Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS2016 driver handle not presenting, not opening, can't find the reason

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The test @Julien000 is pointing you at is to see if the rear door allows you to open it, both inside and outside. The doors are wired daisy changed and if there is any issue on the harness between front door and the car you are not able to open rear ones. Front doors have mechanical cable connected to door handles, rear’s have emergency release cable’s been ducted away by the floor carpet under each side seat at rear.

So I am experiencing the same issue with my right rear handle and have done many of the same steps as you (tested voltage, wire continuity, handle motor with 12v power source, etc.) and several additional steps - I have bought a handle with same model number and swapped the module and it is still not detected. Updated the micro switches with the flexbile wire. I acquired a third handle and tried it, still not detected. I disconnected the door control unit at the front door and rebooted the car, then plugged it back in to see if maybe in needs to rediscover / rescan the devices on the LIN. Still not detected. Now I have ordered a used Door Control Unit from eBay for $20 and I may replace that next. That may require Tesla toolbox to program so I am hesitant. I cannot find any info on how to swap control units and what is required, does it need to learn the VIN to talk to the ECU, etc.
IMG_3950.jpeg
IMG_3949.jpeg
IMG_3953.jpeg
(Ignore the plug disconnected on the handle in the photo as that is before I buttoned everything up). Either way, I will update this post if I find anything.

So I am experiencing the same issue with my right rear handle and have done many of the same steps as you (tested voltage, wire continuity, handle motor with 12v power source, etc.) and several additional steps - I have bought a handle with same model number and swapped the module and it is still not detected. Updated the micro switches with the flexbile wire. I acquired a third handle and tried it, still not detected. I disconnected the door control unit at the front door and rebooted the car, then plugged it back in to see if maybe in needs to rediscover / rescan the devices on the LIN. Still not detected. Now I have ordered a used Door Control Unit from eBay for $20 and I may replace that next. That may require Tesla toolbox to program so I am hesitant. I cannot find any info on how to swap control units and what is required, does it need to learn the VIN to talk to the ECU, etc.View attachment 1008445View attachment 1008443View attachment 1008441(Ignore the plug disconnected on the handle in the photo as that is before I buttoned everything up). Either way, I will update this post if I find anything.
Very unlucky!!

Have you tried to check the wiring in the door and also the front door? That's a common problem and if one wire is cut, you won't have any signal.

Very unlucky!!

Have you tried to check the wiring in the door and also the front door? That's a common problem and if one wire is cut, you won't have any signal.
Yep… and it is a strange one. I traced the wires to the front door control unit when I disconnected it and they have continuity. Also the LIN and 12v wires have voltage (10 and 12 respectively) at the rear handle connector which tells me they have a connection to the door control unit at the front door.

Update of the day, I finally found some time to replace the handle module by a brand new one. The handle behaves exactly the same as before so not improvement.

I put the one I removed in the rear door handle and the rear is working fine now.

So it tells me that the only part in the middle that should send the handle version model to the MCU (which is still unknown), and that is between the fuse that blew up and the handle module, is the Door Control Module.

I'll try to replace this one, and then, if it doesn't, I'll bring the car to the Tesla.

Update of the day, I finally found some time to replace the handle module by a brand new one. The handle behaves exactly the same as before so not improvement.

I put the one I removed in the rear door handle and the rear is working fine now.

So it tells me that the only part in the middle that should send the handle version model to the MCU (which is still unknown), and that is between the fuse that blew up and the handle module, is the Door Control Module.

I'll try to replace this one, and then, if it doesn't, I'll bring the car to the Tesla.
Do you know for sure the handle module you bought is for a left front one?

Also if you disconnect the manual inner release cable for the front door it still opens from the inside?

Do you know for sure the handle module you bought is for a left front one?

Also if you disconnect the manual inner release cable for the front door it still opens from the inside?

1- That's a good question and actually I'm not sure how I could double check that in a sense that I ordered a brand new module with the same reference as the initial one.

2-Yes it opens through the electonic switch from the inside, so it means the door latch works properly and honestly, I'm starting to think I will "duplicate" this switch signal to the one in the handle and make the car thinks I use the internal handle everytime. (not easy to explain that in English...).

1- That's a good question and actually I'm not sure how I could double check that in a sense that I ordered a brand new module with the same reference as the initial one.

2-Yes it opens through the electonic switch from the inside, so it means the door latch works properly and honestly, I'm starting to think I will "duplicate" this switch signal to the one in the handle and make the car thinks I use the internal handle everytime. (not easy to explain that in English...).

Is there a part nr on that handle module?

Since left front and rear door handle share the same linbus they must/need to have their own address.

Agreed with the blown fuse, to bad left front door handle and door module share the same fuse

Is there a part nr on that handle module?

Since left front and rear door handle share the same linbus they must/need to have their own address.

Agreed with the blown fuse, to bad left front door handle and door module share the same fuse

Yes, the part number is 1022379-00-B and seems to be the same without regards to the handle location.

Don't you think the Linbus signal go to DCM then the door module manages separetly the signal for the front and rear handles?

20240122_202937.jpg

Yes, the part number is 1022379-00-B and seems to be the same without regards to the handle location.

Don't you think the Linbus signal go to DCM then the door module manages separetly the signal for the front and rear handles?

View attachment 1011349
They're all connected to same linbus (LF handle, LR handle and window things see wiring diagram) but they must have their own 'digital adress' so DCM can talk to them individually. DCM is master and rest is slave.

It doesn't make sense that all lin components on that linbus connected to DCM are working except LF handle. I'd be surprised if DCM is broken but nothing is impossible.

So your old LF and LR inner door handle modules share the same partnumber??

They're all connected to same linbus (LF handle, LR handle and window things see wiring diagram) but they must have their own 'digital adress' so DCM can talk to them individually. DCM is master and rest is slave.

It doesn't make sense that all lin components on that linbus connected to DCM are working except LF handle. I'd be surprised if DCM is broken but nothing is impossible.

So your old LF and LR inner door handle modules share the same partnumber??
I agree that it doesn't make sense but at least I'll be one step further troubleshooting the problem.

Based on my research all handles share the same parts number, so at some point, there must be a programming or something to do to make the system recognize the handle.

One thing that came to my mind is to check if the wiring from the outer handle to the latch is not broken? Why would you had then the blown fuse? Can’t confirm that there is separate cable from the outer handle and from the inner handle. But how would the car know to act if you use either inner or outer hadle?

Reactions: Julien000
One thing that came to my mind is to check if the wiring from the outer handle to the latch is not broken? Why would you had then the blown fuse? Can’t confirm that there is separate cable from the outer handle and from the inner handle. But how would the car know to act if you use either inner or outer hadle?

That's a good question and actually there is no wiring between the handle and the latch.

According to the diagram, the handle sends information to the DCM, internal handle switch sends a different info to the DCM, then the DCM interprets it and sends an info for the latch to open.

I checked the wiring and everything seems to be good.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I agree that it doesn't make sense but at least I'll be one step further troubleshooting the problem.

Based on my research all handles share the same parts number, so at some point, there must be a programming or something to do to make the system recognize the handle.
I checked with @Mr.P. he has 2 spare door handle modules (RF and RR) and they both share same partnr 102237900B so that confirms your research BUT I still think they are not interchangeable due to different flashed firmware in the handle module itself.

Here EG confirms you cannot interchange door handle modules:

So if I'm right there is a 75% change you didn't received a LF door handle module.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mr.P. and Julien000
I checked with @Mr.P. he has 2 spare door handle modules (RF and RR) and they both share same partnr 102237900B so that confirms your research BUT I still think they are not interchangeable due to different flashed firmware in the handle module itself.

Here EG confirms you cannot interchange door handle modules:

So if I'm right there is a 75% change you didn't received a LF door handle module.
Thanks @Gtech that'S really interesting!

So now the question is, how can you identify the location of a handle module?
What about a new one? if they share the same part number, there must be a way to first program the module and "write" its position.

I checked the Tesla Service manual handle replacement and the mention a firmware reinstall has to be done. Maybe it's related to that, IDK.

1706108218406.png

Thanks @Gtech that'S really interesting!

So now the question is, how can you identify the location of a handle module?
Unless you can read LIN signals don't think you can or you can try fitting it to every door to see when it responds.

What about a new one? if they share the same part number, there must be a way to first program the module and "write" its position.
Good question, now they only sell gen 2.1 and 3.0 door handles so no specific parts from old obsolete handles. I believe in the past you could not buy separate door handle modules for gen 2.0 only complete with plastic housing.

I checked the Tesla Service manual handle replacement and the mention a firmware reinstall has to be done. Maybe it's related to that, IDK.

View attachment 1011768
Believe that procedure is for gen 2.1 and 3.0 handles.

Not exactly, I did the CAN redeployment, and I have to admit I fear a bit trying to redeploy the "whole" system.

Don't think it can do any harm, only thing is that 'full' takes longer then just 'CAN'

Not sure if 'full' is just CAN, DAS and IC combined or that some LIN stuff is updated with 'full' also.

I have a old offline service manual and it was mandatory to redeploy with a 'new' door handle so I would just give it a spin.

Screenshot_20240125_202007_Drive.jpg