without any ability to open the door from the outside. While some forum posts say replace the door actuator/latch, I found another post and promptly removed and replaced fuses 32, 40, and 41 as denoted below:
IMG_3170.jpg
IMG_3169.jpg

Upon replacing these fuses I gained functionality back in the handle and have not had any issues. This is definitely worth trying given it is significantly less effort than other solutions for fixing your door if you are getting symptoms. All of this was replaced with a ~$6 assorted fuse kit from amazon

Just successfully repaired one of my doorhandles on my S and figured I would do a write up of this in the event others run into this.

I had my door handle make screeching sounds and go in and out of the car repeatedly, followed by the door handle presenting but not opening the door. Having replaced a few door handles on my S I figured it was either the microswitches or the paddle gears so went about disassembling the door and handle mechanism.

However, when repackaged I noted that the handle was still giving the same issue of presenting without any ability to open the door from the outside. While some forum posts say replace the door actuator/latch, I found another post and promptly removed and replaced fuses 32, 40, and 41 as denoted below:
View attachment 1000831View attachment 1000832

Upon replacing these fuses I gained functionality back in the handle and have not had any issues. This is definitely worth trying given it is significantly less effort than other solutions for fixing your door if you are getting symptoms. All of this was replaced with a ~$6 assorted fuse kit from amazon
That looked so simple I went to give it a try today, however the fuse box in my model S (2016.5) doesn’t look anything like yours. What do the three fuses go to?

good morning everyone. hope all is well. great information. thank you for sharing. new tesla model s owner and finding these types of information is very helpful. definitely going to try this and hoping this would take care of the issue. has anyone in this forum has to replace front bumper?

View attachment 1000831View attachment 1000832

i was really hoping this would take care of my car issue, but unfortunately didn't work.

So, what is the issue your car has? Did you tried to fix the handle or did you changed the whole unit out? Was the fuse change that did not solved your issue? If you change the handle to new then you might need to let the car know it too. Have a look here, there are some steps to take for it.

So, what is the issue your car has? Did you tried to fix the handle or did you changed the whole unit out? Was the fuse change that did not solved your issue? If you change the handle to new then you might need to let the car know it too. Have a look here, there are some steps to take for it.
hello everyone,
good afternoon. hope everyone is doing well. i need some guidance in fixing rear door handle on my tesla model s. so the read door handle on the car presents and retracts, but when pulled the door doesn't open. i even tried few suggestions that were shared here as looked at the wires in the rubber cover, but nothing looked broken. so i decided to look into the wires in the door. while tugging on all the wires 2 (white and black wires) came apart so i was like oh great this must be it, but after reading multiple comments and watching many videos i was able to remove the door handle i couldn't find it anywhere where those wires couldn't have come off from. the door still doesn't open and it's getting frustrating. please help.
thank you